parking brake removal

SheeRida

ok so i want to remove the parking brake and switch on an 02 banshee. im running into a problem. if i unplug the switch i cant start it. or if its idling and i unplug it it will die. any thoughts on this?

cut the wires and tie them together i believe. if it doesn't start then separate them. it's been so long i cant remember.

• 3 years later...

no i removed the tors as well. n pretty possitive its the only 2 wire connector on the clutch perch. my bike will idle but will not rev at all. it dies if u barely touch the throttle. like im losing spark or sumpn.

Unplug the T.O.R.S. Brain, the throttle switch and if it continues it may be a short in the Parking brake wire to cdi. I think its a green wire with a yellow stripe if i remember correctly but if it touches ground it activates a rev limiter/parking brake safety dealio.

Edited by uman1030

I recently removed mine on my bike and I just took the tank off and followed the wires coming from the parking brake to under the tank and simply disconnected the connector and it was fine. Are you sure you are not disconnecting the on/off switch that's on the clutch side?

But if you wanna completely remove the parking brake in all you should start from the rear of the bike and work your way forward. First thing you should do is order a PARKING BRAKE BLOCK OFF PLATE, usually about $12 and it comes with an o ring, bolts and block off plate. You will need to install this where the parking brake mechanism is attached to the rear brake caliper.

But this is what I did and I'm not saying this is the correct way but it's what I did with no issue:

1: Remove parking brake mechanism from rear brake caliper, you will see that it has a cable running into it with a spring. I believe it's with a 6mm Allen wrench that you will remove the 2 bolts that hold p brake mechanism in place.

2: One mechanism is off you can install block off plate with o ring and bolts supplied. This block off is not absolutely necessary but good to keep all the gunk out of caliper and prevent future problems.

3: Remove spring off of parking brake mechanism, that should take the tension off the p brake cable. You slide cable out and that should give you the clearance to slide the cable through all the loops that keep it in place all the way to the clutch perch.

4: If I can remember correctly you will need an 8mm wrench and a flat head screw driver to remove the parking brake trigger from clutch perch. Unscrew the bolt that holds it in place (this is after you remove cable that ran from front to back of bike) and slide assembly off the perch.

5: All you will have left at this point is the small parking brake switch/sensor that has wires coming out of it, you remove it by (if I can remember) is stick a flat head in the little lock tabs that hold it into the parking brake assembly on clutch perch. Once out you can trace wires down and disconnect from the small connector under tank.

This should delete your parking brake all together. Again I'm no pro just going off of what I did!!

Good luck

Edited by 2STROKIN_IT