520 chain half link

I'm wondering if any one here ever uses a "half Link" on there setup? My chain slack is right between the sweet spots, not loose enough to remove a whole link and too loose to leave it where it is now. I'm using a DID 520. Thanks

I would recommend making mods to your adjuster system if possible. Half links severely reduce the capacity of a chain. Certainly is the "weak link" just by design.

B

Sounds good, thanks for the replies. I'll have to change my gearing setup to get it right. I'm running 15/40. Even with a brand new chain I can't quite get the sweet spot. I might try going to 16/42 and see what that does for me. When I go to St. Anthony I run 13/42 and can get the tension just perfect with another shorter chain.

Sounds good, thanks for the replies. I'll have to change my gearing setup to get it right. I'm running 15/40. Even with a brand new chain I can't quite get the sweet spot. I might try going to 16/42 and see what that does for me. When I go to St. Anthony I run 13/42 and can get the tension just perfect with another shorter chain.

Are you saying you cant rev it out? because going from from a 15/40 to a 16/42 will reduce low end and increase top speed or is that what you are trying to do?

I have a complete Laegers Pro-Trax rolling chassis. Nearly identical setup to what Duncan was winning the PDV races with except I went with Duncans 403 Eliminator motor instead of the 350 National motor. One of these days I will post up some pics.

I primarily ride motocross, and occasionaly at St. Anthony.

The swingarm is stock length rounds house style setup to use an LT500 rear TEAM rear axle and the rear brake caliper from a Yamaha FJ1200 street bike. The 15/40 has worked very nicely for me with my riding style. There is still a ton of top end left in it at WOT in 6th. This gives me a topspeed of 80 mph according to my GPS. I have wanted to keep it somewhat low geared for the way I ride most of the time. I figure that by going to 16/42 which is what I have on hand, that will be the closest option I can come up with.

For what ever reason with the 15/40 gearing I cannot get the chain tension "just right" I end up having to run the chain pretty loose. Then when I corner real hard the chain starts to chatter on the rear sprocket. So far I haven't be able to get the chain to stretch enough to remove a full link, even with my bearing carrier rolled to the loosest setting. It must have something to do with the relationship of the motor in the chassis and the swingarm pivot.

Thanks Loco....but did you read my last post? I have a complete Laeger's rolling chassis....this includes the stock length swinger with round house style carrier. It runs an LT500 axle. The only thing stock on my bike is the plastic, gas tank, and wiring harness, everything else is Laeger's, Duncan, aftermarket or hand made. I'll try the gearing change and see what happens.

I've never posted any pictures on hear. give me a little input on how to post pics and I'll try to get them up soon.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I use half links all the time, since the early 90s The problem is they are not available for oring chains. You can only get them for non oring chain. I have a Laegers frame banshee and a 93 stock frame. I have half links in both. I think its the gearing you are running. I ran 15 / 40 for years and ran into the adjustment issue. Replace the chain with non oring and install the half link.