To Cool head or not to cool head?!?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys...

Compression ratio, not cranking compression dictate the need for race fuel or higher octane fuels....

And I've cc'd stock heads anywhere from 22 to 24ccs...no BS.

so what your saying by just using a good compression tester and kicking her til shee stops will not give me a reading on whether or not to run race gas?

Just FYI I'm reading this thread, going to do a rebuild soon and would like to know my "head" options :)

The use of O-rings sure sounds good, since you can take off, inspect, put back together with same O-ring (keep in mind you haven't burned the O-ring by overheating)

Kinda off topic: I use ADA racing on my Kawi 150's (jetskis) and I love them!

Just FYI I'm reading this thread, going to do a rebuild soon and would like to know my "head" options :)

The use of O-rings sure sounds good, since you can take off, inspect, put back together with same O-ring (keep in mind you haven't burned the O-ring by overheating)

Kinda off topic: I use ADA racing on my Kawi 150's (jetskis) and I love them!

well the only real advantage to a coolhead is the interchangability of the domes,,,if you will be wanting to raise and lower your compression,,,your lookin at $300,,,,,shave your stock head and im borderline race gas at 160 psi for like $40,,depends on what your gonna do with it,,,oh ya,,,coolhead also gives the bling look,,,but stock shaved is the sleeper look,,,,lol

Uhm, I'm not sure

Let's see

Stock squish is around .068" using stock gaskets, .080" with a moose head gasket.

You shave off .025" to safely run premium, typically, which puts your squish at around .043"

Another .010" would put yout squish at around .033", which is about the limit.

You could probably get abay with 50/50 race gas/ premium unleaded at this stage.

If you plan on running race gas or alky, you should get the head re-chambered. Mull engineering does it for a good price.

Pump gas or 50/50, a stock shaved head should work.It is always recommended to check your squish first and your compression after.

.025" is definately be safe for pump gas though, unless you run no head gasket.

I just wanted to add to this that if your engine is ported, than you can shave a little more off the head to get the same compression as stock, to what extent is determined by the level of porting that is done. For instance a drag ported cylinder with the head cut .035" which is pretty much the max will likely be ok to run with pump gas, due to the fact that when the exhaust port is raised the piston does not begin compressing the mixture until later in the stroke; it decreases the amount of trapped volume.

Even with a dune ported cylinder, you could probably shave .035" off and get away with pump gas, if the squish clearance will allow.

Again always measure squish before cutting and compression after.

Edited by SLORYDER

That's an on the border call.

A few things I see wrong with that.

You could have a bike with 160 PSI because of a high exhaust port but the UCCR could be 14 or 15:1 depending on the cut of the head.

Pump gas won't last long in that motor...

Regardless of the cranking compression...which as you said will vary based on port timing, fuel is rated for compression ratio.

And...not to mention, if I had a drag port cylinder the last thing I'd do is run pump gas...

I just wanted to add to this that if your engine is ported, than you can shave a little more off the head to get the same compression as stock, to what extent is determined by the level of porting that is done. For instance a drag ported cylinder with the head cut .035" which is pretty much the max will likely be ok to run with pump gas, due to the fact that when the exhaust port is raised the piston does not begin compressing the mixture until later in the stroke; it decreases the amount of trapped volume.

Even with a dune ported cylinder, you could probably shave .035" off and get away with pump gas, if the squish clearance will allow.

Again always measure squish before cutting and compression after.

That's an on the border call.

A few things I see wrong with that.

You could have a bike with 160 PSI because of a high exhaust port but the UCCR could be 14 or 15:1 depending on the cut of the head.

Pump gas won't last long in that motor...

Regardless of the cranking compression...which as you said will vary based on port timing, fuel is rated for compression ratio.

And...not to mention, if I had a drag port cylinder the last thing I'd do is run pump gas...

On a stock head?

I put it the way I did just to get the point across that there are more factors involded with this than compression vs. cut

If you are sticking with a stock head and are running a drag port, the best bet will be to get it machined by someone like Blowit (mull engineering)if you are after every last hp.

And I'm sure that 98.634% of the people looking to mill their stock head will not be building an all out drag engine, so it is pretty much irrelevent anyways.

Exactly what factors influence UCCR? Do you have a formula to determine it?

Edited by SLORYDER

Several factors influence UCCR...most people don't take the time to measure things up.

Just the first calculator I found.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

I've seen plenty of people run stock heads on all out drag cub motors and stock cylinder.

Before there were cool heads and aftermarket heads available, you had someone cut, rechamber and Oring a stocker...it's all you had.

I had a cut stocker on my 10 mil, I like the chariot better.

I've seen some of Mull's work and Brandon and I pass ideas back and forth from time to time...I'm certain he does fine work.

Several factors influence UCCR...most people don't take the time to measure things up.

Just the first calculator I found.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

I've seen plenty of people run stock heads on all out drag cub motors and stock cylinder.

Before there were cool heads and aftermarket heads available, you had someone cut, rechamber and Oring a stocker...it's all you had.

I had a cut stocker on my 10 mil, I like the chariot better.

I've seen some of Mull's work and Brandon and I pass ideas back and forth from time to time...I'm certain he does fine work.

So is the trapped volume a factor or the entire volume above BDC?

Also at higher rpms when the pipe is returning the pressure wave its amplitude will affect the final compression inside the combustion chamber, correct?

Edited by SLORYDER

So is the trapped volume a factor or the entire volume above BDC?

Also at higher rpms when the pipe is returning the pressure wave its amplitude will affect the final compression inside the combustion chamber, correct?

This is a great conversation right here....going way beyond "head" talk.

I gotta get on the road in a little bit for work, but I'll try to clarify some of this later today if someone doesn't beat me to it first....although I understand it's workings in my head and in practice, I want to be careful how I word it so it's accurate yet understandable...

From the outside looking in, it might look like sloryder and I are bantering a bit. Quite the contrary....putting this stuff in the open and discussing it is the best way to learn and think....

This is a great conversation right here....going way beyond "head" talk.

I gotta get on the road in a little bit for work, but I'll try to clarify some of this later today if someone doesn't beat me to it first....although I understand it's workings in my head and in practice, I want to be careful how I word it so it's accurate yet understandable...

From the outside looking in, it might look like sloryder and I are bantering a bit. Quite the contrary....putting this stuff in the open and discussing it is the best way to learn and think....

Upon further thought, what Daj is saying makes sense.

Although you lift the E port 2mm say, its relation to the entire trapped volume is likely small in relation to the .010" you take off the head and its associated reduction of the compressed volume at TDC.

So, to be safe

.025"=Pump gas

.030"=50/50 race fuel, pump gas

.035"(squish allowing) race fuel

Methanol=Re-chambering

This should be a safe medium timing and other things considered.

Edited by SLORYDER