Tire and trail riding question

sootman73

So i need new tires bad cuz i cant hook until im in like 4th or 5th gear. my buddies 400ex is running all over me because of it! What do you guys suggest for a good all around tire? and what size? i'm gonna be field riding and running along the side of the road mostly on somwewhat steep slopes and right now i just slide down em everytime the powerband kicks....

Also he made a square track in the field yesterday that i went riding on with him and he was passing me. i'm sure i gotta get used to riding but i have a feeling the +6 swingarm was killing me on the turns...? should i throw the original back on for field and trail riding? Also i couldn't get the right gearing for that track as third didn't let me get into the powerband unless i clutched it and second ran out of revs. track was too short for shifting on straight aways...

thanks guys

turf tamers and 13/42and41 gears but gncc's are allot tougher that's what i use.

The long swing arm hurts traction. Put a stock one on there before you buy tires.

And for tires I like my cut knarlys. But they dont slide easy.

yea but i dont think anything would help those worn down dunlops that are on there. and im just bolting the stock swingarm back on now. should take about an hour to finish tomorrow night.

good choice, the pros run em for a reason

yep thats what i was thinking.

Going to a lower teeth front sprocket will hurt traction since it will be easier for the motor to turn the tires.

I run 15/41 now but couldnt pull it worth a crap when i was bolt ons. Even when just ported i had problems. Hell, right now with my prowedges it does decent in 5th. I could go back to 14/41 but i like the "longer gears" :confused:

Well i got the stock swingarm on and wow a completely different machine! i about hit so many things cuz it turns so much quicker now! oh and then i checked the air pressure in the tires and they were all at 0 psi! so i put them to five and its a lot bumpier but much faster now! so much easier to roll now! so much more fun to ride now!

cant wait to get my new tires and see what it can do!

It's a different bike since I got my new set of wheels/tires from the original Dunlops; I used to run them at 4.4psi. A few pictures of the difference from the originals, I'm now 48" wide without wheels spacers.

P.S. They are Kendas and they bring me anywhere my wife goes with her 4x4, no reason to complain yet…

post-32374-12849264920816_thumb.jpg

post-32374-12849265000932_thumb.jpg

post-32374-12849265079866_thumb.jpg

Your welcome.

Now just experiment with different pressure and practice launching. Drag racing is mostly about set up. But if you keep it just for fun, it's a great way to pass the time.

I hate the hardest time getting my knarlys to hook. then one day just by looking at a picture a fellow HQ member said i had way too much air in my tires. He was right banghead

Edited by RagunCajun

Well im not so worried about drag racing though i will be doing some of that just between buddies but mostly trail/field stuff that requires quick cornering and turning. especially going around catch basins, road signs, and wood chuck mounds.

But i'm gettin pumped for the crops coming off finally around me to get to ride more and get the speed up other than the road. my buddy wont race me on the road though i know my bike is faster than his.

UPS says the tires are delivered too bad im stuck here at work until ten...... i'll throw em on while taking pics and let ya see how they changed the bike.