This is a must read topic on buying parts

I picked this board because if your buying parts you should know about this company. 99 out of 100 companies will work with you when they make a mistake and I found the one that wont. INLAND ATV

I needed a 4 mm thick cylinder spacer for a motor build not the 2 mm spacer that is used for the 4 mm crank upgrade. I found a listing on ebay that said 4 mm spacer for a banshee. Inland ATV was offering this item and in the listing they had the phone number to call for questions. I called and asked the person if the spacer was the 2mm or was the actual thickness 4mm. He said that the spacer was 4mm thick and it would work for the aplication I was looking for. I bought it and they sent it right away, in 3 days which was great. While I was at work, I had the spacer port matched to the cases so when I got to my shop I could finish putting the motor together. When I got there, I could see right off the bat it was a 2 mm spacer. I called Inland ATV and let them know the deal and explained that it had already been port matched and asked them what they could do for me. The guy I was talking with did some checking and said they would recommend using 2 of the I think he said .5 gaskets which would make up the other 2 mm. I didn't really want to go the route but thought I can change it later if needed. He said that the gaskets were normaly $30 and he would sell them to me for $20 a piece and add shipping. Wrong answer! I asked him to send the gaskets at no charge to make up for thier mistake and he said he would check to see what they could do and call me back. That didn't happen. I called back the next day and he said the owner wouldn't do anything but sell them for the $40 plus shipping. So if I did that, I would have $85 bucks in a $40 spacer that wasn't the right way to begin with.

After some conversation and luck in making them see my point, I told him I was going to let the people on HQ know about how they wouldn't stand behind someone giving a customer the wrong info. He said "if you wouldn't have distroyed it we would have taken it back and if I was such a big engine builder I would have checked before hand" . He also said it was elementary of me if I posted anything about this. I aslo asked to talk to the owner and he said he didn't want to talk to me and make sure I posted that I distroyed the part so it couldn't be returned. We all know it was ported at this point.

I'm sure you all know how much we spend to go fast and we don't need people trying to get more $$$$ from us when they make the mistake. It's not really a matter of money, it's the way they treated me. They may post something in responce, but this is what happened to the tee.

Choose your vendors carefully, this could have been a $1000 mistake just as easy. Thanks for reading.

well im sorry to say but i agree with them, you should have checked it out before having it ported. i bought rims and tires from them for my ds 650 they came in quickly but one tire had a chunk of the sidewall missing that wasnt in the listing i called them and they refunded my shipping wich was 65 bucks. the tires still hold air fine but i wanted to see what they would do for me since they listed them as almost new perfect condition. sorry to have to disagree with a hq member but it is what it is :shrugani:

Sorry to say but couldnt you tell that it was only 2mm not 4mm before porting. Sounds like your mistake not theirs.

I can respect that. I didn't port it, I was at work when it showed up. Had I not called them to verify that it was the right one and them confirming that it was, I would agree. People need to start hold others accountable for thier actions and what they tell and sell people.

It's not about the $40, it's about them telling me one thing and selling another. Don't miss the point, they told me it was what I needed and they were wrong and wouldn't take responsibility for it. Not even an I'm sorry we'll make it right since we told you wrong.

Sounds like Inland is wrong, plain and simple. I've never installed a 2 or a 4 millimeter thick plate, much less held one in my hand. If I ordered a 4, I expect a 4, and it is not my responsibility to recognize it or mic it when it gets here. If I order 13.5 - 1 pistons for a motor and I receive 12.0-1 pistons, is that my fault? Hell no. It sucks for them that the spacer was port matched and is now a paperweight, but they need to accept the return. That's just the cost of doing business and making a mistake.

Keep on keepin on man....post this EVERYWHERE

Sounds like Inland is wrong, plain and simple. I've never installed a 2 or a 4 millimeter thick plate, much less held one in my hand. If I ordered a 4, I expect a 4, and it is not my responsibility to recognize it or mic it when it gets here. If I order 13.5 - 1 pistons for a motor and I receive 12.0-1 pistons, is that my fault? Hell no. It sucks for them that the spacer was port matched and is now a paperweight, but they need to accept the return. That's just the cost of doing business and making a mistake.

Keep on keepin on man....post this EVERYWHERE

There is a huge and very easy to see difference from 2mm vs 4mm. Prior to cutting on it, someone should have checked it. I am a quality manager at my work and deal with this type of issue on a daily basis. If a company sends my company something out of spec they'll replace it. However, if we modify it in any way then they will no longer replace it. I think Inland was in the wrong with their customer service, but ultimately once that plate was ground on it was of no use to Inland. There was a lack of communication that led to the plate getting port matched which I don't see as Inland's fault.

