Building my own MX track! help!

Minkia38

I am building my own MX track in my 3 acre woods - yup - right in the middle of it! We are currently removing trees and smoothing out the dirt - once the trails/tracks are all done, we will add dirt for banks, tabletop, doubles, whoops, and maybe a triple

anyways, any advise? we will probably be putting logs under the tabletop since we dont want to move/buy a shit load of dirt

its about 10-20 feet wide at all spots

It'll be hot!

Ray

Nice, im workin on one in our 10 acre field. Make sure the logs are tight under the jumps, you don't want to be going off it and have the logs shift around! When you make jumps or even burms, pack them down real good I drive on it with an electric golf cart(batteries are freakin heavy!) or tractor with smooth tires then wait till it rains or spray it with a hose for a while, then pack it down again let it dry out completely and you have a jump/burm thats practically concrete (will hold those logs in good), it will last a long time.

I'm in the process of building one also, using 5.1 acres and I found alot of scrap culverts...18", 24", 36" and a few big ones(for table top)... They're black plastic, very light and very strong.

I seen a road crew 4-laning a hwy and I stopped and talked to the Super and he was happy to give me all I wanted...He wouldn't even take $$$, what a cool guy!

Hopefully that will save alot of Dirt.

The way it is now it will be about 3/4 of a mile long, 10' wide, two table tops(one will be 60'), one step up, one small woop section, and a butt load of doubles and various jumps coming into and going out of corners...

I'm also gonna try the logs and stumps for some of the track...

Goodluck, Moto

BigmotoXer you got a helluva deal! I sell that shit at work and it ain't cheap...$30+ a foot at cost for the 36", but it'll never rust out like CMP, good stuff.

This leads to another point to consider, if possible build the track above natural ground and make sure to allow water a path around or through (via the culvert) the track. Otherwise you'll get a turd-floater and won't be able to ride for weeks until it dries out. They did that at the local track, trying to cut corners on the dirtwork (which the company I work for did), there's spots that pool up 2' of water after it rains. Luckily we don't get much rain but it sucks to roll up to the track and you can't ride.

Also, old tires (with or without rims) work well to stabilize jumps and reduce the amount of import. And like Deli said, pack them as much as you can, wet and repeat. The jump face is critical, but you can leave the landings relatively loose (they'll pack themselves sooner or later and you may need to disc them).

Call around to local excavation companies, sometimes they will have a job that has excess material and will gladly unload a tandem or belly dump at your track instead of hauling it elsewhere, especially if it's closer for them. Have fun.

How's it going Ben? Haven't talked to you in quit a while...Those are good points...Can you explain what you mean w/the tires? My uncle mentioned that the other day(he has access to about 3,000 used tires)and I told him "YES" I'll need some for parts of the track, but your saying that I can use them for the jumps too? Let me know, I may need to go get 2-3 trailer loads.?.?.?

Later, Moto

Right on Russ, tires are great to have around...

If you can get old tires that are still on rims, they take up alot of space that you wouldn't then have to use the dirt for; say you're building a jump takeoff, just throw some wheels down, cover with dirt, and repeat (the base would have more wheels than the top) until you get close to the desired shape & size. The solid structure of the wheel will keep the dirt from just settling into the ground (just like roots keep riverbanks from eroding).

Anyway, if all you can get is old tires, those will work too, in the same way. You may not save as much dirt but using them within the jump will keep the soil stabilized and you won't have to constantly rebuild the jump.

Tires can also be used as course markers, either buried halfway in the ground for a permanent course marker, or just thrown down on the ground (this is great for directing traffic to a certain track layout if you only want to run on certain jumps).

Hope this helps, have fun track buildin'.

Yup, I knew about using tires for boundary/perimeter, most tracks do but using them for jumps will help alot too, especially on the larger jumps and table-tops instead of using all dirt for the slope I can pyramid the tires and dump the dirt on top(I'm getting excited...Dirt is expensive...I already bought 4 loads of clay, $365...I need about 30 more loads for what I want to do)... Thanks for the idea/info, later, Moto

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My pratice track takes up 15 acres. My buddy came out on an enduro bike a few weeks back. One lap on is bike was equal to 3.5 miles. I have box vans buried, an old boat, my whoop section is 18 55 gallon drums buried 1/4 down. Behind my house is the nut checker...... First jump is a 55 ft table top, but then 35 ft later is a big double, you can leave the face of the table top and land on the back side of the double. We measured it at about 93 ft give or take. Hell my wife scared the shit out of me when she cleared the whole damn thing last weekend. I'm going to try and buy a digital camera and post some pics. I'm still in the past with a 35mm :oops:

If you haven't checked out any local construction projects going on do so. Around here we just track down the dump truck drivers that are moving out dirt from construction jobs. They are more than happy to bring the extra dirt right to you for a six pack or a few bucks. They have to haul the dirt anyway and normally pay to dump it somewhere so it's a deal for both of you.