carbs

moparken426

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my carbs from stock to something better because i have no bottom end power at all plenty of mid and top end, also it does not idle the greatest once it warm works fine. I've been looking at some flat side carbs either the keihin 28mm pwk's, and i found another set which are flatside oko 28mm pwk ive read a little about them and some people say they work just as good as the Keihin and are a little cheaper, but im not sure what to get. would like some ideas on what to get or what would be the better set of carbs to get, my set up now, .050 wiseco pistons, wiseco pro-lite racing crank, i have an open air box and dmc 916 pipes, everything else is stock.

any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

sounds like you need to go though and clean them really well. blow ALL the passages out with compressed air. i fought this forever on my dirtbike. it wouldnt idle worth a damn and off idle response sucked. after cleaning it again and verifying all the passages were clear it runs great.

also its a 2 stroke, do be afraid to keep the revs up.

sounds like you need to go though and clean them really well. blow ALL the passages out with compressed air. i fought this forever on my dirtbike. it wouldnt idle worth a damn and off idle response sucked. after cleaning it again and verifying all the passages were clear it runs great.

also its a 2 stroke, do be afraid to keep the revs up.

ok ill probably do that tomorrow sometime and get back to yeah on if it helps, thanks

Sounds like your pilot and or A/F screws could be off. If it runs good from half throttle to wide open and sucks from idle to half then its definitely a pilot/AF screw issue. Are they both in sync? Very important. I agree with the previous post that you will not gain any bottom end with bigger carbs. I have a very good article on jetting that I could scan and pm you or send in an email if you think that would help you. I've jetted many machines but many times i will sit down and read it to refresh my memory before I start. Let me know.

Sounds like your pilot and or A/F screws could be off. If it runs good from half throttle to wide open and sucks from idle to half then its definitely a pilot/AF screw issue. Are they both in sync? Very important. I agree with the previous post that you will not gain any bottom end with bigger carbs. I have a very good article on jetting that I could scan and pm you or send in an email if you think that would help you. I've jetted many machines but many times i will sit down and read it to refresh my memory before I start. Let me know.

That would be very help full, i sent a pm and thats for the info

every 2stroke motor is a little different. its not like a 4stroke that you can just look at a chart and be close and that's pretty good. its more of a test and tune then more test and tune.....to dial in a 2stroke....

by far the best thing to do is to do a plug chop on it.

whats a plug chop lol, kinda new to lots of this stuff.

whats a plug chop lol, kinda new to lots of this stuff.

okay....since your new i wont bash you about using the search button haha.

a plug chop is to find out if your running too lean or running too rich. If you run too lean you can and will melt your pistons and cause catostrophic failure in your motor. if you run too rich you will foul out your plugs and you will be lacking total performance.

To do a plug chop you want to warm your motor up on the plugs you currently have in the bike. Then shut the bike off and put in BRAND NEW plugs. Fire it up and ride it wide open throttle all the way thru 6th gear....when you hit top speed in 6th...pull the clutch in and shut the motor off and coast to a stop. remove new plugs and put in the old plugs again. then go home and cut the threads off of the new plugs.......at the BASE of the white porcelan insolator you want to see a light brown ring about 2mm tall (should be like a milk chocllate color or the color of a light cardboard box). if its lighter then you are running lean.....if its darker then you are running rich.

okay....since your new i wont bash you about using the search button haha.

a plug chop is to find out if your running too lean or running too rich. If you run too lean you can and will melt your pistons and cause catostrophic failure in your motor. if you run too rich you will foul out your plugs and you will be lacking total performance.

To do a plug chop you want to warm your motor up on the plugs you currently have in the bike. Then shut the bike off and put in BRAND NEW plugs. Fire it up and ride it wide open throttle all the way thru 6th gear....when you hit top speed in 6th...pull the clutch in and shut the motor off and coast to a stop. remove new plugs and put in the old plugs again. then go home and cut the threads off of the new plugs.......at the BASE of the white porcelan insolator you want to see a light brown ring about 2mm tall (should be like a milk chocllate color or the color of a light cardboard box). if its lighter then you are running lean.....if its darker then you are running rich.

ok ill have to do that, thanks for the info