new banshee owner gets the shaft

rjt

Ok, lets start with what i know. Just bought a 2000 banshee, told it was rebuilt from the crank up. Has pro circuit pipes with toomey silencers. No air box, single K&N filter with skin. Stock carbs, Tors removed, has new caps and cable (no idle kit ) I have one ordered , took the carbs off to clean has new parts, was pretty dirty though. Has 240 mains and 25 pilots, did not check the needle. Did compression test have 148 both sides. did the soapy water while running did not see anything. What is happening is it wont idle unless i pull the choke out, then if i give it throttle it bogs down like no fuel, if i rev the throttle fast i can get it through the bog then it revs to red line and i have to put it in gear and kill it ?? I actually have ridden it a little when i test rode it and once you get it past the bogging it goes like hell, but as soon as you get it back to idle and try to go again it dies like its running out of fuel? Before i bought it took it to a mechanic he said its running lean and thought if i replaced the old fuel and clean up the carbs it would be fine. Not so much, i got it to idle a little better, but a soon as its to operating temperature and its sitting and you rev it up it redlines and you have to kill it in gear. Did the soapy water when it was warm and running, assuming i am looking for bubbles, i did not see anything? any help any info would be greatly appreciated. If i now what the problem is i can surely fix it, but right now i am not sure what is causing my problem. Thanks.

I know when I had Pro Circuits with the stock carbs I used 300 mains and 30 pilots, some people use the 27.5 pilots. I even still had the stock airbox, but i had the pro-flow kit with a k&n. My elevation is about 1800 ft, so you might need to go bigger on the mains depending on where your at.

Gee, no one caught your runaway symptoms. Caused by lean/overheating codition. Either you're way lean on jetting (most likely) or you have an air leak, or both. Soapy water only works when doing a leak down test http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110585 . Long read but you might find a simular set-up http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99361.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

I know when I had Pro Circuits with the stock carbs I used 300 mains and 30 pilots, some people use the 27.5 pilots. I even still had the stock airbox, but i had the pro-flow kit with a k&n. My elevation is about 1800 ft, so you might need to go bigger on the mains depending on where your at.

My elevation is about 300 ft.

your to lean i had almost the same setup and i was running 280 mains i would try that and check the crossover tube and air fuel screw to about 1 1/2 turns let us know if that helps

Wiil do thanks!

Gee, no one caught your runaway symptoms. Caused by lean/overheating codition. Either you're way lean on jetting (most likely) or you have an air leak, or both. Soapy water only works when doing a leak down test http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110585 . Long read but you might find a simular set-up http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99361.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Yeah the runaway is my major concern, I assumed the jetting was lean just by the info i found on this site. Was not sure if the lean jetting would cause the runaway, but by the info i am getting back it seems i am way too lean. So just to be sure of what i have will do the leak down test and pick up some jets and get this thing dialed in. Thanks!

Basically is the lean codition heats the plug to where it's hot enough to ignite the fuel without a spark, like a glow plug in a rc car. Might as well clean carbs good and check fuel petcock and screen, clean tank. Pay close attention to carb boots when testing, where crossover/ boost bottle nipples are.

banghead:cheers:

Edited by Larry's Shee