Mods to suit my riding style

SAMoloGY

guys, need some help modding my shee for the my particular riding style.. im from Bahrain, a Desert island in the Gulf.. and what we have is a limestone desert consisting of mainly hard rock, low speed and high speed trails, very fine sand and accumulated dust to huge sand dunes and some long stretches of asphalted road to get from one riding area to the other.

my current mods are pro circuit pipes, jetted and a K&N in-box filter with the lid removed. the Banshee runs great and has never given me any problems.. power is plentiful though id sometimes like more power down low. but, my major concern here is the long stretches of road that i sometimes have to take.. ive been told that driving on the road could melt my top end.. problem is, we ride as a group of Trail Bikes and many 4 stroke Quads.. the only other Shee in our group has already damaged his motor.

are there any mods i can do to be able to do some road riding without sacrificing my motor's life?? i do not like to be left behind as im usually ahead of everyone when it really matters.. in the sand! and is it true that when riding on asphalt i need to keep shaking the engine and alternate between gears and throttle? if so, could someone explain why?

guys, need some help modding my shee for the my particular riding style.. im from Bahrain, a Desert island in the Gulf.. and what we have is a limestone desert consisting of mainly hard rock, low speed and high speed trails, very fine sand and accumulated dust to huge sand dunes and some long stretches of asphalted road to get from one riding area to the other.

my current mods are pro circuit pipes, jetted and a K&N in-box filter with the lid removed. the Banshee runs great and has never given me any problems.. power is plentiful though id sometimes like more power down low. but, my major concern here is the long stretches of road that i sometimes have to take.. ive been told that driving on the road could melt my top end.. problem is, we ride as a group of Trail Bikes and many 4 stroke Quads.. the only other Shee in our group has already damaged his motor.

are there any mods i can do to be able to do some road riding without sacrificing my motor's life?? i do not like to be left behind as im usually ahead of everyone when it really matters.. in the sand! and is it true that when riding on asphalt i need to keep shaking the engine and alternate between gears and throttle? if so, could someone explain why?

The problem comes from people having mis-jetted carbs. If its not jetted correctly it run it lean....and is EXTREMELY hard on the top end....especially when your riding at almost max throttle for long distance. To keep your motor as safe as possible do yourself a plug chop and jet it accordingly....or even slightly rich. And avoid riding long streches with it pinned wide open.

2-strokes will need rebuilds more often than 4-strokes (i bet i get shit on for that comment)....this has ALOT to do with the massively faster amount of REVs that a 2-stroke turns. and then again we come back to people not having jetted their bikes correctly.

If you want power and to lead..... keep your shee. if you wanna NOT do maintenance but be in the back....buy a 4-joke

Warm your bike up with your old spark plugs, put some new ones in and run it wide open down the road shut it off and coast to a stop using brakes of course and check the plugs. If they aren't white you should be all set, keep em like a cardboard brown. I run mine down the road all season wide tight to the bar, i slow down every now n then blip the throttle drop it to 5th and bounce back up to 6th. You will be fine just don't clamp it and hold it there for 5 miles.

wouldnt hurt to put a cool head on it either well worth the money.. and it sounds like ur buddy was running it lean i like it a little rich im running a prodesighn 20 cc head with fmf golds power core 2 with fmf 270main and needle i beleave 30 on the other jet k&n with out lid and im pretty much wide open 1st and 2nd trail riding and hill climing... o and if u have a boost bottle throw it out

GET RID OF THAT K&N!!!!! get a good foam filter, and an outerwear for that as well seeing as you are in a dessert and sand area. the banshee will not have the same low end torque that your 4 stroke buddies will have. your pro circuits already have some of the best bottom end you can get. either get your head cut and reshaped or get a cool head. there is no real evidence about cooling effect with the cool heads compared to a stoker but they do offer flexibility with changing domes to different elv. to try to avoid running race fuel. advance your timing with an adjustable timing plate and you can advance or retard your timing of when the spark plug fires to adjust for bottom and top end. and lastly, invest in some carbon fiber reeds and a ported reed cage. these are about all you can do with it besides some serious porting and stroking. and for your heating issues, run a richer coolant along with keeping your rpms low when you dont need to be rapped out. as long as you are getting airflow through the radiator, it will keep fairly cool.

Edited by banshee67

What kind of tires you are using? size?

What gearing you have?

How long you need to go on the road and what is your speed?

A Banshee motor is basicly the same as in the RD350 LC street bike, so you can go on-road for a long time without any problems.

...as long as the jetting is good.

-Pasi S.