Polising Intake & Exhaust ports. Is it worth it?

The shop that bored and honed my stock cylinders said that I should polish the intake, exhaust on the cylinders and have the stock head shaved .040 and polish the domes. I think that shaving the head will increase the compression roughly 30-35 psi. Will polishing the ports and the domes be worth the hassle without any porting?

Running wiseco forged pistone .020 over

Toomey T6 pipes

K&N filter (no lid)

Stock carbs (jetted for the pipes and filter)

Edited by forrest411

Polishing the intake will hurt performance,the air and fuel will not atomize properly with a polished intake.On the exhaust side it can help stop carbon build up,If you go through all that trouble just get them ported and get rid of those T-6s.imo.

Make sure the shop champhered (beveled) the ports so rings don't snag. Polishing exhaust will help keep carbon from building up. Intake only needs to be smooth, mirror polish does nothing. Don't shave head more than .030 ,squish will be to tight. No knowledge on polishing domes. Make sure you gap rings.

Make sure they chamfered the ports, not only to prevent ring snagging, but more so, to help the oil not being "scraped" off the rings and piston skirts. You no what no oil will do to wear on moving metal components.

Don't polish the intake at all and you only need to sand the exh port w/120 to 180 grit sanding drums and cartridge rolls, to make the surface smooth enough, for carbon to not buildup and stick anymore.

Make sure they chamfered the ports, not only to prevent ring snagging, but more so, to help the oil not being "scraped" off the rings and piston skirts. You no what no oil will do to wear on moving metal components.

Don't polish the intake at all and you only need to sand the exh port w/120 to 180 grit sanding drums and cartridge rolls, to make the surface smooth enough, for carbon to not buildup and stick anymore.

He said that he chamfered the ports. How can you tell for sure?

i have seen polished ports have as much if not more carbon build up at times. smooth exhaust pipes will have a lof of build up internally i still polish them at times for customers but its mostly just for the ( WOW ) effect.. a large amount of build up is from wayy to much oil crappy oil or bean oils. also happens from just to rich jetting, or a low rpm motor if the exhaust gets hot enough it wont have much carbon buildup. i have had better luck with trail motors with non polished exhaust's. just about as rough as the intake, and transfer area's/

of course i am expecting to hear "oh that dosent work at all. all my cylinders are polished"..

Its just what i have seen on my own motors over about 5-6 years and a couple of rebuilds.

Edited by camatv