New suspension creaking

DAL

I just replaced the stock front suspension with some Fox Floats, and took her out for the test ride yesterday. I rode for a few hours at a local MX track, and they performed flawlessly. However, when I got home and took her out of the truck and moved her into the garage, I noticed some fairly loud "creaking" coming from the front.

The bike sat in the garage for a couple hours before I had time to come out and fully examine, and the creaking seemed louder at that time. It really only creaks when I turn the wheels in either direction, and the sound appears to be coming from somewhere around the bottom shock mount/spindles. The weird thing is, it's also making something in the rear creak as well (appears to be coming from the left side of the swingarm).

I know this is a little vague, but has anyone experienced something like this before? The sound is a weird mix of creaking/grinding; it almost sounds like something that should be greased is dry. But why would the sound also be coming from the rear? I'm kind of freaking out, thinking I snapped the frame or something, but I inspected fairly thoroughly and couldn't find anything.

I'll see if I can record the sound and post it somewhere for a better idea what I'm talking about. Until then, any immediate thoughts?

I would just go through it and make sure everything is tight all suspension and steering related fasteners as well as grease every zerk fitting on the bike. There might be one hidden in the pivot bearing on the swingarm itself I can't remember it's been a while since I've looked. Check the dogbone too see if it's got any zerk fittings as well. Hope that helps.

Kyle

It is no big deal. It always sounds much worse than it is.

Take the front shocks off. You can actually just remove the bottom bolt if you want to be lazy.

On the bottom of the shock where the bolt slides through, there is a metal pivot pin. It looks like the pin that hold the piston to the rod on your motor. Slide that metal pin (about the size of your thumb) out. Clean it and grease it. The area where it rides on the shock is probably also dirty and dry. Clean and grease that area as well.

Put it all back together and the squeak will be gone.

It is no big deal. It always sounds much worse than it is.

Take the front shocks off. You can actually just remove the bottom bolt if you want to be lazy.

On the bottom of the shock where the bolt slides through, there is a metal pivot pin. It looks like the pin that hold the piston to the rod on your motor. Slide that metal pin (about the size of your thumb) out. Clean it and grease it. The area where it rides on the shock is probably also dirty and dry. Clean and grease that area as well.

Put it all back together and the squeak will be gone.

x2 on the lower shock mount. Almost ALWAYS the cause of front STOCK end squeaks. As for the rear, I've rarely heard a stock banshee swingarm that DOESN'T squeak. Probably the same issue as the front end. Pull the shock, and grease the the sleeve. Also the linkage will have two zirk fittings, on the small part of the link. Grease those bad boys up, and if it still squeaks, screw it, you can't hear it when your wide-effing-open.

You described it as a creaking, though... not a squeak. Fox floats don't use rubber bushings, they use heims, with misalignment spacers. Those won't squeak, unless they are REALLY worn out. So I would suspect that it's your upper and lower arms, where they mount to your frame. You will find Zirk fittings on the arms themselves, grease em up. If it's kind of a grinding noise, you might have some grit between your brake pads, and rotors... compressed air or a can of brake cleaner should take care of that quickly.

Derek it ain't anything new. Everyone ive ever owned squeaked. Little bearing grease on the inside of the bushing will fix it. How was Halletsville. Do they have a nice Track? What about there drag strip area was it a little more wide open and flat for my kind of bike?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Makes me feel a lot better (I've been freaking out) thinking it was some major problem. I took a quick video of the front and back this morning, and will post a link to it tonight, just to make sure it really isn't a big deal. It's just weird how she didn't creak at all, then I change the suspension and this pops up. I was wondering if it put some kind of undue pressure on the frame, since Fox advertises that it adds 2" of wheel travel.

As for the Zirk fittings; do I just use a grease gun for those? Will any type/brand work, or does anyone have a specific suggestion?

Derek it ain't anything new. Everyone ive ever owned squeaked. Little bearing grease on the inside of the bushing will fix it. How was Halletsville. Do they have a nice Track? What about there drag strip area was it a little more wide open and flat for my kind of bike?

It's a nice, informal place to relax and ride. The owner broke his ribs the weekend before, and then they had a ton of rain last week, so none of the tracks were groomed very well, and there were a few areas with standing water. Another guy with a SICK MX 'shee showed up right as I was leaving. The drag strip was pretty long (enough for you to get to fourth or even fifth gear), but had a few ruts. I'm sure it's primo when properly groomed.

But overall it was a lot of fun, and was exactly what I was looking for to break the suspension in. Man, it's a HELL of a drive though. Next time I go I'm definitely staying the night. I'll be tied up for the next couple weekends, but will hit you up when I head to the Splendora track.

In the light of everyone's suggestion, I think you guys are right; she just needs some grease.

I uploaded a crappy short video though just so I can have you guys take a listen. She normally isn't this dirty, I promise... :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpK8-MDRk0

I've never heard squeaking that bad before.. But yeah I think just grease the living hell out of everything and see where that gets you. Yeah a plain ol' grease gun hand powered or pneumatic will work (be careful with the pneumatic ones they are very powerful) and i think just that plain old grease for stock bushings. You only need special grease when you use polyurethane bushings.

WOW...

after i eat a lot of mexican my ass makes these weird sounds also. not so much after taco bell but really a lot after the local places..

here is some recordings whats wrong???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-e5jbHfSW0&feature=related

LOL.

Every thread needs at least one asshole to contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation in a childish, immature attempt to make someone look stupid. Thanks for steppin up Cammie! :clap: