New in Texas w/ alot of ?'s

Hi all. My name is Kevin. I am 27 and from Amarillo, Texas. I have been wanting to get a quad for a while and finally came across a 2001 that I bought. I paid 900 for it last Friday. I does need a clutch. I have some questions about some of the things that are done to it. It has cool heads and a boost bottle. It is bored .20 over and has duel fmf fattys. I took it to a local shop today to start the repair process and he told me that it had a spinner clutch. My questions are: basic info of the aftermarket stuff on the bike. How big is the engine now that it is bored? And was the $900 to much knowing the problems. It does start easily but the right cylinder was not firing/ mis-firing. I did not let it idle long. The quad is a bit ugly do to ALOT of stickers but the plastic is in good condition and could be painted easily. That is about all I know at this point. I have a bunch more questions about Banshees in general but will leave it at that for now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

First off, welcome to BansheeHQ. You have come to the right place.

Problems? Just a bad clutch? Easy fix. I'd say you got a very good price on it. One thing you will learn the longer you have your banshee is that they are very easy to work on. Read around the site, ask questions, and get familiar with your bike. Check out the BHQ sponsers for parts and help. They are more than happy to assist you in your needs, along with other members.

I'd start with the new clutch and changing your oil. Grab some new spark plugs and make sure your jetting is correct. Check your air filter to make sure it's not dirty. Check your coolant make sure it's full. Just basic things to start off with. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Lots of smart guys on here (I'm not really one of them). Have fun!

I have been reading since I posted and have found alot out, but the more I read the more I get worried. There is alot of stuff about how un reliable they are. I understand that they are going to require more maintenance than a 4 stroke but I am seeing people say that after an hour of trail riding, it will be toast and nickel and dime me to death. I am sure I will race it a little with buddies but nothing major, mostly just trail and river riding with the occasional "airing out". Most of the quads I see on here seem to be heavily modded. So, after all that. Will a regular old banshee be reliable as long as the basic maintenance is performed? Thanks

you have read some wrong threads about the unriliability of the banshee's. First off welcome to the site. But i would like to say my point about the reliability of the banshee's. This quad is a great quad compared to others, If re-built right the first time, it wont give you problems for a long time. Of course there is a small percentage of people out there that dont built them right, and then they come here complaining about how unriliable these quads are, in which most cases people are wrong. There are people on this forum who's banshee's lasted for even 6 years on the same top end, with out them having to rebuilt the motor, just regular maintainance. I own a banshee as well, and its not my first time owning one, dont get fooled by some of the bad threads that go on about them, just ask around, to see if something is true or not, cause you never know

Edited by ELKARACING_SHEE

like elka said....they can be reliable. And with anything....if you modify the shit out of it....then its chances of breaking down are higher along with the repair bill HAHA. The best thing you can do for yourself is get yourself a clymber or a haynes manual for your banshee.....they will save you ALOT of money as its a 2-stroke....so its rather simple technology to repair yourself. Other than that the banshee is an AMAZING quad that can entertain you for years if your build it right and just do regular amounts of maintenance.

like elka said....they can be reliable. And with anything....if you modify the shit out of it....then its chances of breaking down are higher along with the repair bill HAHA. The best thing you can do for yourself is get yourself a clymber or a haynes manual for your banshee.....they will save you ALOT of money as its a 2-stroke....so its rather simple technology to repair yourself. Other than that the banshee is an AMAZING quad that can entertain you for years if your build it right and just do regular amounts of maintenance.

Veyr Simple machine and very reliable once you have them tuned properly....they will start with one or two kicks and you can ride all day everyday....

Good price on it! Put the clutch in....make sure all is fine with shifting it.....CLean air filter, new plugs, fresh coolant.....good brake pads.....they are fast you wanna be able to stop!

The boost bottle is not liked by many people here...it does not help with performance....you can scratch it if you want and run just the small cross pipe or if it runs good leave the bottle on there....your own preference........

The cool head has interchangable domes inside of it to boost compressions.....i am not an expert with them but its a very popular and reliable mod.....

YOur back fire/sputter on one cylinder can be the result of the carbs being out of sync. They need a proper adjustment and tune...hook up with someone in your area familar with shees or have your shop do it if your unfamiliar.

I dont have the specs in front of me but .20 is a fresh bore and not excessive by any means.....

peel the stickers off, use plastic polish and throw on a graphics kit for pretty cheap and will make u look good!!!

Good luck with it and any questions just keep them coming and search the forums....

If you need parts there are various site sponsors willing to help you out

Go get your bike and do it yourself. Save a lot of money :)

This bike will be very expensive IMO if you don't learn how to work on it.

I second that they are very easy to work on. Don't have to fuck with cams, cam chain, valves anything like that. If you have some wrenching experience then you probably could have done the clutch yourself but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

You got a great deal in my opinion for 900 bucks. I can't find any running banshees in my area for that cheap especially year 2000+.

And for the reliability thing. Just keep up with normal maintenance. Like said before as long as the person putting it together does it right the top end will last. There's a reason these things have been around since 1987 and are still produced over seas.

Shops gotta make a living. We all know people are just gonna say he paid too much :rolleyes:

On the bright side, at least his new banshee will be running like a champ. Thats better than working on a new bike and potentially messing it up. :confused: He can just enjoy it when he gets it back :dance: