Grips Won't Stay

i usually clean the bars off with brake cleaner and then spray a little inside the grip. slide it on right away and work any air out. this doesnt work with the crappy gel grips like the tag grips. it worked great on the sunlines on my quad and pro tapers on my bike.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 3M weatherstripping cement. put a coat on the bars and put a little bit inside the grips. As it starts to tack up, put just a little bit of straight gas, no premix oil in it, and slide the grips on a position them where you want them. Let them sit at least a day, preferably 2, and you should be good to go. You could probably also use paint thinner or acetone instead of gas, but I read about this method when I was a kid riding dirt bikes from Dirt Bike magazine and have been doing it this way for over 30 years.

Take a can of cheap ass spray paint, give a little shot of it down in the grip so it lightly coats the inside of it - (this is two fold it will lube it a bit to get it down on the bar & then dry so the grip wont move) - now put the grip on and go get a beer, once the paint dries she's done.

I discovered this one night after several cold ones with the boys in the garage, it worked great and have been doing it for the past 3 race seasons. All of our race bikes (Yamaha & KTM) have ProTaper bars and we're sponsored by Progrip so - yeah, tend to use their grips. - not sure about other brands of bars & grips with this method but its on point and never had any issues with them slipping on our racers.

Few tips on this method;

- Now don't be pissin' around sniffin the shit and let it dry up, all it takes is a quick shot - jam your finger in the grip run it around the inside once to ensure an even coat and get it on with a quickness.

-Don't get all excited you learned a cool new trick and load the damn grip up so bad it's dripping and you have shit running all over your hand like a window licker with an ice cream cone in July.

-Hold the spray tip right at the hole of the grip, don't be thinking your some sort of professional painter halfway through a case of BudLight and try to hold the rattle can 12inches away from the grip. Remember guys like Chip Foose paint for a living - you have a 99cent can of rustoleum & just wanna ride your Banshee.

-Go clean your nasty ass colored finger off with some of that orange shop soap before you pick your nose and think that hottie is staring at you cause your a chic magnet with badass grips on your quad. - NO, she's wondering why you have flat black primer war paint on your face.....

Take a can of cheap ass spray paint, give a little shot of it down in the grip so it lightly coats the inside of it - (this is two fold it will lube it a bit to get it down on the bar & then dry so the grip wont move) - now put the grip on and go get a beer, once the paint dries she's done.

I discovered this one night after several cold ones with the boys in the garage, it worked great and have been doing it for the past 3 race seasons. All of our race bikes (Yamaha & KTM) have ProTaper bars and we're sponsored by Progrip so - yeah, tend to use their grips. - not sure about other brands of bars & grips with this method but its on point and never had any issues with them slipping on our racers.

Few tips on this method;

- Now don't be pissin' around sniffin the shit and let it dry up, all it takes is a quick shot - jam your finger in the grip run it around the inside once to ensure an even coat and get it on with a quickness.

-Don't get all excited you learned a cool new trick and load the damn grip up so bad it's dripping and you have shit running all over your hand like a window licker with an ice cream cone in July.

-Hold the spray tip right at the hole of the grip, don't be thinking your some sort of professional painter halfway through a case of BudLight and try to hold the rattle can 12inches away from the grip. Remember guys like Chip Foose paint for a living - you have a 99cent can of rustoleum & just wanna ride your Banshee.

-Go clean your nasty ass colored finger off with some of that orange shop soap before you pick your nose and think that hottie is staring at you cause your a chic magnet with badass grips on your quad. - NO, she's wondering why you have flat black primer war paint on your face.....

:rotflmao:

Few tips on this method;

You def discover this one on accident lmao.

Few tips on this method;

You def discovered this one on accident lmao.

Few tips on this method;

You def discovered this one on accident lmao.

I've been using the same method for a while just wrapped the bar with electrical tape. Then just fill your grip up with gasoline and just before you put it on the bars sling out the gasoline so that it has a little coat of gas on the inside. After about 15min you won't be able to pull the grip off for anything. Trust me on this one!

I have no problem with Scott Grip glue. My Oury grips with Scot grip glue stays on fine. Just make sure your bars are clean. Smear the grip glue on the bar. Then work the grip on the bar. You dont want to just slide it on because that just wipes all the glue off. You need to at least streatch the grip working it back and fourth.

Then use 4 zip ties as clamps to hold the grip on tight unitl the glue dries.

I've tried several grips and have found that these are second to none. They lock on to your bars to eliminate the problem your having. They are big, cushy and have excellent grip. They cost a little more than regular grips, but there is a reason for that. Also, for anyone who decides to try these out, order the 120mm version. The 130mm grips are a tad bit long. http://www.rockymoun...dFamilyId=22479