How to tighten axle nuts

vizmark

I need to tighten up the axle nuts after installing a new stock rear bearing carrier. Problem is I don't have the proper tools, so I will be using pipe wrenches.

How are you guys (without the special tools) estimating the torque and tightening them down. The first nut is to be torqued at 40#'s.

How freely should the axle rotate at 40#'s. After the first nut is set I am assuming I will just tighten the crap out of the second nut after applying

some thread locker to both nuts.

Thanks for your help.

you have to tightent the inside nut to the carrier just enough to take the slack out (around 40 ft lbs). Then tighten the outside nut to the inside nut (around 100-140 ft lbs). You then mark the inside nut and back the inside nut off and tighten it agains the outside nut so it moves at least 3mm.

I can't remeber the exact specs. If you just tighten the nuts agains the carrier really tight, you will ruin the axle bearings.

you have to tightent the inside nut to the carrier just enough to take the slack out (around 40 ft lbs). Then tighten the outside nut to the inside nut (around 100-140 ft lbs). You then mark the inside nut and back the inside nut off and tighten it agains the outside nut so it moves at least 3mm.

I can't remeber the exact specs. If you just tighten the nuts agains the carrier really tight, you will ruin the axle bearings.

So you want 3mm play side to side? I need to check mine.

• 2 months later...

You can't just tighten them up, they will come loose again. You need to follow the manual spec to do it.

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread but I can attest to this. I was just pushing mine around in the garage yesterday and found that mine had backed off until they were finger tight, even had Loctite on them. There must be a method to the madness indeed.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

Ha that’s funny, I'm doing this tomorrow. I just got done replacing the carrier bearings, spacer, and seals today. I just need to torque everything down. But I have all the right tools for the job. Go buy the wrenches and a torque wrench if ya can and save yourself the headache, they weren’t that expensive. :shrugani:

Lol I actually just got done paying for the wrench set right before I posted that. I already have the torque wrench so hopefully I can get this thing torqued down correctly this time. Talk about having the rear end step out on you unexpectedly. The chain was probably the only thing holding tension on it and keeping it from going back through the carrier... :whoa:

Ya I dealt with that 5 years ago when I tore mine down. It had been treated like the one it the right-side pic in my signature :bolt: but the difference between me owning it and the previous owner(s) is that I washed it back down and cleaned it spotless after I got done with that ride. I guarantee you it had 8 year old mud caked up in places that mud shouldn't even get to lol.

Edited by bigblockbanshee