Tire/Bead Problem

wacko2000

I run 22'' super swampers on my shee, Im having a problem with the bead. I have done this like 3-4 times that i blow them off the bead.

I run them with like 1-2psi, they are a real tough tire, you could them with .5psi and not even know it.

Also, if im on the street heading to the hills or wherever these tires get so narrow that i can actually see the inside of the rim, they are ready to pop off at any second. Also seems like its always the inside bead that breaks.

Anyone else have this problem with these tires of any other aggressive 22'' tire???

thanks

I never had that problem. I have run and still run them on 9 & 10" rims. 9" being stock rims.

I drag raced them on asphault many times and never had them pop off.

I love them. If you want to sell them, hit me up :headbang:

You won't find them ANYWHERE from here on out by the way...

I run 3 PSI on small hills and places that are hard packed...

Lower PSI (1.5-2 PSI max) on loose stuff.

I have so many of these tires stashed away right now I'll be good for the rest of my life.

I run a 10" rim, This drives me crazy

I like the tire and seem to hook well but I cant seem to figure this out.

It annoys me I have to be easy on the street bc they are about to explode off the rims.

I guess ill bring them to be reseal AGAIN...

Anyone else experience this???

Try seating it yourself just to eliminate any tire shop mess ups. What I do is mix some dish soap in a cup with a little bit of water, pour it around the bead on each side. Then take a ratchet strap and wrap it around the circumferance of the tire ( in the center), ratchet it down tight then hit it with a 100 p,s.i. till you hear the bead pop. May not be the conventional way of doing it but it's never failed me yet. Hope it helps.

I'v mounted at least 10 sets of Swampers and haven't had any come back with the beads unseating. I put 6 lbs of air em for the customer and then they can drop the pressure to whatever psi they want. 1-1\2 lbs of air sound really low, especially on non-beadlock rims. Most sport quad tires run between 3 and 6 lbs.

Some tire beads just slide right into position on the rim without making a loud pop, but the Swampers should make a nice POP when the beads are fully seated, at least one side should make the POP sound. Air em up yourself to make sure they're seated. If you confirm that they're fully seated and they still come off the rim, then you just can't run such low of an air pressure in em.

Also, the 12.5 inch wide Swamper is pretty wide. So perhaps your rims are too narrow. Rule of thumb is your tires should be no more than 2 inches wider than your rim. Most of the Swampers Iv'e mounted stuck out pretty far past the edge of the rim. Find out your rim size number sometime.

Denny,

1.5 pounds is optimum for those tires. Some run even less. These tires are completely different than holeshots or trail tires. They are rugged and too much air won't allow all of the tread pattern to expose itself to the turf you're riding on. Anymore than 2.5-3 pounds or more PSI and they are a donut riding on the inner part of the tire only.

This is coming from someone who runs these tires all the time. You know that.

• 2 weeks later...

check with the tire shop to see what they mix the tire soap at.....it's a long shop, but i've seen 100%murphy's used before, rather than deluted. with a nice stiff tire, try the following..... first, wash and scuff the bead of the rim with scotch-brite. you want to use the least amount of soap as possible..mostly water, just enough to break tension/friction. seat the bead, and drop the pressure down....pound the tire with a mallet, or 3-4# sledgeon the sidewall with outward strokes, then deflate and air back up to max, and let it out to what you want.........double seating is a verry common practice in the tire industry.....but the hammer thing is something i did and watched it seat around the rim further when i put mine on. i just had them mount/dismount at the shop. if it spins off again, hit it with some brake clean around the bead and seat again...this will temporarily soften the bead and make it stick...

I have only had this happen twice in one day 2 miles from my housein aout 10 inches of show in a field with the only way out up a hill this sucked as tire came of the inside and out side bead ( big 25 inch spider treks ) got them cheap at yard sale.

I limped it home sealed it up and it happened again so I switched out the tires for my trail tires and never played with them again. wonder if it could be a faulty tire or a damaged tire when he mounted it.

hopefully you get this figured out

• 3 months later...

I had aproblem with this type of tire popping off with low air pressure in the trails but they do work awesome. try getting some beadlock tire cement --- it is in a can and goes on the rim before the tire is seated -- looks black like tar and has the thickness of unset jello pudding -- use this all the time especially on front tires and when drag racing cars -- the tire will not even slip on the rims under higher HP launches at a rece track/dragstrip -- just food fo thought if you keep popping beads