port or 4 mill?

So im tring to decide if i shoulg get a stroker or send one of my extra sets of jugs in to get ported. The jugs I have on my bike now I ported myself they make decent power but im no pro.

Right now i can do one or the other. I ride mostly woods and some track so I want low and mid power with a decent powerband and im already around 150 psi.

I have no first hand experiance with strokers.

Can I get some oppinions please, Thanks guys

well.....to get your 4mil to perform at its best your gonna have to have the jugs ported for a 4mil anyways. so....if you can only afford either a port job or a 4mil then i would suggest just getting the port job. if you still have the old pistons from that set of jugs (if they're still good) then you could jsut get a port and slap the old top end back together without needing a bore. (however i would not suggest this really cheap route)

if your gonna go for a 4mil it will cost you more......crank, new pistons, bore for new pistons, port job, new domes for the different pistons....

to do a stroker its a lot more than just get the crank and throw it together. To have a decent stroker set up here's a list of what youll need.... stroker crank, stroker pistons, aftermarket pipes, bigger carbs, cool head w/ stroker domes or stock head cut for the stroker, cylinders ported for the stroker and i would suggest little upgrades such as billet water pump impeller, pancake bearing, etc.

to do a stroker its a lot more than just get the crank and throw it together. To have a decent stroker set up here's a list of what youll need.... stroker crank, stroker pistons, aftermarket pipes, bigger carbs, cool head w/ stroker domes or stock head cut for the stroker, cylinders ported for the stroker and i would suggest little upgrades such as billet water pump impeller, pancake bearing, etc.

And for me that is everything you should have with a ported stock stroke as well.

It will cost you less money to save up and build the stroker the first time than port your extra cylinders now and have to start over when you build the 4mill. Your already tossing around the Idea of building a 4mill so it is going to happen. Save up the extra cash now and build the engine once instead of twice.

A ported stock stroke engine will run circles around a stock ported 4mill.

Send your extra cylinders out for a 4mill port job and a fresh bore with 795 series pistons. That way they will be ready to go when you buy / get a 4mill long rod crank.

Edited by jbooker82

IF you need a crank, might as well go 4mm and port your cyls. IF your crank is good then just port for stock stroke and it will make great power on a budget.

I dont have my profile updated but i have it all but the cylinders ported for a 4 mill and of course the pistons and crank

IF you need a crank, might as well go 4mm and port your cyls. IF your crank is good then just port for stock stroke and it will make great power on a budget.

My cylinders that on on the bike are ported for a stock stroke crank is good and welded just looking for a little more

Depends on who did the porting. We have been able to pick up a ton more HP on "others" porting. Sometimes we can turn stock stroke porting into 4mm , sometimes we cant. Depends on durations.

Kinda figured it would be like porting with stock pipes

All depends on what you want. My son's is an unported 4mil with head spacer and FMF gold pipes. Tons of torque, lifts up stabbing throttle in 4th on pavement at slow roll. There is only one fastest Banshee and this isn't it. But it puts a smile on this old face. :jesterlaugh: Plus my 21 yr old son loves it too. I'm sure as time goes on he'll want more, it's his and his dime. :cheers:

Edited by Larry's Shee

Another option we have had success with is to get the 4 mill crank now and a spacer plate. Run the Vito's Super Stock pistons because they simulate a port timing change and really get the motor running strong. (No it's not the same as a port job, but it's only $200 bucks!)

We saw 47HP with factory reeds, head and carbs and just Pro Circuit pipes with that combo.

Then later you can deside if you want to port your jugs or just get a Serval. You'll have the 4 mill crank, so a 421 Serval can be bought as a kit and you'll have 80+ HP and crazy torque. I'm sure budget will dictate the choices, but if you get the crank now....you have alot of options for the future.