what to do for 65hp?

400sbc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A srock banshee with lots and lots of chrome makes at least 65hp. Each peice of chrome is good for 5 to 7 hp.

Edited by motor builder

Thack, I think you might be over-estimating your power a bit. With your bolt-ons, I will guess you are in the 45 to 49hp area.

To get to 65hp, porting is a must. With a 54mm stroke, the porting will have to me slightly more aggressive to make that number. With a 58mm crankshaft your powerband will be broad and smooth. Also, the added stroke will enhance the bikes performance below the "pipe".

Your Probably right:notworthy:.... Theres things that are not on that list, its a couple of months old and I need to get it updated and get pictures on here. That being said I'm sure your right, I'm just guesstimating. I came up with that number comparing my Banshee to a guy I raced in TN that had his dynoed 82hp. He had a Trinity Motor, it was one of the smaller cc Cheetah's, and I was comparing the upgraded parts he had vs the ones I had.

I beat him about 50ft then he came around me pretty hard. I'm not one to exaggerate, you guys know a lot more than I do. Other than that Banshee I've beat every other quad that I've race by a pretty considerable amount. I built my Banshee to Race in the Kentucky Off Road Hare Scrambles, and even though I didn't buy the biggest baddest parts everything is matched and works good together, and no small details were overlooked. Over all my goal is to have a Banshee that looks Bad as, rides great, thats fast, but I wanted reliability over everything else.

Does porting make that big of a difference? What kind of port work would you guys recommend, and who would you guys have do it? I talked to Trinity's about it when I bought my Stage IV Cool Head and they wanted almost $500 for polishing the jugs and doing a port and polish. If I decide to have it professionally ported I'm going to have them Re-Bore the jugs and sleeve the cylinders, I wish I had had that done in the first place, but Lees's Suzuki and Yamaha in Harrodsburg Kentucky wouldn't do those things, So I ordered all new Nice Forged internals off the internet, and had Robert (Banshee Racing building and riding veteran) do all the machine work and set up. They claim he's the best in my area and set up.

Is port work something I can do myself or have a tool and die shop do? I'm meticulous when it comes to my Banshee or my Z06 Corvette, Camaro, Hummer, and Duramax or any other motorized machine. So if I had a set of detailed directions and the tools I wouldn't be afraid to try it with a little supervision from someone who knew what they were doing. My dad is the Purchasing Manager at Link-Belt Construction Equipment so he has a lot of ties with machine shops as well as tool and die shops. Those guys have helped me out tremendously through out this build so far. Give me your opinions on this.

Horse power isn't everything, I have out ran a lot of bike with a lot more horse power than I have simply because my suspension out performed theres. When I first bought my Banshee I was getting out run by a 400EX with a few modds in a rough hay field latter on that day we got out on the pavement and it wasn't even a close race, I beat him by 10 ATV lengths, I just couldn't hang onto the bike because it rode so rough. Any way you guys let me know what else you think I can do short of building a whole new motor and changing my complete set up to get the horse power I was previously estimated I had.

Thanks,

JCT

Thack, porting WILL make the difference. Spend some time searching, you will find just about any site sponsor is capable of magic with your jugs. I choose to use Jeff from Farmandsandtoys.com (FAST) for all of my banshee needs. I've always admired James Smart (Passion Racing) and his Passion 12 port engines. Also, there are some cheap mods you can do to the transmission to help it shift easier. Anyway, once you have searched until your clicking finger bleeds and your eyes are burning and dry, post up a new topic with any additional questions that have not been answered (that way we keep this thread on track)

Thack, I think you might be over-estimating your power a bit. With your bolt-ons, I will guess you are in the 45 to 49hp area.

To get to 65hp, porting is a must. With a 54mm stroke, the porting will have to me slightly more aggressive to make that number. With a 58mm crankshaft your powerband will be broad and smooth. Also, the added stroke will enhance the bikes performance below the "pipe".

