18mm DM drag setup

locogato11283

Ok, I will be running my 18mm DM at the LS ride in October. I currently have 14 paddle haulers that I used to run with my 10mm Cub. I ran a +14 with that setup. Any idea what I should run with this setup? I'm gonna keep running the 14 paddle haulers simply because I have them but am debating on swingarm length. I'm gonna have Stellar build me a ladder arm. Any suggestions?

Ok, I will be running my 18mm DM at the LS ride in October. I currently have 14 paddle haulers that I used to run with my 10mm Cub. I ran a +14 with that setup. Any idea what I should run with this setup? I'm gonna keep running the 14 paddle haulers simply because I have them but am debating on swingarm length. I'm gonna have Stellar build me a ladder arm. Any suggestions?

hmm.. lol thats a tuff one.. if it were me.. I'd run the 14 arm and get more tire.. You got plenty of motor.. so if your spinnin the 14's pretty bad.. just throw more gear at it. I'm runnin the big 80+ro 14 stg extrems on 9x11 for our dunes which are kinda wet. At the track I use the 80+ro 16 stg extrems on 9x11. I've never been to LS yet.. So I dont know what the sand is like there compared to here.

I'm sure between all of us down there we'll have paddles you can barrow and see what works. But, my vote is for +14 on the swinger.

i honestly think a 14 swing arm and 14 paddles and something like 16/41 gearing would be a pretty good start....also i run 3.5 psi on my tires no matter where i run....they hook up great and still give you good topend...best of luck and have a blast.......also if youre going to run that big of a motor on a stock chassy than maybe some 12 paddle haulers would be great.

Loco you won't really over tire that thing. With 14 paddle haulers I think you'll only need a 12 over. If you had more tire like extremes or staggereds you can go by the rule 12/12 14/14 16/16 and that's about right. I have 74" 12 paddle extremes and a plus 10 arm and I stand up.

Have Tim build you a cheap swingarm and get some 14 paddle staggereds. Lol

Gonna have a good time.

18mm DM in stock chassis is going to be a handful for sure.

I'd run a 14 over arm and start with the 14 paddles but I think you're going to blow them off the rim, so give it gear, like 16/42 or so. I know you're running straight cuts, but stock ratio?

OK, so it seems that I will be under-paddled.. So I think I'll run the 14 paddles anyway and throw some tall gear at it. Yes Dave, I have straight cuts in stock ratio. I have a ton of gears though and can go as high as 19-34 if I need to. I guess at this point I just need to decide on a +12 or a +14. I ran the +14 on my 10mm cub with these tires and it went pretty good. I'm sure the 18mm is going to pull it much easier with a lot more gear so maybe I had better go with the +14. I kind of wanted to go to a +12 but wouldn't probably be able to keep the front end on the ground.

No question period.....you gotta have a +14. I have a 10 cub and small RO 14 staggered extremes. I sit on the tank and still have to feather the throttle almost every run. You will certainly blow off the 14 haulers, but as mentioned, throw gear at it and you will be good. Short shift it if you have to, obviously plenty of power for that. Once you get to a 10 cub and up, anyone can win. It is hard to put more power to the ground than that w/o a wheely bar. Where you would shine w/the bigger motors in the dunes is on longer runs. I am jealous, wish I could make it down...

Are you gonna be running on sand or dirt? 300ft? If so, I run a +12 with 14 staggard extremes, 78ro 10x10 rim with 16/43 gearing. And it runs pretty damn good. The motor is so powerful, it litterally is trying to rip itself out of the frame. It got so bad that I had to weld a 1/4" thick plate at the bottom of the frame and bolt it directly to the bottom of the motor (vibrates like a bitch but it works.) I also have a strut on the stator side that attaches to the frame, all grade 8 bolts used, anything less and they'll bend off the line, trust me. If I were u, id run a 14 over with some 16 stg extremes, 78 ro 10x10 with 16/44 gearing......imo

Are you gonna be running on sand or dirt? 300ft? If so, I run a +12 with 14 staggard extremes, 78ro 10x10 rim with 16/43 gearing. And it runs pretty damn good. The motor is so powerful, it litterally is trying to rip itself out of the frame. It got so bad that I had to weld a 1/4" thick plate at the bottom of the frame and bolt it directly to the bottom of the motor (vibrates like a bitch but it works.) I also have a strut on the stator side that attaches to the frame, all grade 8 bolts used, anything less and they'll bend off the line, trust me. If I were u, id run a 14 over with some 16 stg extremes, 78 ro 10x10 with 16/44 gearing......imo

Did you not read his OP?

No way in hell I'd run 16 stg extremes in the dunes.. 14 stg in that ro maybe... even that is alot of tire for the power and would probably have trouble keeping the front down on the launch. 12 stg or 14 straight in a 76-78ro would prolly be pretty ideal.

Did you not read his OP?

No way in hell I'd run 16 stg extremes in the dunes.. 14 stg in that ro maybe... even that is alot of tire for the power and would probably have trouble keeping the front down on the launch. 12 stg or 14 straight in a 76-78ro would prolly be pretty ideal.

Yea I read the damn opening post and it says NOTHING about sand dunes smart ass. Thats why I asked before I continued with my opinion. And how would you know what to run, you have nothing that comes even close with the power that thing will make. Im suggesting the 16's because i run the 14's on my 14mil DM and I could actually use more tire, and I know that 18 will make a few more horses & torq than mine, so it would be feasible for him to run those.

Yea I read the damn opening post and it says NOTHING about sand dunes smart ass. Thats why I asked before I continued with my opinion. And how would you know what to run, you have nothing that comes even close with the power that thing will make. Im suggesting the 16's because i run the 14's on my 14mil DM and I could actually use more tire, and I know that 18 will make a few more horses & torq than mine, so it would be feasible for him to run those.

You don't seem very bright dco. Says at LS......Also, Fouled has a 14 DM.....I guess he doesn't know shit :shootself: