CPI or Rocket R2's?

I am going to get a set of CPI's or Rocket R2's for one of my setups. A 421 cub.

I know the CPI will work great, but I am really interested in the R2's. I wish there was more info on them, such as dyno charts, input from people who ran them on bigger motors, etc.

I will be using them for duning, hillclimbing, dragging, etc.

I like the CPI due to the midrange it offers, and the hard hit up top and it's ability to rev. I know they offer what I want. But everybody around me has them.

I just have no info on R2's. I don't think anyone does. Do they perform similar to regular Rockets? What are they designed for? I can't find anything on them other than people that had them on stock jugged bikes.

Do they have midrange similar to a CPI, or are they more like a Shearer pipe?

Would it be smart to wait until there is more info on these pipes?

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

I would stick with the proven performer....CPIs. I'm not saying Rockets aren't any good or they aren't better than CPIs. I'm glad I made the switch from T-5s. Its a totally different bike and I haven't even had a chance to fine tune it yet.

I'm switching the motor over from Trinity pipes. I love the trinity's but I know I can get more power out of this thing by switching to one of the pipes here.

I'm very familar with CPI's. They offer what I want. I like them.

However, everyone runs them around here.

If the R2's run similar to the CPI's, I'd love to get a set.

But the good thing is I know CPI's are prooven as well. No doubt about it. They offer the midrange us climbers like yet rev and offer top that we need. I am just really interested in these R2's for some reason. Just can't find any info on them.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

I have experience with all three pipes.

I had an old 4mm stock cylinder motor that the builder claimed CPI would make the most power. In fact it did not. The Rocket's made more power and torque.

I ran my Rockets on 4mm stock cylinder motor, 4mm cub and my 10mm cub. They performed well on all three.

When Tom first designed the R-2's 4 or 5 years ago he sent me a set to test on my 10mm cub. I ran them back to back with my Rockets.

The R-2's had more top end and just about the same bottom and mid-range. I was pretty impressed with how well they revved out. I was going to buy a set from him but he put the project on hold. Fast forward to now and here they are.

I think all three pipes are good and would probably be fine for your setup. My choices for your setup would be Rockets, R-2's and then CPI. I really believe there is not a ton of difference between the Rockets and R-2's so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have never been a fan of how the CPI look or sound, which I know is petty, but when I found the Rockets made better power on that particular stock cylinder 4mm motor, I didn't hesitate in running them.

That's why I am really hesitating to get CPI's. I ride with 4 other guys with cheetah cylinders. 3 of them have CPI. One has Shearer.

The thing is, CPI offers that midrange. That's what is dragging me to them. Yet they still offer the top end.

Tyler, you ran all them. You are the man I need to get the info from.

Is the midrange difference noticeable on the Rockets compared to the CPI?

I really like the midrange for starting on the hills at the bottoms. An all out drag pipe, all top end, won't do it for me.

If the Rocket's are like Shearer, I will steer towards CPI.

Basically, which one comes on sooner? Rockets or CPI? I'd like on to come on soon yet still rev out. I know CPI does that.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

They will all come on at different times depending on the motor. If you put them on a 421 cub I would say that the Rockets will come on before the CPI.

The mid-range of the Rockets felt stronger to me than the CPI in that old 4mm motor I had. Me and my brother both ran the Rockets for years on our hillclimb bikes.

I would put either the Rockets or the R-2s on your bike before CPI, but that's me. I think you should go for the R-2s. They will be different from anything anyone else has and I don't think you will be disappointed in them at all. They are not a night and day difference from the Rockets. Comparable bottom end and mid-range and a little more on top.

Great info. The fact that they come on sooner or just as soon as CPI might point me towards them. That is what I like to hear.

Is Tom the only place to get them? Directly through him?

How do they mount up? Any trouble with them hitting the frame under the seat or leaking anywhere?

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

I would just contact Tom to get them. I don't remember how they mounted up. Similar to my Rockets if I remember which was pretty easy. I know that my Rockets, which were built by Tom never had any leaks. My brothers old Rockets are still up and running to this day. Never had a broken weld or issue with them. Plus the chrome is still in good shape. I feel pretty confident that Tom is still building quality products.

The silencers are re-packable of course, right? How do they come apart?

I wonder how this will affect jetting... I'll have to play with it and dial it in. I can start a little higher than what my settings are for my Trinity's now and then work her into the groove.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

nothing but cpi's will touch my 421...or any other motor i own after that. not only is it a great pipe but if something goes wrong cpi has great customer service !

cost me $210 to rechrome 2 oof drag pipes, cut 3 1/2 " of the silencer, mount on all factory mounting brackets and fix a bend in the neck of the pipe that i figured would ruin the pipe. that was also including shipping....back not there.