There is a huge and very easy to see difference from 2mm vs 4mm. Prior to cutting on it, someone should have checked it. I am a quality manager at my work and deal with this type of issue on a daily basis. If a company sends my company something out of spec they'll replace it. However, if we modify it in any way then they will no longer replace it. I think Inland was in the wrong with their customer service, but ultimately once that plate was ground on it was of no use to Inland. There was a lack of communication that led to the plate getting port matched which I don't see as Inland's fault.

ss14psi, thank you for agreeing with the basic concept of customer service. I'm sick of people being unaccountable for thier companies mistakes.

Jason, I agree with you also in the respects of customer service. I never asks them to take it back after porting, I asked them to do something for me ie; send the thicker gaskets to me at thier expence since they dropped the ball. I wish FAST or one of our other guys would have had it in stock, but they didn't. I tried that route first and this would have been an non issue.

My grandfathers theory on communicating "if you don't know what your talking about for sure don't say it and you won't look stupid. If you don't know what your talking about and still say it, everyone will know your stupid"

i say inland is in the wrong. if the guy orders a 4mm spacer, thats what he should get. as for not inspecting it, he couldve just dropped it off at the shop and said port it without looking at it. i understand the need to check parts, but when something as simple as a 4mm plate instead of 2mm plate was supposed to be sent, one might be a little lax on checking. the guy even called them to make sure.

I have to put in my 2 cents,first because INLAND ATV IS IN THE WRONG and so is Jasonsbanshee.

First off they advertised a 4mm plate,he even called to verify it and they said it was 4mm.

Now when he gets it and calls them about it,they convince him he can use 2? ..WTF is wrong with you people.Its the old bait and switch!

Not only did they sell you the wrong plate,but they convinced you to accept the fact that you had to use 2 plates.

As for Jasonsbanshee,i too worked as a quality assurance manager,so i am familiar with what goes on.I cannot tell you how many times we shipped stuff that was out of spec because we did not have enough to fill orders.This is standard practice in the manufacturing industry,but it should not be TOLERATED..period!

The quality motto is "let it fly" and if it comes back at us,we will deal with it then.I never personally made the choice,i just followed the bosses orders.I have worked as a quality manager for many different companies and the mentality was the same everywhere.

Don't reward shitty businesses ,it corrupts the free market

If you ask any business owner,time=money...so why the phuck are they wasting customers time with the wrong parts?..because once they get paid,they don't give a phuck,just look what happened to Loco,its no different.

What gives this company or any company the right to waste our (customers) phucking time?

If you ask any business owner,time=money...so why the phuck are they wasting customers time with the wrong parts?..because once they get paid,they don't give a phuck,just look what happened to Loco,its no different.

What gives this company or any company the right to waste our (customers) phucking time?

Here here!!!!!! Big bore hit the nail on the head. Nothing left to say about this. It's just like when 13razor13 was screwing people on here. I got my money back and some by going through the right channels. This is a hobby of mine and I would rather spend $$$ on my own money pits than to get F'@&/d out of it.

Another vote for inland being in the wrong. He ordered a 4mm plate he should have recieved one. Granted i would have checked myself but his conditions were probably different. You should recieve wht you order and pay for. And the dude called to verify. horrible customer service in my eyes.

I agree the company has bad customer service, they should have worked something out.

Now the but. The purchaser should always check what they have recieved before they modify it to make sure it is exactly what they ordered 2mm = .078 4mm=.157 you don't even need a mic or caliper to see it was wrong.

Most of the people answering the phones and pulling parts at these places do not have a clue what they are doing they are just using part numbers.

All of us make mistakes. It is how you handle yourself after the mistake is what matters. banghead.gif

Just my 2$

I guess where I'm at is there were two wrongs. The wrong item was shipped and the buyer had the wrong part machined prior to inspecting it. I was also under the impression that the buyer wanted to return the part for the 4mm part. I do believe the company should have made it right by offering thicker gaskets if that would have made the buyer happy. I can't say the blame is 100% either way because it's really not.

Also, keep in mind with situations like this there is always three sides to the story. That is the buyer's side, the seller's side and the truth.

Inland is wrong. And for $40, they should not have lost a customer like that. They got it wrong, plain and simple. There are so many things that can happen to a part once it hits a customer's hand. This time, maybe it was an "obvious to see" spacer, but as others have pointed out, it could just have easily been the wrong sized pistons, etc. They're wrong. They should have jsut sent him the right spacer, and saved the old one as a "check your orders!" reminder...

I have my own experience with them on a carb that was supposed to be something and it turned out to be something else. But that was more gray. "Condition" is always arguable, I suppose. Still, I'd rather go with someone that will stand behind their stuff. Wildcard Racing, Alfie,etc... Just my .02