NEW TOP END

My banshee has no compression, i can move the kickstart all the way down with my hand with no force

my bike starts though :confused: , but i need a new top end

im new to banshees so what would be the best stock top end to buy

or even an aftermarket top end if the price isnt too crazy

im going to buy an compression tester right now , there suppose to be 175 in both cylinders correct ?

thanks

That's stupidly low on compression.. My god... It still runs!!!? lol Have u been fouling plugs?

To answer your question.. YES! it's time for a new topend. You need to put a new top end in every 40ish hours. Or by the general rule of thumb "Every set of tires". And by that I don't meant a new bore/hone, pistons, just throw some rings in it if the cylinders/pistions look good.

What I would do, is send the cylinders to a sponsor. FAST/HJR, etc. Ask them to bore/hone and send you back the necessary pistions/rings.

OR...

Send the cylinders out to a sponsor. Tell them you want a port job. . . They'll really make ur banshee scream and get you an entire new topend for only about 300 bucks.

That's stupidly low on compression.. My god... It still runs!!!? lol Have u been fouling plugs?

To answer your question.. YES! it's time for a new topend. You need to put a new top end in every 40ish hours. Or by the general rule of thumb "Every set of tires". And by that I don't meant a new bore/hone, pistons, just throw some rings in it if the cylinders/pistions look good.

What I would do, is send the cylinders to a sponsor. FAST/HJR, etc. Ask them to bore/hone and send you back the necessary pistions/rings.

OR...

Send the cylinders out to a sponsor. Tell them you want a port job. . . They'll really make ur banshee scream and get you an entire new topend for only about 300 bucks.

fouling plugs ?? lol im new and i didnt do anything i just got the bike about 4 days ago

im just trying to fix it up and make it look nice

but i might as well buy new pistons /w rings

but if i buy new pistons does that require new heads or i can use my old ones ????

thanks for the response btw

Ok, since you obviously dont know what youre doing ill tell you what you going to need to do it yourself.

1. get a cylmers manuel

2. get a torque wrench

3. get a vernier caliper and measure the bore size and buy a piston acorddingly, if it needs bored make sure you check the piston to wall clearance.

4. buy wiesco pistons

5. check your rod bearings ( no up and down play, some side to side)

6. make sure the crank spins easaly

7. use good quaility gaskets ( oem, cometic)

8. if you dont feel capable of doing this send it off to a builder.

Ok, since you obviously dont know what youre doing ill tell you what you going to need to do it yourself.

1. get a cylmers manuel

2. get a torque wrench

3. get a vernier caliper and measure the bore size and buy a piston acorddingly, if it needs bored make sure you check the piston to wall clearance.

4. buy wiesco pistons

5. check your rod bearings ( no up and down play, some side to side)

6. make sure the crank spins easaly

7. use good quaility gaskets ( oem, cometic)

8. if you dont feel capable of doing this send it off to a builder.

never done a top end before but i know i can do it

im pretty good with my hands and tools

but im still going to give it to a mechanic

im buying the wiesco pistons which ones should i buy

are these good ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WISECO-BANSHEE-TOP-END-PISTONS-PISTON-513MO6425-/140480756760?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b54e3c18

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230303206414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

these are over size would it fit in my regular cylinder head ?

IMO... Spend an extra 150 bucks.. Pull the cylinders off, ship them to a sponsor and have them port your cylinders. (it'll make ur banshee go faster) and have the sponsor bore and hone them. You need to get the cylinders bored and honed anyways for the new topend. For what you'll pay a shop to do it, it's almost worth it to send it to a site sponsor.

http://www.herrjugsracing.com/Yamaha_Banshee.html

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/services.asp

That's just two.. MANY other sponsors in bansheehq can do it as well. Trust me.. It'll be worth EVERY penny to get it ported for your own riding style. Just rebuilt my new motor.. Leaning over the damn front bumper in 5th gear and the damn front end still hates touching the ground.

if i was to check where should i ? on the piston correct

bike looks like an stock top end though

what your not understanding is that you need to have your cylinders taken off the bike and taken to a shop and have them bored out. this is where they grind down the cylinder walls with special machinery......to give you a smooth perfectly round cylinder again. But before they do that they have have to measure hwo big they are going to make the cylinder and how much to remove. What a good machinist will do is order your pistons in and then bore your cylinders to the correct size that your pistons that he recieved. it gets sketchy to bore and THEN buy the pistons.