PC'd my cylinders today

rubberneck

Shot my cylinders today in ultimate chrome. Or as i like to call it lazy mans polished aluminum. Looks like polish, but stays polished. LOL trying to decide if im going to do the cases the same or shoot them in pearl black to match the frame. Leaning towards the pearl black. I should have spent a little more time cleaning up the casting flaws, but oh well half the damn things get covered by the pipes. Next time ill be more diligent.

Cylinders are 4mm play port done by FAST

IMG_20101125_134454.jpg

IMG_20101125_134524.jpg

does that one require a clear coat?

frames are OK that color is best used as a nice shinny base coat for trans colors OR with a COOL flake clear on top..

Yep needs clear or it oxidizes pretty quickly if outdoors. I havent found a chrome that doesn't which is too bad Because it takes a way a lot of the shine.

i dont know what an ezbake is. I have a hypersmooth gun and i just use an old household range that my neighbor was getting rid of for free cause the cooktop didnt work. Perfect for me cause all i needed was the oven part. I built an extension that sits on the open door and doubles the size of the oven. I can do parts as wide as 19 inches and as long as 40 inches with this set up. Perfect for swingers, arms, cases etc. I wish i had an oven big enough to do a frame, but i might build one someday. I painted my frame and am PCing everything else.

I would tell you that if all you are going to do is this bike, take the parts to a shop, you will save money. By the time you buy a sandblaster, rig up an oven of some kind, and then buy a gun, you will probably spend almost as much as if you payed to do the bike, plus if you want an oven big enough for a frame, that will be pricey unless you build/scrounge it up. It is a pretty easy process, but like any finishing technique it takes some practice. I got the clear a little heavy on one side of the right cylinder. cant see it in the pics, but i notice it a bit. Shooting candies and whatnot is the hardest because you need to get a nice smooth even coat and on something like a frame, that will take practice. There are always hard spots that either dont want to take powder or take too much. Again, this is mostly due to user experience, and i am still learning. Just been coating shit around the house and on my bikes and cars for about a year. When i get on a roll and do several little coating projects all at once, i start to get pretty good, then ill jack up a part and have to reshoot it. Some powders spray really easy, some seem to be a pain. So like i say if its something you think you might enjoy doing then go for it, but just to do a bike, i say pay for it.

I'd like to coat a bunch of the shee's parts (swinger, arms, nerfs, bumper, rims... etc.), my gsxr and truck could use some parts. If i could do parts as big as my bikes rims I'd think it would be worth it.

I'd love to do both my frames but It seems like that won't be doable without a custom rig.

Would you mind posting a pic of your extension that you mentioned for the oven?

i was joking about it being an ezbake. just asking if it was a DIY setup

2795812670_4492358107.jpg

Oh gotcha, yeah i dont think you will have much luck with that oven other than maybe nuts and bolts. :rotflmao: I dont have any pics of the extension but next time im at the shop i will snap some. Basically we made a metal cube out of 3/4 inch square steel tube, open on the end that faces the oven and put a fireplace gasket on it. lined the interior with sheetmetal, then insulated it with rock wool, then sheeted the outside with aluminum sheeting. Buiit a door for the other end and the whole thing sits on the open door of the oven with a support under it. Doubles the size of the oven. Idealy we would have a fan in it to circulate air, as the front tends to run about 20 degrees cooler than the main box. thats next on the project list.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cases done the other day, now i just need some time off so i can get it all together. Color is flash pearl metallic (think black with pearl clear coat) Damn, the cases were a bear. The bottom is a nightmare to try and get even coverage on. If anybody out there has done it before, what are the tricks. banghead I sprayed it twice and wasnt happy with the results so blew the powder off each time and finally on the 3rd try it was decent, so i baked it. I then pulled it out of the oven just as it started to flow out and then shot the bottom again. that helped a lot but i didnt get too aggressive cause i didnt want runs. There are some light spots in the webbing, but hell its on the bottom of the bike nobody is going to see that untill i crash and then i wont care. LOL

IMG_20101130_171600.jpg

IMG_20101130_171742.jpg

IMG_20101130_172108.jpg

looks good.. yea cases are a real bitchh to do.. i have done many many many sets of them.. definately some hard spots to get to on them.. i did a little modifying to my gun to help get te powder where i want it.. i use an eastwood gun.. they now make one with a higher kv which would help also.. but u did a nice job..

Looks good Phil, but you know you won't ride it!!!

HAHAH fucker. Actually im leaving for dumont in 25 days, so i need to get my ass in gear.

Got the silencers pc/d and end caps polished today

IMG_20101205_125239.jpg

Check out the cascade chrome on these babies. If you are looking for pipes and want the bling, get them from cascade. These are the nicest chromed pipes i have seen.

IMG_20101205_125910.jpg