Coolant system issues

Ok, guess I'm not out of the water yet. New build runs great but is spewing coolant.

Lets discuss what could be wrong here.

I am thinking:

Water pump seal issue

Air bubble in system

Clog in system

I dont know, its probly something stupid just wanted to get some other peoples opinions who have experienced this. Thanks fellas!

OK, a seal issue won't cause this, it will just have coolant in the tranny oil and vice versa. An air bubble should have burped itself out and it would stop doing it. