2x75wbulbs ok with stock wiring?

I just bought some new laser star lights for my bike and they have 75w bulbs in them. I want to know if anyone has put something like this on their bike. It seemed high to me but I know my stator can handle it. Do I have to change the wiring or switch?

Your stock wiring and switch will be fine. Also, Just an FYI, just because you have a 200w stator, does not mean that all 200w goes to your lighting circuit. Some of that is designated for your ignition circuit (I'm not sure how much, though).

might want to beef up the frame to stator/engine ground.....and 200w is max rated...you usually don't ever see that much output. that 150 watts is pretty much as much as you can run ok on it

That's a very good point. 80% of max rated is a pretty good rule for electrical. No didn't remember I'm an electrical engineer. I'm going to downsize the bulbs to be safe.

The igniton and cdi gets electricity from a different wiring circuit. Your stator has 2 circuits. The igniton stator coils (square white plug). The lighting circuit is the yellow and back wires with the bullit conectors. That is why your banshee will run with out them pluged in.

The igniton and cdi gets electricity from a different wiring circuit. Your stator has 2 circuits. The igniton stator coils (square white plug). The lighting circuit is the yellow and back wires with the bullit conectors. That is why your banshee will run with out them pluged in.

So, how many watts is the lighting ckt? I'm still going to resize my bulbs, but I would like to know.

well, the flywheel pretty much tops out around 7k+rpm, so, basically, the stator should put out 200watts from the lighting when you are in the pipe........but that's down at 10v and under. it generally keeps the voltage high enough for decent light output around 70% load, and that's 2krpm+ (a little higher than idle, like just cruisin around) the 150 watts is only 75%, so it would work ok, unless you have the tail light(13watts), and, of coarse, the stock harness ground isn't ideal for over 100watts, but will work...

• 2 weeks later...

well, the flywheel pretty much tops out around 7k+rpm, so, basically, the stator should put out 200watts from the lighting when you are in the pipe........but that's down at 10v and under. it generally keeps the voltage high enough for decent light output around 70% load, and that's 2krpm+ (a little higher than idle, like just cruisin around) the 150 watts is only 75%, so it would work ok, unless you have the tail light(13watts), and, of coarse, the stock harness ground isn't ideal for over 100watts, but will work...

You could get a led taillight bulb and free up some wattage(if you are running a taillight).