How can i make banshee rear end sit higher?

banshee_kills

Okay so i have a stock rear shock and it sits low,

i want the back end to sit higher, have higher clearance,

i want it to go up like 2-3 inches higher,

also i weigh almost 200 pounds and i'm 6'0, so would a heavy duty spring help?

what type of shock would be good? nothing aftermarket, something like a raptor 700 or yfz450 shock?

Sounds like that shock is blown and needs to be rebuilt.

Yeah i know,

thats why i said if a raptor or a yfz450 shock would be better since they are bigger,

but the problem is, will it fit?

just send yours to So. Cal suspension and have it rebuilt. The stock rear shock is actually a nice shock.. just needs a lil message.

would a heavy duty spring help it stay up when i get on it? since i'm like 200 pounds

Everything above it true. Neither a Raptor shock, nor a YFZ450 shock will work on a banshee. Two different reasons. Newer Raptor shocks (as stated by ZillaFreak) have an offset reservoir, which will not clear the chain at full compression. The YFZ450 shocks use a "fork" type lower mount, and will not work at all for a Banshee, it won't even bolt up.

Also, a stiffer spring will not raise your back end at all. All it will do is provide a stiffer ride.

No one has touched on this yet, so I will:

Raising the back of the bike is going to do NOTHING good for your quality of ride. Raising the center of gravity on an already top/front heavy bike, is going to shift a significant amount of weight to the front tires. You are going to notice all kinds of terrible bump steer, and the bike is going to have a mind of it's own, as far as steering stability goes. I'd recommend getting your rear shock set up specifically for you, your bike, and your riding type.

At 200lbs, on a stock swing arm, you could use a heavier spring. Anything more than stock, and you DEFINITELY need a heavier spring.

• 2 weeks later...

You could adjust your preload some and it will stay up more when you sit on it. Like stated above, your axle will be the same height off the ground no matter how high the back of the quad is.

Thats what I came to say. Adjust your preload(and get it rebuilt). Adjust your front shocks preload too so the belly of the quad stays parallel to the ground, the front of the quad should actually be a up to a 1/4 inch higher than the rear. Measure ride height below or just in front of the footpegs and 19 or 20 inches in front of the footpegs. Measure from the bottom of the frame rail to the ground. Try to keep your front end up higher than the rear end. Adjust the rear shock preload by tightening the big adjuster ring at the top of the shock. Adjust the front shocks preload by spinning the shock body up to a higher notch found on the lower 1-4 of the shock, just below the spring. Measure your ride height with you, in all your riding gear, standing on the footpegs, have a buddy make the measurements. Good luck.