In addition to the "bolt ons" I've added I also have had all the internals upgraded and replaced with high quality replacement parts (Forged Hot Rods Crank & Rods, Wiseco Ultra-Lite Forged Aluminum Pistons and Rings, and had it bored .020) I don't know where you get off saying I have only bolt on parts? The parts I listed above are the only components inside the engine. I didn't buy the biggest of everything, but it's all matched and tuned perfect I put my Banshee together like this because I built my Banshee for trail riding and Endurance racing. Over everything else I wanted my bike reliable, I've been around a buddy that built a racing quad a few years back and it was useless for everything except Drag Racing.

That being said I am interested in porting the engine at some point in time how many horse power do you expect I will gain by that?

Thack, porting WILL make the difference. Spend some time searching, you will find just about any site sponsor is capable of magic with your jugs. I choose to use Jeff from Farmandsandtoys.com (FAST) for all of my banshee needs. I've always admired James Smart (Passion Racing) and his Passion 12 port engines. Also, there are some cheap mods you can do to the transmission to help it shift easier. Anyway, once you have searched until your clicking finger bleeds and your eyes are burning and dry, post up a new topic with any additional questions that have not been answered (that way we keep this thread on track)

I just read over the response I just posted and it sounds offal, it sounds like I'm being a ass hole. I had to get up and do somethings several times while I was righting it and it came off like I'm smarting off to you and in no way am I doing that. After I read it I was going to delete it, but I couldn't figure out how. Thank you for giving me your advice and helping me out I appreciate it very much. I just wanted to make sure you read the part on my build sheet where I upgraded my internal parts. If I had it to do all over again I probably would have went with a 4mil Stroker set up, it wouldn't have cost me that much more.

In addition to the "bolt ons" I've added I also have had all the internals upgraded and replaced with high quality replacement parts (Forged Hot Rods Crank & Rods, Wiseco Ultra-Lite Forged Aluminum Pistons and Rings, and had it bored .020) I don't know where you get off saying I have only bolt on parts? The parts I listed above are the only components inside the engine. I didn't buy the biggest of everything, but it's all matched and tuned perfect I put my Banshee together like this because I built my Banshee for trail riding and Endurance racing. Over everything else I wanted my bike reliable, I've been around a buddy that built a racing quad a few years back and it was useless for everything except Drag Racing.

That being said I am interested in porting the engine at some point in time how many horse power do you expect I will gain by that?

From a power aspect, forged internals won't make much of a difference. BUT, having a high quality rotating assembly provides a good reliable foundation for future "gofast" parts. You should look into sending your jugs out to a site sponsor. Call around until you find one that you feel real good about. Talk to them about what you want out of your cylinders and your riding style. Then, send your jugs off to be ported! If your cylinders are in good shape, all you'll need is a hone and some rings. Once the rings have seated and the carbs have been jetted, bricks will be shat!

Option two, is to spend some coin on a CP industries Serval cub. You can keep your crank and pick up a 68X54 block, or sell your crank, purchase a +4mm stroker crank and a 68X58 serval. This will have a broad powerband that I feel is an ideal compromise for guys who ride their banshee in multiple situations (trails to racing).

so you raced a guy with "82 HP" and beat him... so now you have 70? no way jose. i think by "bolt ons" he meant "things that actually ADD power" the above mentioned internals really dont... they only make a great canvas for a motor that actually has 70 hp..... best choice with the stuff youve got listed: dune port... i like jeff at FAST racing... great guy to deal with. and youll be in the 70 hp range! its 350 for the porting... after that NOBODY will be able to keep up on their "fuel injected million cc thumper pos"

good luck!

Edited by thrill-billy85

so you raced a guy with "82 HP" and beat him... so now you have 70? no way jose. i think by "bolt ons" he meant "things that actually ADD power" the above mentioned internals really dont... they only make a great canvas for a motor that actually has 70 hp..... best choice with the stuff youve got listed: dune port... i like jeff at FAST racing... great guy to deal with. and youll be in the 70 hp range! its 350 for the porting... after that NOBODY will be able to keep up on their "fuel injected million cc thumper pos"

good luck!

ok thanks really like the end part of your pos lolt: :rotflmao: after that NOBODY will be able to keep up on their "fuel injected million cc thumper pos"

Edited by 400sbc