weak spark

update-... pulled the flywheel today and the woodruff key looked to be chipped on one end about an 8th of an inch and it kinda looked like it had wear marks like indents on both sides like it was out too far and the flywheel rotating and engine braking maybe put the grooves in them. but maybe i'm confused but even if the key was advanced or retarted, the spark should be intense correct? the stator and the ground on the stator looked good, didnt see any busted or rubbed wires.

so i guess so far we've discovered it's not the cdi box, not the plugs, not the plug caps, pretty sure it's not the stator (yet), so next is to try my ignition coil on his. just double checking what i've done so far. soon as i get mine washed we'll switch coils. keep ya posted

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO...the most common thing to fail is the plug end caps and then the stator.

You can completely remove/unplug the voltage regulator, just don't turn on your lights.

That has NO effect on the ignition...it only prevent the bulbs from getting overjuiced and popping.

Do you happen to have a Ricky Stator or aftermarket stator on that bike?

original factory yamaha stator still installed on an '04 LE

• 3 weeks later...

ok, couldn't get a woodruff key fast enough so we cleaned the stator with a rag just for kicks and put the flywheel back on with the old key. fit fine and went on

strait but i'll still get another key. i put my working ignition coil on bro's quad and fired it up and STILL runs the same, weak spark and won't rev out.

so we put his coil with new plug caps back on and STILL the same thing. we pulled off the wiring harness and removed all the tors wiring and the parking brake wire

and check all the in-harness ground crimps and all ok. didn't see any rubbing and so i taped it back up and put it back in the bike. fired it up again and STILL the same

thing. did another ohm check on the stator and the lighting coil was slightly higher than speck in the book but not by more than 10-15 ohms. the stator is the last thing that we havn't swapped from mine to his so he's going to buy a stator and a key and hope for the best i guess. anyone have any other ideas???

Mine was doing the exact same thing... the stator checking out fine, so i swapped it with my buddies. it cranking just fine now, i just got the new one in the mail yesterday. It is probably the stator.

2- things.....first, if the key looks like that, then the flywheel has been running loose, probably about 10 degrees off, too, and not keeping good pickup gap. it will likely come loose again. you should check the tapers for square and make sure they are not glazed up. 2nd- do your lights flicker allot, and does the flywheel make any rattle when you shale it?

2- things.....first, if the key looks like that, then the flywheel has been running loose, probably about 10 degrees off, too, and not keeping good pickup gap. it will likely come loose again. you should check the tapers for square and make sure they are not glazed up. 2nd- do your lights flicker allot, and does the flywheel make any rattle when you shale it?

that's the thing though, i thought it came off pretty hard myself. the grooves in the sides of the key kinda really weren't grooves so much as just small indent

lines. as for the sound of the flywheel while riding, i didn't hear anything unusual, and by the way it came off, if it's loose, then we got even bigger problems!! the lights didn't do any weird flicker that i could see. wait, what do you mean by "shale it" ? i did clean the inside taper of the flywheel and the taper of the crank with a very fine quad ot steel wool to remove a little discoloration but it looked more like rust than glaze.

• 2 weeks later...

all right.... got a brand new rm stator, not sure if there good or not, but i've kinda read not so good things about ricky stator so that's what made that decision.....

anyway, installed the stator. took her out for a dive and it does EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!! RUNS LIKE CRAP!!! checked the resistance of all three coils on the stator and they're within specs. flywheel is find, sounds solid with no rattles. took the carbs off and cleaned them up, no plugged jets. took reeds cages off and

checked for cracks in reeds.... no cracks. put it all back together and tested again and does the same crappy bog. just dont know what to do now. this is really chizzlin' me out bad not to mention my bro's pissed and like goin thru serious banshee depression...haha we gotta laugh, what else are we gonna do.

i've read about the "smack test" of the cdi but i've not done it yet. here's a question. will a 2001 cdi box work with a 2004 le??? i just feel like i've looked at everything but i know i'm missing something..

have you checked to see if your wires got burnt by your stinger tube??

could of melted the wiring harness and is shorting out on your pipe.

just an idea

no man.... took the whole harness of and looked for anything that resembled burnt or rubbed or cracked wires. even unplugged the kill switch and headlight

connector where it's a six pin connector behind the radiator and started it thinking it could be in the switches but it wasnt.