bad coil

Ok so I put my quad in the shop last Tuesday and the guy hasn't started on it yet so I'm going to try and fix it myself. It has been running funny since I got it, the guy I got it from said it had sat and the carbs most likely just needed clean and adjusted so I cleaned them and it still ran like shit on the bottom end ran fine wot then I got some t5s k&n air filter boysen power reeds and a jet kit and it still runs funny. When I ride it sounded like it was only hitting on one cylinder untill I got into the power band I changed spark plugs a few times but the last time I held them close to the head to make sure they were getting spark the one on the right looked good. One on left didn't even spark at all I'm thinking it is just a plug cap or wire since the left one worked everytime I kicked it over got a new coil box and wires and ngk caps on the way I wanted to know if you guys think that sounds like that's the issue or could the startor be going bad. The only reason I kind of rulled that out is because the left side worked everytime and thought if it was the stator neither side would fire. Any input appreciated thanks

normally coil problems will give you upper rpm problems,coil should have 3.0 - 7.2 kohms between wires with no caps,stock coil units dont normally wear down just the caps.Did your jet kit come with needles.You should be at 290 main ,27.5 pilot, needle 4th clip on stock needle if there is no porting and no air box lid my guess is you have a stock pilot in there (25) and you need to richen the needle, remember one adjustment at a time keeps your head straight.I cant styress enouph the importance of syncing carbs with a vacuum tool($25 from FAST) and setting float bowl height 21mm.If your carbs are not synced up rite and your floats are out it will not run rite on bottom

My jet kit didn't come with a new pilot jet and one of my floats are sticking or I'm assuming that it is cause the left carb will pour gas out if my quad is off and gas is on but I am going to see if the new caps fixes the idle problem and go from there. I have 270 mains in and it is on the second clip down with the stock pilot at 1.5 out but I have a question when they say the pilot should be 1.5 out is that one full revolution and half or is 1 really a half a turn

My jet kit didn't come with a new pilot jet and one of my floats are sticking or I'm assuming that it is cause the left carb will pour gas out if my quad is off and gas is on but I am going to see if the new caps fixes the idle problem and go from there. I have 270 mains in and it is on the second clip down with the stock pilot at 1.5 out but I have a question when they say the pilot should be 1.5 out is that one full revolution and half or is 1 really a half a turn

1.5 turns means 1 full turn and then another 1/2 turn(360 degrees +180 degrees). Also, the fuel pouring out of your carb could be caused by the o-ring on the outside of the seat being bad and letting fuel into the carb around the outside of the seat instead of through the seat and needle. If you take the retainer off the seat and turn the carb over and the seat falls out, the o-ring is bad. The seat should stick in the carb and have to be pulled out.

Edited by bansheesandrider