average/rough cost for complete engine rebuild(top & bottom end)

Hey all, I'm just curious as to the rough estimate to rebuild a banshee engine top and bottom end........high, mid, low range of prices. Just a rough idea is all i'm looking for. Thanks

well if you ever wanted to throw a 4mil in you could get that kit running about 6-8 hundred... that includes the crank, pistions gaskets the whle mess... but if your looking for cylinders and all it'l be more

well if you ever wanted to throw a 4mil in you could get that kit running about 6-8 hundred... that includes the crank, pistions gaskets the whle mess... but if your looking for cylinders and all it'l be more

Thanks dude. I'm wondering cause I'm debating picking up a banshee with a blown engine, so I'm just planning on having to replace everything(obviously the less I HAVE to replace, the cheaper/better it'll be lol). Do you think it'd be easier/cheaper just to pick up a used, complete/running engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks dude. I'm wondering cause I'm debating picking up a banshee with a blown engine, so I'm just planning on having to replace everything(obviously the less I HAVE to replace, the cheaper/better it'll be lol). Do you think it'd be easier/cheaper just to pick up a used, complete/running engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Do you want to just rebuild it so it is a reliable stock type motor, or do you want a fire breathing take all comers motor? The bad thing about buying a used motor is that you are getting all their problems and you don't know if it was taken care of or how it was taken care of. If you rebuild what you have and do it correctly, you will know what you have and if it is going to be reliable. When you rebuild you will need to make sure thatthe following parts are good- crank ($350-$400 rebuilt and trued and welded), topend($150-$200 for pistons + $100 for bore job), clutch basket($100-$250 for a billet), kick idler gear bushing($20 from FAST), shift shaft, and then if you want to replace all the Bearings(recomended), seals and gaskets about $300 more. What ever you do, don't cheap out and use parts that are wore out or inferior quality. Remember, you get what you pay for and you want a reliable bike that will not give you problems every time you turn around. Another thing to think about is you Banshee can travel farther in 30 minutes than you can walk all day, do you want it breaking down?

The 800 dollar 4 mil kit is misleading, you still need to get it ported to run good, you will need the correct pipes and carbs for it to run at it's full potential. And there will be several other things you need to make it reliable.

Do you want to just rebuild it so it is a reliable stock type motor, or do you want a fire breathing take all comers motor? The bad thing about buying a used motor is that you are getting all their problems and you don't know if it was taken care of or how it was taken care of. If you rebuild what you have and do it correctly, you will know what you have and if it is going to be reliable. When you rebuild you will need to make sure thatthe following parts are good- crank ($350-$400 rebuilt and trued and welded), topend($150-$200 for pistons + $100 for bore job), clutch basket($100-$250 for a billet), kick idler gear bushing($20 from FAST), shift shaft, and then if you want to replace all the Bearings(recomended), seals and gaskets about $300 more. What ever you do, don't cheap out and use parts that are wore out or inferior quality. Remember, you get what you pay for and you want a reliable bike that will not give you problems every time you turn around. Another thing to think about is you Banshee can travel farther in 30 minutes than you can walk all day, do you want it breaking down?

Perfect! That's the kind of answer I was looking for(not that the other answer was bad, just this one is VERY detailed). Thanks sandrider! I would be definitely replacing/rebuilding all the parts you mentioned. Rough cost of about $1200. Definitely worth the cash! Thanks for the helpful info!

If you shop right, and arent in a hurry, you can save some dollars shopping on ebay. I rebuilt my motor over the past 2 months using some used stuff, and new as well. I did it for less than $1000, and got a vitos crank, new ported cylinders, vitos cool head and a few other trick items as well as the crank seals bearings and gaskets.

If you shop right, and arent in a hurry, you can save some dollars shopping on ebay. I rebuilt my motor over the past 2 months using some used stuff, and new as well. I did it for less than $1000, and got a vitos crank, new ported cylinders, vitos cool head and a few other trick items as well as the crank seals bearings and gaskets.

Thanks crisis, I'll keep that in mind.

Perfect! That's the kind of answer I was looking for(not that the other answer was bad, just this one is VERY detailed). Thanks sandrider! I would be definitely replacing/rebuilding all the parts you mentioned. Rough cost of about $1200. Definitely worth the cash! Thanks for the helpful info!

If you look good you can get a good running one for 1500

not sure about engine rebuild cost but in midwest you can find running banshee's for $750-$1250 in the mid to late 90's if your patient. But when you see a good deal you have to jump on it.

I see them cheap in detroit craigslist all the time cause the economy is so bad there and people need cash

good luck with the search

ill sell ya motor complete for 1500 so i can build a bigger one, basicly stock .040 over and a new crank at the begining of this year, new vitos pistons and cylinders about 2 months ago

some may disagree or agree but i would say take 2500 put it on the side and hope there is $ leftover. you will need new shifting components,true and weld crank with new berrings, bore and hone cylinders considering there not .60 0r .80 over. cause if they are that far gone sell and get a fresh set so you have good amount of life left in the motor. you can go broke trying to save money on these motors trust me .

Edited by SD1026
  • Like 1