yfz/shee hybrid R2 pipes mounted up tonite

Yea you talking about cheap that yfz in the back ground i bought with a blowed up crank and a new hot rod crank in the box the guy bought and never did anything with.Plus another frame set of wheels and paddles for a $1000 bucks. I took it apart and went threw motor and got about $1300 in it now.You see alot of them just rollers for $500 or a little under around here if you look.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is my opinion on engine swaps in atv's for a long time there just wasnt really a better motor / chassis combo that was resaonably priced to do one in. i agree most swaps are absolutely retarded street bike conversions that end up slower than what was in it previously.

BUT a LOT of swaps are dependent ont he chassis and motor matching. a hayabusa or other 1000cc+ street bike motor actually goes excellent in a DS650 chassis if you have ever seen one done right they work. and work killer!. also in the past trikes were getting upgraded to 500cc motor ( kx500, cr500 tecate and 250r ) thsoe actually worked well. where the atv conversions wernt as much. ( but some did work great but took full chassis) there were also a few trikes with street bike motors!!! ( and some of them worked excellent)

NOW with the yfz chassis there is a chassis that "fits" a banshee motor amazingly well also fits other single cyl engines like yz250's and maybe a ktm 250?? thats what i feel was the biggest hold back on banshee motors, for the cost there was just not a real frame it fit well into and looked right. and like ANY engine swap some are shitty and half assed and others are done very well and look excellent. in my opinon if you remove the OEM front motor mounts completely off the frame and fab a complete new mount up there and drop the motor DOWN in the chassis you will end up with a motor that fits excellent and everything clears like it was built for it... i'm not sure ont he pipes\ radiator yet.. with the cost becoming more and more reasonable on the yfz's i bet there will be more and more of this being done. i mean really!! if you cannot aford an outlaw chassis why not one of these thats more modern !! they are getting so cheap i was even able to buy a "test chassis" to practice on before i do the real one!!

keep it up!!

well said happy easter

i have a dummy motor i put together with shit parts i had lying around its easier to move it here and there and test fit in the chassis i liked droping the motor down because of the swingarm, front sproket piviot point. also the clearance on top of the engine seemed better. i will try a few things on the "test" chassis i have and see what works well. i also felt droping the motor down might add more clearance in the pipes also.

the dummy motor is a set of broken cases a bad trans shaft with a sproket welded on and internally tightened for fitment, dummy shift shaft with shifter and a set of cyls and head with plugs... its not really heavy and i can see where everything rub a dub dubs at

• 2 weeks later...

Its a little dirty but here it is done. i rode it alot this weekend rides great.I need some better plastic and wheels and a seat.But it works for now.

dude congrats !!!!!! so is the new chassie worth it to you? i noticed way better braking control ( only zipped around the block )

tell us what you think of the chassie suspenision.

dude congrats !!!!!! so is the new chassie worth it to you? i noticed way better braking control ( only zipped around the block )

tell us what you think of the chassie suspenision.

also do your kicker hit the foot peg bolt? it looks like you have the stocker 38 tooth still? going to change it?

The brakes are better i think and i think this chassis hooks up better when i was at our horseshoe drags this weekend. I put a 40 tooth rear and a 14 front im going to change to a 15 front before weekend. My kicker doesnt hit the bolt but does hit the rear brake lever you can see the shiney spot where it hits.There is a thick wire deal weled on the lever you have to cut off to. Im real happy with it. Its a blast to ride.

The brakes are better i think and i think this chassis hooks up better when i was at our horseshoe drags this weekend. I put a 40 tooth rear and a 14 front im going to change to a 15 front before weekend. My kicker doesnt hit the bolt but does hit the rear brake lever you can see the shiney spot where it hits.There is a thick wire deal weled on the lever you have to cut off to. Im real happy with it. Its a blast to ride.

pro nerf bars (ac) will let me kick it down alittle lower but no problems ( i cut off that wire too) keep us up dated on your performance , did you notice any chang in your top end ( because your pipes are changed)

did you end up cutting your R2's ?

My topend didnt change at all i just cut them off and straighten them up and turned them to get to fit.They are way easier to put on the yfz then any other pipe i looked at. Also they are the the best running pipe i have tried. I have nothing but good things to say about the swap. I will never go back.

• 5 months later...

Well season is here for so-cal first real trip this week, going to glamis. I'll post up

With my results and more pics.

Glamis was great little hot but great.

Bike wasn't jetted well but the main was good. The stock air filter made me jet down.

The chain killed the upper chain roller. (just removed it)

The paddles rubbed the propeg nerf bars. (going to switch to haulers )

Also my stock 450 shocks with adaptors did ok on the long travel leagers arms.

So the newer yfz450r shocks should do the trick.

Also a desert tank will be needed and a hi flow air fliter too

The motor sits more forward on this frame. Im really happy with the conversion.

When it goes the shop ( Yakkey racing ) it gets alot of questions.

Never over heated and I'll know more after the correct shocks get on also the bigger tank and a good long dune ride I'll post more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...