oil leak

banshee 268

I am not positive about this, but from your picture it looks like the plug might be missing and what you are actually lokking at is the end of the shift fork rail. If so, you need to get a plug in there. If the plug is in there then I would tip the bike up on its side, clean the hole REALLY WELL so there is no oil left in there and then seal it up with some RTV silicone sealer.

I am not positive about this, but from your picture it looks like the plug might be missing and what you are actually lokking at is the end of the shift fork rail. If so, you need to get a plug in there. If the plug is in there then I would tip the bike up on its side, clean the hole REALLY WELL so there is no oil left in there and then seal it up with some RTV silicone sealer.

Jump on cascadeinnovations.net and go to the Genuine yamaha banshee parts section. Its an aluminum plug that helps hold the shift fork rail in place. Easy fix. Tip the bike on its side so the fluid stops leaking into the hole, spray it out with carb cleaner and dry it out and clean it real good, take the new plug and tap it into the hole. Problem solved.

Don't pack the hole full of RTV, that's just silly. The OEM plugs that fit in there are only a few bucks, and are made to fit and seal that little hole.

The part you are looking for is in the following: www.cascadeinnovations.net > Genuine Yamaha Banshee Parts > Case Plugs > Engine Case Straight Plug - 84C Part No. 90334-10006 $2.75 a piece.

http://67.199.65.66/cascade_innovations/newlook/store/store_View.cfm?STORE_AREA_ID=29&store_dept_id=357

Kevin at Herr Jugs racing can also get the part for you. Give him a call if you'd like. His number is in my sig.

Edited by BigRed350x

yep that is what you need right there is a plug. any sponsor will have them. the reason mine fell out there is a shaft on the other side and there is a e-clip on it and mine fell off so there was more side to side motion causeing to be pushed out. unforturnely the cases have to be split in order to replace that e-clip. just an idea of what may have caused it.

yep that is what you need right there is a plug. any sponsor will have them. the reason mine fell out there is a shaft on the other side and there is a e-clip on it and mine fell off so there was more side to side motion causeing to be pushed out. unforturnely the cases have to be split in order to replace that e-clip. just an idea of what may have caused it.

Wow, your clip must have been really worn out, or not installed correctly. Those little clips are a tight fit on the rods. There is also a locking washer type deal behind the shift shaft adjustment bolt on the clutch side that should also block the shift fork rod from moving.

Sometimes the plugs just come out without anything being wrong internally. I've seen a couple of them fall out. When I do a brand new build and have the cases split and the transmission out, I will tap threads into the hole and put a threaded plug in there, so I don't have to worry about the little plugs ever coming out.

• 6 years later...

Last time I tapped it in a little farther than flush. But I've tried plugging this with various things in the past and they tend to come shooting out. If my case breather were plugged, would the pressure possibly attempt to escape through this hole? It doesn't seem like it's "shaking loose", it's being pushed out 

• 5 years later...

Mines leaking, the one to the left of the nuetral cover, my bad builder gooped a bunch of JB weld on the area, and i think oil is seeping from the JB area...I want to chisel off JB,  pull out plug install new one, have aluminum welder guy seal it off..

How should i extract existing plug?

Is it bad to weld here? Is that hole needed open during rebuild ops?...

Ill spend the time and money to seal it once and for all if its a smart idea