Before I start throwing parts at it!

banshee21

Ok went riding last weekend and everything was normal until a few hours into the ride it starting missing at high rpms but it would sometimes come and go getting worse and better, the more I rode it the worse it got, so I took it home and check compression, jetting is fine I have ran the same jet settings for years now,new plugs, new gas, checked the reeds they are fine,it is getting spark but I think its electrical, now when I go fire it up for the first time that day it runs fine for about 2-3 minutes then after that the missing progressively gets worse, It revs great if in neutral or clutch is pulled in, just when its under load is when it happens, I tested the stator, pick up coil and they are fine, now the coil reads good on primary and secondary, could the coil be getting hot and breaking down? Idles great and runs great until top end which is when it starts missing.

Did you confirm the correct gap on the pick-up and make sure the timing hasn't slipped (if it's adjustable)? As far as the coil goes, it happens all the time on older vehicles, can't rule it out on the 'shee as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably start checking plug wires too.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

I jjust pulled the flywheel to check stator wires and what not, pickup gap is proper, I do have a adj. timing plate but it is still set at +4, I took the boots off the plug wires and it looks good cant seem to figure out how to disconnect the plug wires from the coil though, I see there is four little tabs, but then what I tried to wiggle them off and nothing happens, and I am afraid of pulling to hard and breaking something.

my banshee did the same thing i spent a long ass time messing with it all because my stator tested fine then about 6 months later i said fuck it an put a new stator in it and it ran perfect

I thought it was the stator too thats why I started with one of those but that didnt fix it, I just bought a new coil it should be here tuesday so we will see.

As coils heat up during use thats when they fail. A hint start with the cheapest part and progress to the most expensive component if your going to guess. I learned about coils the hard way in our boat out in the lake. Drive for a few an then anchor for a while it was long trip home. Any way fire it up and run it till it's running real crappy, the pull the wires and check ohms.

I had a bad coil that was doing exactly what you're experiencing... try swaping that with someone.

Also check your connections at all plugs, clean and lube them while your at it. check your frame ground, if that was bouncing around or if your connection wasn't clean that might cause some trouble.

I Am having the same problem with my shee right now. I have replace the stator with a new one when the bolt back out of the old one & F it all up. I have check all of the grounds & cleaned them. Clean & lube all of the plugs. Tested all of the wiring all good there. tested the coil & it tested fine. So I was thinking the coil is failing when hot So I replaced it with a new nology coil & wires from fast. I hope to test it this weekend. I will let you know if it fixed it for me. Good luck with it & keep us posted.