what gear??

trigg

DEPENDING ON THE TRACK 1ST OR 2ND, YOU HAVE TO PUT TRACK CONDITION INTO CONSIDERATION TOO, PLAY WITH IT AND PRACTICE IN BOTH, ANYTHING OVER 2ND WILL JUST BOG DOWN AND YOU WONT GO ANYWHERE. LATER

what gear do you lot start a race in to get the hle shot, i ask this as i have just gone for a -2 swingarm gearing 15/42 ?

jiffers

im with evil track conditions mean everything, 15/42? does that mean your not sure of your gearing or is 15/42 good gearing? your rear suspension makes a big diff in getting off the line as well, as does your clutch and engine mods, theres a fine line between rolling on the gas and having all hell break loose when you launch, practice is the key, the faster you can get it to the ground the faster your start will be, watching the other riders jump the line makes you anxious, focus on your bike, find the sweet spot in your power band and use it to your advantage....

With my stock gearing I start in 3rd and still pull the wheels off the ground a few inches ( a perfect holeshot)on dirt, concrete I just roast them, even in 3rd, no matter how bad a slip the clutch. Im about to try a 15 tooth foot and see if I can get better on concrete.
you will most definatly bennefit from a 15, if i was straight lining her id try a 16 too you might just pull it fine, blast outta the gate in first and stretch it out and youd be amazed how hard you'll pull

no im MXing it. First is waay to short now and second is close. My motors not stock. Im running a 370 with milled head and intake mods and T-5's so it raps out pretty quick. If i start in second Im the last off the line. I tried it and white smoked them lol
whats the geomitry of your bike like? thats where your hook is.....you might have to tame that fucker and gear it tall for MX

• 1 month later...

THEIR RIGHT,JUST PLAY MITH THE GEARS YOU'LL FIND IT. I'M RUNNIG 12-40 SPROCKETS WITCH GEAR IT 3.33 TWO BELOW STOCK WHITCH IS 2.93. YOUR GEARED 2.80 ONE ABOVE STOCK.MY MOTOR IS NOT STOCK AND I START IN SECOND MOST TIMES UNLESS IT IS DRY THEN THIRD.MOST TIMES IN THE TOP THREE OFF THE LINE. SET UP ON THE FRONT OF THE SEAT TO KEEP FRONT DOWN THEN SLIDE TO THE BACK TO GET TRACKTION PUSH THROTTLE HANG ON

THEIR RIGHT,JUST PLAY MITH THE GEARS YOU'LL FIND IT. I'M RUNNIG 12-40 SPROCKETS WITCH GEAR IT 3.33 TWO BELOW STOCK WHITCH IS 2.93. YOUR GEARED 2.80 ONE ABOVE STOCK.MY MOTOR IS NOT STOCK AND I START IN SECOND MOST TIMES UNLESS IT IS DRY THEN THIRD.MOST TIMES IN THE TOP THREE OFF THE LINE. SET UP ON THE FRONT OF THE SEAT TO KEEP FRONT DOWN THEN SLIDE TO THE BACK TO GET TRACKTION PUSH THROTTLE HANG ON
damm scott where are you riding were a 12 up front works? whats the length of your swing arm?

i run a -2, with full race Elkas with a ride height of 9"s, geared either 16/41 or 15/41, and i race in the Southern California outdoor tracks, we race open expert, that means your point standing doesnt keep you off the track, if i ran a stock swing arm and a 12 up front id get seriously smoked, from anything from a new duncan 450 to a 400 ex, if i do ever hit the expert class ill go to the new 450, on the tracks if im riding a stock arm and a twelve up front...... i just dont see any hook with that setup...but your terrain may be different than what im in...

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I'VE BEEN RUNNING AN OUTLAW SERIES IN NORTH CAROLINA. PARTS OF THE TRACK IS TIGHT RED CLAY OTHERS ARE LOOSE SANDY.THERE ARE A FEW TIGHT TURNS WITH SOME DECENT SIZE DOUBLES AFTER,THE GEAR I'M RUNNING MAKES IT EASY TO CLEAR THEM. SAT IS THE LAST RACE IN THE SERIES AND I'M LEADING IN PIONTS,SO GIVING CONSIDERATION TO THE TALLER GEAR FOR IT . HOW DOES THE SHORTER ARM JUMP,STOCK IS ALITTLE NOSE HEAVY.

it jumps real nice scott, on long jumps the bike doesnt dive forward it pretty much stays at the level you left the ramp on, providing your front ends pushed forward with a-arms, i still dont see how you hook at all unless your using 4th 5th and 6th to my 2cnd 3rd and 4th, i practice to a clock and the lower gears just spin me around the track even with a -2,and i loose time fast, i have another shee with a stock arm 15/41 and its a wild ride on the track, i cant see running a twelve, but if your placeing with it i say Go for it........

Scott,

I was in macon this past weekend, my motor is a duncan national kit, I have the roll design front end, and a -1 laeger swingarm. I ran 16/41 and had no problem clearing the man killer on the back straight. 110 foot down hill triple, come out the berm nailed in third, clicked four and left the face with the pipes screaming. I only over shot the landing once by about two feet, but thank god for long travel. I live in S Carolina, what tracks are you racing at, is it mx or tt or flat track. I want to go race a few flat tracks in NC, I've personally never race one. I've run a few tt's in kentucky but everything else is atva national tracks.

tats you can go to www.ncdirtrider.com to find tracks.go to photogallery,arcives,lexington motorcross.this is the track i'v been running.the jumps in the pictures are the smaller ones.this is the first year on a banshee,i like it.not done with it ,done some suspension work and a little to the motor,just bolt ons mostly.plan on going into the motor this winter.still going to finish this series ok.crack my swing arm last race got another stock one to finish with but plan on going to a -1 or -2 for next year.got several people wanting to do my motor work but not sure about if they can, got any sugestions ? they run a pro class at the track i race that the pay back is 150% entry fee is 25.00.mostly 250r's and 400, a guy that has been running the series has just got a r done he's been builing,he is supose to run it sat.he duped 25,000 in it ort to be interseting.goning to try taller gears and more throttle sat it is the last race in this series.