Starting to get really frustrated...

Alright guys, long story so bear with me....I had a 400ex that I bought cheap because it was blown up, I had it rebuilt, and I had a guy that owned this banshee call me wanting to trade his banshee for my 400ex. He said that his banshee had a bad stator, but he knew that it was the stator. So I went and looked at the banshee, and ended up taking his word on the bad stator. I brought it home, and tested the stator, it was in fact bad. I bought a new stator, put it on, and went for a ride. I didn't make it very far down the road, and it started smoking really bad on the left hand side....(head gasket). I bought a head gasket, put it on, and did a compression test on it...It needed new pistons. So i bought gaskets, pistons and rings, wrist pins, whole nine yards. I also bought k&n pods, adjustable stator plate, and I believe thats it. I bumped my main up 1 size, got it all back together, and started having another problem. It would not rev very high at all. Fell on its face..have to hold the throttle about half way in to keep it running, and it only revved about 1500 rpms when you held the gas half way.

I noticed after playing around with the jetting a little, adding new plugs, new plug caps, and fresh gas, the left hand side started sucking transmission oil up...When I pulled the clutch cover off, my water pump was laying at the bottom of the cover. I bought the parts to fix the water pump, and bought new crank seals. I split the cases about a week or so ago, everything went very smoothly. I got it all back together, and the damn thing still wont rev up. I did a leak down on it, and it held pressure fine for 5 minutes, and then I let the pressure out...Choke tube is in place...carbs are clean, I just bought new boyeseen reeds for it as well. This banshee sat for quite a while..so I went and got FRESH avgas just wallago, mixed it 40:1 with amsoil, and it is STILL having the same problem! ugh!

I have a cut and milled head, 400ft above sea level, fresh .020 weisco pro lite pistons, squish is .045 on the right side and left side is .049, I have 180 PSI in both cylinders, it has passed a leak down test. New stator, new plug caps, new plugs, new crank seals, and oil seals, fresh tranny fluid, fresh gas mixed 40:1 with amsoil, new k&n pods, new boyeseen power reeds, crank bearings are tight.

I bought a trinity 2 into 1 carb, but the guy forgot to put the rubber boot in the box, so I am waiting for that to get here...hopefully it has to do with the carbs, and something I am overlooking in them.

Did it rev the very first time you rode it before you replaced the pistons?

Sounds like maybe a timing issue. You sure there is a timing key in there? My 10 mill cheetah had the same problem come to find out the flywheel key was gone.

Also your carbs could be out of sync badly?

yes it did rev fine...i got the top end rebuilt a while back..then ended up tearing it back down and splitting the cases....the key is on there and the stator is good, its getting an excellent blue spark...timing mark is set at +4 i even tried going back to stock mark

The carbs i synced them with the marks in the glass on the carbs..both slides come up at the same time and sit at the same level. I do not have a vacuum tool, but I did them through the eye sights.

Edited by MatHolland

no, i split the case after the top end rebuild. It might be a timing problem, I have no clue, but I can tell you that the key is in there, I never took it out, and I have had the flywheel of a couple of times, and it is in tact where its supposed to be because I have to line it up everytime to get the flywheel back on. TBH, I am not even sure how to get the key off.

sometimes it will rev, but not very often..would it help if I took a video and posted it?

Also, I noticed eariler, that the smoke comming out on the right hand side was just starting to get warm, and the left hand side was still cold smoke...and i pull the plugs, and they still look practically brand new..

Edited by MatHolland

If you have compression, fuel and spark, it has to run.

I'm sure you didn't put the piston on backwards

Maybe try spraying starter fluid in one carb then the other and see what happens

But I still believe it's a spark/ timing issue. Not sure if swapping out the wires on the coil would cause an issue...

Edited by SlowMoe

stock carbs, crossover tube installed...I just pulled my flywheel off, key is in tact..also..i have had to spray mixed gas with a spray bottle to get it started before I got new reeds....

Edited by MatHolland

stock carbs, crossover tube installed...I just pulled my flywheel off, key is in tact..also..i have had to spray mixed gas with a spray bottle to get it started before I got new reeds....

Puzzling.

If it was me I would start it up and try spraying starting fluid in one carb then the other and see what effect that has.

If it effects one cylinder and not the other that could indicate a problem with one cylinder.

Do both pipes get hot when you run it?

no, i split the case after the top end rebuild. It might be a timing problem, I have no clue, but I can tell you that the key is in there, I never took it out, and I have had the flywheel of a couple of times, and it is in tact where its supposed to be because I have to line it up everytime to get the flywheel back on. TBH, I am not even sure how to get the key off.

sometimes it will rev, but not very often..would it help if I took a video and posted it?

Also, I noticed eariler, that the smoke comming out on the right hand side was just starting to get warm, and the left hand side was still cold smoke...and i pull the plugs, and they still look practically brand new..

hey,sometimes its the obvious.float bowls on right carbs and all carb parts in there and intact.the brasss washer around main jet and slides in right carbs.im sure since u synchronized them with windows.tors brain box still connected???also,make sure pick up gap is properly adjusted!!!!!!

Thanks for all the posts. Well the guy that said something about my pistons being installed right. Well they weren't. They were backwards. I bet this is what is causing my problems. I'll see tomorrow. I bet that's why no gas was getting to my plugs. I got to get new gaskets tomorrow and I'll test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.