Shift shaft

heater

Ok so I tore apart the clutch cover and looked at the shift shaft. Is there nothing keeping it from moving all the way out to the clutch basket. The claw the fits over the star keeps moving all the way off and not even hitting the star. It also looks like there is a lot of movement with the claw. The spring isn't tight at all and doesn't keep it centered. I figure a new shift shaft assy for sure but why is that shaft moving so much?

Ok so I tore apart the clutch cover and looked at the shift shaft. Is there nothing keeping it from moving all the way out to the clutch basket. The claw the fits over the star keeps moving all the way off and not even hitting the star. It also looks like there is a lot of movement with the claw. The spring isn't tight at all and doesn't keep it centered. I figure a new shift shaft assy for sure but why is that shaft moving so much?

There is a boss on the clutch cover that keeps the shaft from moving when the cover is on the motor. It is very common for the hook and spring on the shift shaft to get loose and sloppy. If you need to buy a shift shaft, get a modded one from FAST. It is about the same money as a stocker and it will improve your shifting. ALSO, while you are in there check your kick idler gear for play on the tranny shaft, if it wobbles or wiggles at all it is time for a new bushing in it, also from FAST. If the gear wobbles, it can flip the snap ring off the shaft and then you have metal pieces running through your gears and tearing things up. I had to replace my idler gear, clutch basket, crank gear, and water pump gear when mine did it at the dunes, not to mention going to 3 different shops to get all the pieces.

If the motor is old it may be a good idea to replace a lot of the moving parts in there.. These are the parts I would replace.

1. Idler gear rear washer

2. Idler gear bushing

3. Idler gear front lock washer

4. Idler gear clip

5. Shift shaft tension spring

6. Shift shaft (modded)

All these parts can be found at FAST Racing. Jeff keeps them all in stock and ready to ship out. 785-364-5325 or FASTOYS here on BansheeHQ.