Ported Banshee runs good but not near the power it should have......

I weigh 142 pounds....

The clutch might be slipping. its not the best.... I'm not sure

When I called Kevin at HJR I told him I was thinking about getting a trail port.... but he said fattys work best with a dune port....

I did my own timing mod.... maybe I did something wrong and my timing is way off..... is there a way to stick a timing light on a banshee.... I did it one time on a suzuki 185 four-stroke using a car battery because the fourwheeler didn't have one.....

here is a video running through all six gears.... I went easy on the launch... less than 1/2 throttle in first gear.... then I nailed it halfway through first.....

I agree unless its the shit pipes doing that.

And learn to start power shifting. Slipped the clutch to shift and hold it WOT till you let off at the end of the race.

Edited by RagunCajun

I said this in another post, but it may help you..

you need to learn how to control the power you do have.

9 times out of 10, if you can get the whole shot, you'll get the race.

When I ran my "Just piped" banshee against a yfz450 with a full exhaust, we were [neck and neck].. but that's also because out of the whole I had more balls. I know which wheeler "SHOULD" be faster, but it all depends on the operator too. The guy I raced does XC racing, some playing around on tracks, but just about every time we raced on pavement I could get him buy about 1 length through 1st gear. DON'T let off the gas!! Ever.. lol clutch fast, and keep it pinned. If you can grab the whole shot, you're probably not slow enough to make the difference.

I've been racing people for 6 years that way on a motor that never had a bolt turned. Don't be afraid to let that throttle stay pinned. I'd try to clutch a little better as well. I know that's only ONE launch out of 100's you've probably done, but you don't EVER want to let off the throttle in a drag. Practice controlling the power from a dead stop without letting off the gas. Whether you feather the clutch more, or use less throttle.

I also agree with the others. ur mixture is using too much oil. Here's what I think.. Oil creates heat, (believe it or not) and too much oil is bad.. Your timing, mixture, and jetting needs to be reworked. I'd start over from scratch on 32:1. Try running a 320/310 main. Depending on ur ele, etc. That's where I would start anyways.

The biggest reason most of us are saying "operator error" is basically because a ported/piped,stroked blah blah blah banshee should tear a yfz a new one..

Edited by figuare9

First off i commend you on running lots of oil. 20:1 is maybe a little overkill on gas but your not hurting anything if your not fouling plugs. Calvin at CP did a test a couple of times on the dyno and every time they put more oil in, the bikes made more power everything from 50:1 all the way down to 10:1 but the bike was "cloudy" and fouled plugs easier with lots of oil. I have so many people that think less oil the better "wrong!" this is the only lubrication we have people dont starve your bike with oil. If your car takes 5 qts of oil would you only run 4 to save money? You will get a ton of people that will say "ive been running 50:1 or 40:1 for years with no problems" maybe so but that dont make it better than running more oil. There are a ton of variables that could cause bike to be lacking in performance which is really hard to diagnose from a small video and a description. The plug looks a little fat to me but its hard to tell from a picture. I would drop back the the 300 main and check it again. Make sure your filter is clean and the outerwear is still clean. Pull the outerwear off if you have one and ride it again. Next be sure that you did your timing mod correctly and didn't retard the timing. You should have rotated the stator plate clockwise from its factory location. Next check your reeds and make sure that the are still stiff and in one piece. Last thing i would like to see is the dome design, it maybe less than favorable for your setup and that can play a huge factor.

Then with all of these things favorable it may just be setup, something like rider ability, tires, traction, clutching, suspension ect....

I was having some of the same problems with my ported shee. I couldnt seem t pull on the hills very well. I took the machine to Wildcard racing and was getting a 4 mil done. Foundout I had big electrical problems. Turns out I had lots of problems with the elecrtical starting with the CDI. Get that stuff looked at (CDI, coil, stator, and flywheel). If the electrical isnt giving everything it should your bike wont either. Just my thoughts but it does sond a lot like what I had going on.

By the way Wildcard fixed all my electrical issues and did the 4 mil and now my bike SCREAMS.

Something is definetily not right in that motor. I´m also thinking that you are rich and that´s why your motor won´t rev up top. ...it´s hard to say after that one video but anyway.

I´m not sure but it also sounds like your clutch is slipping too. I have a bad slipping clutch in my RZ350 and there is nothing else I hate as much as a spilling clutch.

Like Andy told you, try those 300 again and see how it goes.

-Pasi S.

considering how grooved my basket is I'm going to have to think its the clutch....... I'm gonna order a clutch and basket first and put it in.....

Once I do that I'll work on my jetting some more......

If none of that does it I'll have to start checking ignition....

whatever it is, after thinking about it, my bike is slower than before I rebuilt it. Back then it was missing 20lbs of compression on one side and running 21cc domes, FMF Fattys and K&N........ back before I rebuilt it I barely lost to a Raptor 700 GYTR and I was a much more terrible driver

I'm also building a secret weapon to improve my launches

100_6214.jpg

P3120230.jpg

Photo0036.jpg