Best tire for the sand

dunner250

I just wanted to know what people had luck with. I guessing a smaller rim bigger tire and less tread? I have BFG 16" rim and I tow a 7 by 16 enclosed trailer out in the sand. I have pretty good luck but in the summer when the sand is soft and it has not rain for a while I seem to have some trouble. Airing down to 15 psi seems to help but its getting pretty low. I also see people pulling large 5th wheels and good size trailer and most of them seem to do OK. I also air down the trailer as well

Air em down to 10-15 pounds your fronts need to be real low if your in 4 high. Just cruise nice and easy. I run the toyo that everyone has. Im thinking about trying out the nitto dune grappler tire. there specifically for sand and have a flamed side wall. So they look cool to lol.

I used to run the Wild Country TXRs, but they quit making them in my size. I just put a set of the Toyo Open Country M/Ts on and haven't had them to the sand yet. I used to air down to 20 psi and that worked fine with my setup- 1995 F250HD 4X4 with a 10 ft. slide in camper and a 6.5X12 foot trailer loaded up, total weight was arond 9300 lbs. Make sur you air down EVERYTHING. Also, the dune grapplers are supposed to work really well in the sand. And when it comes to wheel size, most people in the know say your wheel diameter should not be more than 1/2 of what your tire diameter- that means a 15 inch wheel up to 31 inch tire, 16 inch for 32 or 33, 17 for 35 and so forth. If you want 20 inch wheels on your offroader, you should be running 40 inch tires. This is so you have enough sidewall flex to get good traction.

• 1 month later...

go to www.intercotire.com and look at the trxux STS tires

those are bad ass in the sand,,, theese guys make all the best off road truck tires hands down

Edited by chrisp250r

The TrXus STS, the STS stands for Three Stage Sidewall, is a new concept in all terrain tires. These tires are not intended to be a substitute for the Super Swamper or Bogger tires but a tire for you if you spend a lot of time on the street. Besides working so well on the street it has good off road performance and excels in snow and sand. It is also very much at home in the rocks and will impress anyone with its all around performance. This tire is going to set a new standard in the all terrain category. PICTURE #1 IS THE RADIAL & PICTURE 2 IS THE BIAS PLY

post-35308-12741527032194.jpg

my dad airs down to around 12psi in the truck and 20psi on the trailor and has zero problems movin around in the sand. he had 38" tsl's and currently runs 37" toyo mt's. both seem to work well.

my dad airs down to around 12psi in the truck and 20psi on the trailor and has zero problems movin around in the sand. he had 38" tsl's and currently runs 37" toyo mt's. both seem to work well.

I aired down to 15 psi on bfg this weekend at winchester bay. No problems in the sand, but I was only towing a little 5 by 10 trailer. I guess I'll see what happens memorial day weekend at sand lakes, that is where I always get stuck.

Ive got a 03 chevy 2500 diesel with stock 245/75/16 hwy threads.I go in and out of pismo pulling my 30 ft toyhauler loaded with (2) banshees,(1) trx450,(1) raptor 250.I just drop air pressure to 20lbs all the way around.toyhauler I drop to 15lbs.Now this is empty of water.I carry a 100 gal tank that I run and go fill up and pump it into the toyhauler after im parked.