yfz/shee hybrid R2 pipes mounted up tonite

The yfshee as i call will get a paint job but she has to go threw a few rides before i go to crazy on looks.Make sure chain stays on and everything works like it suppose to.Then im tearing it back down trim all the yfz mounts and clean up a few welds and go threw my motor while im at it.Thanks guys i want this thing to work like factory so it might have a few bugs to work out on the way.

Oh I understand waiting till the build is finished, I was just giving you a hard time on the rough look. beer.gif

Mine isn't pretty right now either, don't wanna put powder on something that needs reworked.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long travel is tight wiring is done (not tested), plastics fit, chain done, plugs and caps done

tonight flush brakes, install dyno kit from alba, clean air filter , and change oil,

waiting on rear grab bar and rear skid plate

if test ride goes well, DC conversion.

pic's up tommarow. talked to nn2 a.k.a yfzrd and his project hybrid stalled, he want more upgrades and it got on to the back burner.

he said his rode great with a +5 swing arm "great hole shots"

Did you shorten your wiring harness and mount the cdi box up front like a yfz? Where did and how did you mount your coil? Just asking seeing different ideas.

Oh I understand waiting till the build is finished, I was just giving you a hard time on the rough look. beer.gif

Mine isn't pretty right now either, don't wanna put powder on something that needs reworked.

No big deal you just dont know how many people have give me a hard time about this swap. I drag raced cars for years then the track shut down so i started hoseshoe dragging atvs. We swapped motors in cars and no one thinks or says anything about it.But you do it to a quad and it becomes impossible and everyone talks it down.

No big deal you just dont know how many people have give me a hard time about this swap. I drag raced cars for years then the track shut down so i started hoseshoe dragging atvs. We swapped motors in cars and no one thinks or says anything about it.But you do it to a quad and it becomes impossible and everyone talks it down.

I do understand how that is.

I think that stems from the majority of ATV engine swaps being so horribly done, giving them an overall bad rep. There are more prominent factors in the geometry also; depending on the swap, that would not, in most cases, affect a car as much or put you at as much risk as a failure on an ATV. Since all the half assing can be hidden by the cars body panels that also hides a lot of points of criticism.

Not applying to your swap by any means but a lot of swaps are just incredibly impractical which also draws conflicting views. Most commonly a streetbike swap into a stock banshee. No attention to weight distribution, aftermarket suspension, or the fact that adding so much weight and cutting/welding on a frame is going to limit the extent to which you can now push the bike in rough terrain.

You, however, have done the opposite of this in putting a lighter engine in a frame that is already well suspended and balanced without weakening or altering the frame. headbang.gif My only beef with the swap is I don't like how the YFZ feels all that much. I may try and put one of my extra shee motors in one of my 250R's though and see how I like that swap. ph34r.gif

I do agree on how they feel. i have a plus 2 stem and the bars still feel way to low and the seats are terrible. I put a lowering kit on the back and left the front up feels alot better now.I have thought about buying a stock stem and cutting it apart and making one like a plus 5 or something to get the bars up like a shee.

Yeah I'm thinking that's what it would take. I'm sure there's some sort of "tall" seat available also to offer some more padding.

I think I still have a +1 or stock length LSR yfz anti vibe stem in the shop. It would be an excellent candidate for lengthening. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested. I'll let it go cheap!

Did you shorten your wiring harness and mount the cdi box up front like a yfz? Where did and how did you mount your coil? Just asking seeing different ideas.

yes i cleaned up the harness(super easy to do), I put the CDI on a aluminum tab mounted to the stock location.

also the coil is mounted to the rail that holds the gas tank, I bought from home depot all tread connector bolts ( basicaly a nut that is threaded from both ends )

make sure you mount the coil low so it clears the gas tank.

message me if you want pics.

test drive went good today, going to get the plastics to fiit better on the right side and also spend more time getting the pipes to look better, stingers look wall eyed.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=5552

two new pics.

My motor is back together now just have to get the chassis put back together and motor back in. I will take some oics tonite while im working on it of my lower strut mounts and of my paint job on my frame. I might have it finished by the end of weekend.

My motor is back together now just have to get the chassis put back together and motor back in. I will take some oics tonite while im working on it of my lower strut mounts and of my paint job on my frame. I might have it finished by the end of weekend.

good progress rubeat, I'm working on my dc conversion right now, got the battery mounted and stator floated, waiting on timing plate and skid plate.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_posts&mid=40305&search_filter_app[gallery]=1

latest pics

I got alot done this evening what do you guys think? I have a -2 custom swingarm but i have to get a roundhouse carrier before i can put it in so have to run the the stock swingarm and axle for a while really cant make it look real good. You guys got any good ideas to make it look a lit

tle better for a while. Heres the pics so far.

yfsheeassembly005.jpg

yfsheeassembly001.jpg

yfsheeassembly002.jpg

yfsheeassembly007.jpg

yfsheeassembly010.jpg

yfsheeassembly012.jpg

here is my opinion on engine swaps in atv's for a long time there just wasnt really a better motor / chassis combo that was resaonably priced to do one in. i agree most swaps are absolutely retarded street bike conversions that end up slower than what was in it previously.

BUT a LOT of swaps are dependent ont he chassis and motor matching. a hayabusa or other 1000cc+ street bike motor actually goes excellent in a DS650 chassis if you have ever seen one done right they work. and work killer!. also in the past trikes were getting upgraded to 500cc motor ( kx500, cr500 tecate and 250r ) thsoe actually worked well. where the atv conversions wernt as much. ( but some did work great but took full chassis) there were also a few trikes with street bike motors!!! ( and some of them worked excellent)

NOW with the yfz chassis there is a chassis that "fits" a banshee motor amazingly well also fits other single cyl engines like yz250's and maybe a ktm 250?? thats what i feel was the biggest hold back on banshee motors, for the cost there was just not a real frame it fit well into and looked right. and like ANY engine swap some are shitty and half assed and others are done very well and look excellent. in my opinon if you remove the OEM front motor mounts completely off the frame and fab a complete new mount up there and drop the motor DOWN in the chassis you will end up with a motor that fits excellent and everything clears like it was built for it... i'm not sure ont he pipes\ radiator yet.. with the cost becoming more and more reasonable on the yfz's i bet there will be more and more of this being done. i mean really!! if you cannot aford an outlaw chassis why not one of these thats more modern !! they are getting so cheap i was even able to buy a "test chassis" to practice on before i do the real one!!

keep it up!!

Plugs clear tank fine must be the pic.Cam i didnt even think about building new mounts how much lower do you think you could get the motor ? I thought it was about right in the frame compared to the measurements i took off the banshee frame.Do you think it will affect how it handles? If it does affect it i will build some this next winter and change it again.The -2 swingarm is for TT racing actual i was going to try it for our horseshoe racing.It might be a wheelie machine.