Issues With Tripledsracing - Dave

I just want to let everyone know of a deal I have going on with Dave, tripledracing/triple d's. I had a 4mm DM duner as well as a Yamaha YFZ duner for sale. Dave and I had both kicked around a trade for a bit(both of my bikes for his 16mm DM triple). So we make a deal and meet half way on Sunday.

Here is what was listed that the triple had.

* 16mm DM Triple

* 11 Plate Clutch

* Billet Tranny

* 100" Lonestar Chassis

* Perfect Shape, Needs nothing

* Best Of Everything etc, etc, etc

We took a quick glance at the triple, just long enough to make sure it had everything on it and BS for a bit, then hit the road. Mistake, we should have went over it with a fine tooth comb. During that time the only thing I noticed right off the bat was that it did not have one of the Mattoon 11 plate covers on it. Dave said oh, this was an Nmotion 11 plate set-up. I told him I had no idea Nmotion even had an 11 plate set-up. Dave said he had this thing apart to fix an air leak at the primary and he counted out 11 plates when it was apart. I took his word for it. I then noticed it had Mikuni carbs on it currently with stock bowls, and in the picture he was selling it with it had Lectrons with billet bowls. Dave said he was sorry but he had sold the Lectrons a long time ago because they were junk and that was an old picture.

We get back to the shop and start taking a look at the bike, and notice that this really isn't a DM. It is a 78mm bore Cheetah, kinda odd. We call Calvin to confirm this and this in fact was cast before the DMs were released, very low numbers released to a few big builders as a test platform for the DM. I let Dave know and he says he will contact the previous owner. Get to the bearing support and go to take the side cover off. As we remove the bearing support, the bearing support nut comes off in the cover. Our best guess is someone had cross threaded it, then jammed the cover on. Of course something has to give if it is cross threaded and not straight, and it was the main shaft that gave. The piece of main shaft is still left cross treaded in the support nut right now as you can see in the picture. We take apart the clutch, and just as we had assumed, it is a 9 plate N Motion clutch set-up and not an 11 plate. We then get to the flywheel, take it off, get the crank out and as we are inspecting everything we notice the threads on the end of the crank are stretched. It looks as if someone must have torqued the nut with so much force from an impact that they stretched the threads. You can see in the picture it is stretched so bad that it has not only thinned that portion of the crank, but also changed the pitch of the threads. Weak point, and I have seen more than once where the end of the crank breaks off at the threads at the track.

I originally made the trade to build this into a larger motor, hoping to save some green by getting a lot of the base parts, and sell the DM upper end, frame, etc. After putting some thought into it I decided I now need a main shaft on the tranny, replace the stator side of the crank, purchase the 11 plate this was supposed to have, etc not to mention the biggest problem - it was sold as a DM and in fact is not. I contacted Dave today, and told him I decided I wanted to just back out of this deal. I told him this motor was not what we had traded for. He responded with a statement saying he was told it was a DM from the guy he bought it from and he had been lied to. He said that he was also told it was an 11 plate when he bought it, and I should call the guy he bought it from and see what he would do. The other problems weren't there when he sold it to me he said.

I responded. Really? So these issues were caused by what?…Driving home in a trailer?…Taking it apart? I stated that I would gladly reassemble this triple motor back exactly as it came here, and he give me both of my bikes back once again. Or, I could fix any issues it has as it was going together if he would like me to for only the cost of parts, no labor at all and then trade it back to him for both of my bikes.

He then stated that he had already taken the YFZ apart, bought drag a arms, as well as an over-ride. I told him I will take the YFZ back in pieces just as it is, and if you cannot back out of your purchase on the arms or the tranny I will buy those as well so you are not out a penny.

He then stated that he heard that I was shady, and screw a lot of people over. Really? You are going to go there? Anyone that knows me knows better. Either way, how does what is happening in this trade make ME shady anyway?? Maybe I'm just lost.

The biggest thing here is it was sold as a DM, and it is not. Plain and simple. It should not be my job to contact any previous seller and hash it out with them. That would be his job if in fact there was truly an issue there. Dave should make good on this, give me back my two bikes, take his triple and do with it as he pleases. There is just too much wrong, and it is not as it was stated when it was sold, plain and simple.

Maybe noone cares, and maybe you didn't even read down this far, lol, but I think this is something everyone needs to know about beings he is on these forums so much.

TripleDTranny.jpg

TripleDCrankEnd.jpg

TripleD9Plate.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, that sucks. I dont have a dog in the fight, but any gripe you have he should address, not refer you to the original seller. You bought it from him, not somebody else. If he sold it as a DM with an 11 plate clutch and its not, that is his problem to resolve. Just because that is what he was told it was, doesnt get him off the hook in my mind. If selling something imho you are responsible to verify that it is what it is before advertising it for sale and then selling it. Hopefully you guys can get it resolved.

Thanks guys, yeah I hope he makes good on this too. Up to now he has just blamed it on the original motor builder and says its his fault. No matter if it's Dave's fault or the original seller, this trade was between me and Dave and went bad. My bikes are due back to me. From there he can go after the original owner, or whatever it is he wants to do.

Considering I wouldn't know the difference between a Cheeta and a DM if they both bit me on the ass, the fact remains you can't sell a Ford and call it a Chevy.( I at least know there is that much difference) I do know when you get to that level of performance you are constantly tearing down for inspection/maintenance. So how could he have missed the clutch? Granted the crank might have been from the last assembly but not the sprocket nut. And it's not like someone is going to let you tear it apart before you deal. Karma can be a bitch. Guess he best not come around here no more. If he were a REAL man he would make good. :yank: What your daddy should have done 333DDD :flush:

damn man i just hate it when people do this kind of stuff to others, he needs to grow back some balls and admit he screwed you and make it right, theres no freaking way he was unaware of all those problems, what has it come too are we to the point of tearing down someones quad on a trailer in a parking lot? im really sorry to hear about this, in my opinion anyone who buys a race quad will take it down just to make sure everything is ok, just as you did and im sure he did i hope he mans up

damn man i just hate it when people do this kind of stuff to others, he needs to grow back some balls and admit he screwed you and make it right, theres no freaking way he was unaware of all those problems, what has it come too are we to the point of tearing down someones quad on a trailer in a parking lot? im really sorry to hear about this, in my opinion anyone who buys a race quad will take it down just to make sure everything is ok, just as you did and im sure he did i hope he mans up

That was my point. How can you own a bike like that and not know nothing about it? When you get into big HP its high maintance.

I think he was unloading a headache.

Thanks for the support guys! And you are right, it is a shame any of us need to worry about these type of people. There have been a TON of people coming forward both through the forums and just in PMs telling me about this same type of experience with Dave. I have to believe at least half it deceit, and we will chalk the other half to selling way above his head.

On one of the other sites he claims the picture of the crank is a crank that we have laying around so we can rip him off. First of all anyone who knows us knows better, and second of all I think it is funny that we just so happen to have a 16mm 132 rod triple crank with a bad end chillin on the bench. You know, just in case we need to deceive anyone. Lol What a clown. This guy needs to be banned or at the very least shunned from every aspect of this sport!

Thanks again for your support!