Key stolen

So Im in the home depot with my wife after coming home from the cottage, and the bike was in the back of the truck. When I got it home I noticed that the key was missing from the ignition. Some piece of shit must have needed it more than me I guess! Luckily, it was stolen in a town other than mine, so I know hes not coming back for the rest of it. Now Im wondering if this is a major issue, or if I can just buy another ignition switch and key, and replace it, or do I have to do more? If anyone has a spare ignition, Id love to buy it from you, let me know!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just eliminate it and put a hidden toggle switch on if you want. Mine is gone completely. Easy to do and not a big deal. I may have another complete unit with key. Ill look but I no i just sold one.

You can get a new key switch and be back in business. Be warned though that there are at least three different plug styles for the key switch depending on year. The last one I bought of Ebay was supposed to be for the year I needed, but when I recieved it, it turns out that somebody had spliced my style plug on a different year switch. When I confronted the seller he said that it came off that year Banshee and he knew nothing more about it. I would recomend just buying a new one for your year bike.

Just eliminate it and put a hidden toggle switch on if you want. Mine is gone completely. Easy to do and not a big deal. I may have another complete unit with key. Ill look but I no i just sold one.

x2. If someone wants it bad enough i don't think its going to matter if the key is there or not.

All you have to do is unplug the key switch and it will start right up. I dont think the person plans on steeling it he or she was just being an asshole. Most likely if someone is going to steel it they probably already know to just unplug the switch. That key just keeps the honest people from fucking with it thats all

Ask yourself this: Did the guy follow you home? Is it possible he has your license plate number?

My 2205 wont start with the key switch disconnected. I had to jump a wire over. I think the earlier bikes are the only ones you could disconnect the key switches on and start em.

Ask yourself this: Did the guy follow you home? Is it possible he has your license plate number?

My 2205 wont start with the key switch disconnected. I had to jump a wire over. I think the earlier bikes are the only ones you could disconnect the key switches on and start em.

Even the early bikes had to have a jumper wire installed. If you study any Banshee wiring diagram it shows the 2 wires going to the key as being connected when the key is on.

It is possible that the key blew out if it was left in the off position while hauling the bike. I made a non stop trip once and when I arrived home, I found the key laying on the back of the trailer next to the tailgate/ramp. I did have a key fob on it so now when I haul the bikes, I leave the key switches in the run position. I tried taking the keys out when I haul them, but after arriving at tne ride spot 1 time and finding that I left the key at home, I now leave them in the bike and leave the switch on.

Yea your right I was looking at mine I had the 2 wires connected that use to go to the switch and its starts. Sorry my bad

so cut the wires going to the existing key switch, and heat tube them together and it will be OK?

If I were doing it that way I would solder them first and use epoxy filled heat shrink tubing. Actually, if it were me I would just eliminate the key altogether. For all of the reasons stated. Ignition trouble, lack of theft prevention. I can't think of one pro, only cons.

SP