Gearing and first mod questions

sootman73

So i traded my truck for the banshee and the truck. banshee runs awesome and i never knew what you guys were talking about when you said it hit hard but wow i know now! LOL

The problem is that i'd like a little more bottom end. timing plate adjustment?

another thing is that i ride in open fields mostly and its soft ground. I dont get much of a chance to ride wide open sixth gear. should i change sprocket sizes to get a little less speed in each gear? seems like i would want to be running in sixth more often than i am. how many of you guys changed your sprocket sizes or gearing?

So i traded my truck for the banshee and the truck. banshee runs awesome and i never knew what you guys were talking about when you said it hit hard but wow i know now! LOL

The problem is that i'd like a little more bottom end. timing plate adjustment?

another thing is that i ride in open fields mostly and its soft ground. I dont get much of a chance to ride wide open sixth gear. should i change sprocket sizes to get a little less speed in each gear? seems like i would want to be running in sixth more often than i am. how many of you guys changed your sprocket sizes or gearing?

Yeah a timing plate is a good bang for the buck. As for the gearing you could drop one tooth in the front, that should lower you gears a little IMO. I'm no gearing expert though. I still run stock gears on my shee

yea i have no idea i've never had a quad before and i have only had this one for 4 days now. haven't even gone riding with anyone else yet. we'll see though. harvest is coming and there will be many more places to ride. maybe the gearing will be better.

Now is the timing plate really that easy to do? i downloaded and printed off the shop manual so i'm sure that will help a lot. And i am good at wrenching but with how easy things are to break on these(i'm used to diesel trucks) i dont want to end up costing myself a bunch of money....

X-2 on PROPER flywheel puller , no 2-3 jaws.Leave your 3/4 drives at work . Treat every piece like an injector and you'll be fine. If you think you need more out of the hole then drop one tooth in front.

Hey Sootman,

Check the number of teeth you've got on the front and don't go below 13T. 12T will wear extremely fast. If you're already at 13, you can add three in the back and get the same effect as dropping one in the front. The shop manual is great but I'd also get the Clymers manual. It's a little too step-by-steppish for someone with your experience in diesels but it'll help you in some detail areas. It's the best $25 I ever spent on my Banshee. Also makes a great place to keep notes on your mods ;)

You can also get a 4 degree flywheel advance key, Vito's sells them for $19.95. Supposed to give you a extra 1-2hp. Just don't buy one of those boost bottles to replace your cross over tube they dont do anything for you.

it already has a boost bottle on it. i didnt buy it but does it hurt because i dont want to have to buy a stock one...

It is my understanding that over time your throttle cable can wear a hole through the boost bottle from the constant rubbing on it, I haven't had it happen to me but the bottle i took off my banshee had a groove in it dont know how long the bottle was on mine but I had a crossover tube laying around that I put on.

what area are you in. Lots of grass fields in indiana. The field ridind takes a way different setup than sand. You dont need any more top end you need to make it hook and have a controllable powerband. The 13 tooth is a better choice than the stock 14. The 12 might be even better for what you are doing but like someone else said they wear out quick. I recommend the 13 tooth with a 41 tooth rear sprocket. That will get you into 6th alot quicker. The lower gearing is funny in the grass it will make it easier to spin the tires but makes the spin more controllable and lets you get it back up on the pipe quicker after backing off. very important in grass/ field riding Might as well get a chain while you are getting new sprockets. Def do the timing plate it is inexpensive and more timing will give you better low end. My next mod recommendations would be Getting your stock head milled or a coolhead to raise compression. Then pod air filters. and a good radial tire like what comes on the 400ex, or the raptor, and the yzf 450s. Those type of tires hook the best in the grass. IMO Then the only thing left is a cheap set of used pipes like FMFs hope that helps