It really sucks

Kev55

It really sucks to get fucked. banghead

So I've always wanted an atv and specifically chose the banshee as my first bike because i know it has a good reputation and kinda stood up above the rest in my opinion. So I put in the extra hours saving up. Sold my car for a truck and finally had a good amount of money on the side so that i could start picking one out. scanned CL for a while until I finally came across this 99 shee going for $1900 that ran strong had FMF pipes, boost bottle, and some other small mods. But it was also very used and the seat cover was coming off along w/ the plastics being pretty bad and had bald tires.

I was more flexible about how it looked because everything else I saw was 2200+ for just a decent stock shee. So the plan was to save a little, buy this and have it as a project and fix up all the small things and learn as I go.

Call the guy and after being super sketchy and leaving me waiting all day I finally meet up w/ him and he shows me the bike. Starts right up, jump on and start taking it for a ride (this is my first time riding so I dont know how its supposed to feel) pulled hard and I was able to feel the powerband kick in and i was like oh hell yeah. Shifting though was super hard but I'm thinking in my head maybe I'm just not used to using my hand for the clutch and foot to shift. Also the guy said the clutch is a little old and that it might be harder. Once again I was like w.e no biggie. But anyways haggle the guy down to 1800 give him the money and take the bike home.

Next day I take it out maybe ride for about 25min boom blown head gasket so I'm like fuck... order a new one its the wrong size because he didnt bother to tell me that the engine was bored out and I never thought to check :shrugani: So with the head gasket too small when i turned it over it pull one of the rings off and scored my left piston so once again I'm like fuccckkkk call him up and he offers to sell me cheetah cylinders before i could explain even explain what happened to the piston... and im like wtf no I just want to get it running. So I eventually get frustrated enough that i pull the engine and drop it off at a shop.

get a call back... cylinders are completely bored out to the max so i HAVE to get sleeves and then I have to get it re-ported to match the sleeves. Also the transmission... The main shaft is broken and all of the forks are bent.... :angry: I get quoted for over $2000 for parts, labor, and machining.

call the guy up... never picks up... :angry: I wonder why....

So yeah I did learn from this banshee, always assume that all CL sellers are ass holes and never trust a word they say.

Sorry about your buy but you could buy a new top end off a seller on this cite for 350 and a trans from eBay. Get a manual and ask questions and you'll never need a dealer for repairs.

Besides a monetary loss....its a learning experience...My first shee i bought pipes threw them on and just rode it....2 hours later...locked up crank...500 bones to rebuild it....silly me for not knowing about proper jetting and 2 smokes at the time......the issue with your seller cant gripe too much as you had an oppurtunity to ride and see the bike....I feel you could have held out for a nicer bike for 1800.......but you got what u got and now u need the fix....also inexperience led you to where u are now dont blame the seller 100%.....

Hook up with a site sponsor like wildcard racing..brandon and shay are great! or I hear jeff at FAST is awesome as well....they can get u the parts and we can walk you through the rebuild my man....cheer up it will get better

and to think i cannot sell my VERY nice, well built, 1998, have reciepts for the motor work, +3 a-arms, works triple rate fronts, swingarm with round carrier, super reliable its even got pwk's v-force reeds, cool head, welded crank, hinson basket ,ported cylinders, .20 over bore, powdercoated frame nice all around dependable bike for 3800 ,

i'm told "its just to much in this economy"

yea bullshit. you get what you pay for, i hear ever week (and also work on) a LOT of banshee's that are being soild as junk left over parts for 1800-2500 bucks. oh but they are great deals!

sucks for you.

Sorry about your buy but you could buy a new top end off a seller on this cite for 350 and a trans from eBay. Get a manual and ask questions and you'll never need a dealer for repairs.

true that first day i bought it I ordered the repair manual but after I got so frustrated w/ the head gasket I thought it'd be a good idea to let someone inspect it all.

Besides a monetary loss....its a learning experience...My first shee i bought pipes threw them on and just rode it....2 hours later...locked up crank...500 bones to rebuild it....silly me for not knowing about proper jetting and 2 smokes at the time......the issue with your seller cant gripe too much as you had an oppurtunity to ride and see the bike....I feel you could have held out for a nicer bike for 1800.......but you got what u got and now u need the fix....also inexperience led you to where u are now dont blame the seller 100%.....

Hook up with a site sponsor like wildcard racing..brandon and shay are great! or I hear jeff at FAST is awesome as well....they can get u the parts and we can walk you through the rebuild my man....cheer up it will get better

true that, my inexperience had alot to do w/ it. but yeah I signed up here for that exact reason. I talked to Alf and he hooked me up w/ a set of stock cylinders and pistons for $355 they were a used pair so I'm pretty sure the pistons are still in the cylinders so all i have to do is drop them down and hook up the rods. The tranny how ever I did let them work on and it cost around 300 parts and labor.

it's all water under the bridge now and just gonna take it as a learning experience. Hoping to have it running within the next 2 weeks.

I talked to Alf and he hooked me up w/ a set of stock cylinders and pistons for $355 they were a used pair so I'm pretty sure the pistons are still in the cylinders so all i have to do is drop them down and hook up the rods.

1800 bucks sounds like a project. I wouldnt have even expected it to hold together. If you spent 3-4k and had that happen it would have been a little different story.

Ethire way slapping a used top end on with out measureing them to see if they need bored or not is just asking for trouble. This is why people say banshee's are not reliable. A slapped together banshee will have the reliablity of a slapped together banshee.

1800 bucks sounds like a project. I wouldnt have even expected it to hold together. If you spent 3-4k and had that happen it would have been a little different story.

Ethire way slapping a used top end on with out measureing them to see if they need bored or not is just asking for trouble. This is why people say banshee's are not reliable. A slapped together banshee will have the reliablity of a slapped together banshee.

actually, if those were the same cyls i looked at, they had a fresh hone, mabey bore to them, and came with matching pistons.n honestly, i got my bike for 1k running strong with a few things on it.. still dumped a few k in mostly parts from this site, and keep goin. hasn't majorly let me down yet. i'm sure you will fall for the addiction, so it's best to think about how you're gonna budget now.......

Get a Clymers manual and do it all yourself. Unless you're mechanical as a rubber spoon ,it's easy. It just means that other mods and updates will wait. Have to rely on Carma that he'll get his. You're not alone , might have been a little impatient in buying my son's 'shee, it has issues ,lol. After broken ball joint , mud hole flip ,COMPLETE teardown ,it's finally coming together.

Na the cylinders are clean w/ stock bore and matching set pistons still in. But I get what your saying.

Thanks everyone for the input, I dont feel so bad anymore.

Thats not that bad i bought mine for 3000, 4mill cub. Rode it around the first day i got it. Took it out two weeks later, decide to race some friends on the street for fun, wanted to show what it had so i pinned it threw all the gears, held 6th for less then a second, laterally less then a second, and seized it right up. Needed new piston, domes, sent the cylinder to millennium to get nickeled and fixed, and bigger bowls for the carbs, came to the conclusion that i dried up the bowls and it seized up. I spent close to 800 bucks. I've raced it since held 6th for longer then a second and had no problems.

Year later my fucking crank decides to come apart. Luckily i found the problem before it did some serious damage. Shitty ass welds broke and the crank started to come apart, both sides.

Sucks what happen, feel your pain. Good luck.

damn that sucks, i got lied to about my red banshee being a 4mil, but yet, its just a ported 350. Plus the guys said it needed nothing, so the first ride, the clutch is the first thing to go, so im like no problem, i put a new one in, and no problems, rode it for 2 days straight with no problem after that, sucks to hear about your bad deal tho