headlights stoped working?

ok guys i have an 01 shee, lights were working fine right before winter hit now they wont turn on at all. anyone got any idea what it could be. both bulbs are still fine and its not the stator because the thing runs like a beast. thanks guys of any help you can give me!

I don't have a break light as I bought it without one.

You should see if you can locate the wire for the rear light, that may be causing a short or something. Just do a voltage test if you have one, then i would follow the wires on the headlights and tail lights to see if there cracked broken or causing a short of some sort.

ok guys i have an 01 shee, lights were working fine right before winter hit now they wont turn on at all. anyone got any idea what it could be. both bulbs are still fine and its not the stator because the thing runs like a beast. thanks guys of any help you can give me!

It could still be the stator,you have an ignition windings and lighting windings on the stator.It also could be your voltage regulator,or wiring, the switch.Do you have voltage to the yellow or green wires?Check your grounds also.

yeah someone said i should pull the gas tank off and check the wires but i really dont wanna have to do that. anyone know which wire it is for the break light?

01s DO NOT HAVE A BRAKELIGHT, they have a taillight only.It should be a blue wire for the taillight. Check the voltage ot the voltage regulator- if it is more than 16V then your regulator has gone shithouse and the lightbulbs are burnt out. If the voltage is below 16V, then check the yellow suuply wire to the switch, if it is good then check the yellow and the green wires coning out of the switch. As mentioned, there are seperate ignition and lighting circuits in the stator, so your lighting circuit could be bad and the bike will still run.

Really I didn't know the 01 didn't have a break light. Thanks guys I will check the voltage tomorrow. I'm hoping to get these things working b4 I go up north for memorial weekend.

If your bike is suposed to have a tail light...and you didn't know that...maybe the cut wires grounded to the frame and now you know why your lights aren't working.... :unsure: Or......you might be traveling at the speed of light. :lol:

checked the voltage to the lights and theres nothing. checked the voltage to the taillight wire and it went to 26 and then back down and to other things like 9 volts and 7. so idk what else to do, guess its a broken wire.

checked the voltage to the lights and theres nothing. checked the voltage to the taillight wire and it went to 26 and then back down and to other things like 9 volts and 7. so idk what else to do, guess its a broken wire.

26?it will never have 26,the stator shouldnt put out over 12 volts.check the wires at the stator by ur rear master cyl where the plug is that goes to ur cdi,reg,etc.should be a black and yellow one.start the bike,turn on the light switch and probe the yellow with test light.make sure you have power from stator first,if u dont,thats the problem,if u do check grounds and cut wires.

Edited by volcrano

which wires can you cut out? i did notice that after messing with all the wires underneath when i turned the switch on it lit up dull for a sec and then went back out and now it hasnt came back on. this shits pissing me off i want my lights to work.

26?it will never have 26,the stator shouldnt put out over 12 volts.check the wires at the stator by ur rear master cyl where the plug is that goes to ur cdi,reg,etc.should be a black and yellow one.start the bike,turn on the light switch and probe the yellow with test light.make sure you have power from stator first,if u dont,thats the problem,if u do check grounds and cut wires.

If you have 26V, it sounds like your regulator is bad and therefore the bulbs are blown. The stator will put out an unlimited amount of voltage, it is the regulator's job to shunt the excess voltage and make sure that the lights don't see more than 12V nominal voltage. Since your voltage is jumping all over the place, it sounds like maybe the voltage regulator is only working part time, I would make sure that the voltage regulator has a good ground. If the ground is good, try a different regulator. You could borrow one from a friend as there is only one part number for all years of US Banshees. Install it and see if it runs at a steady voltage that is less than16V. If it does that is the problem and you need a new reg. and new light bulbs. Get a genuine Yamaha regulator and I would try the new bulbs that Rocky Mt. ATV has, they put out a much brighter(whiter) light and they are only $10 apiece instead of the more expensive Yamaha bulbs.

Edited by bansheesandrider

Ok guys well I checked the yellow and black wires comming from the stator and got nothing. Sounds like the stator went bad. Are they exspensive to replace? Id be doing the labor my self.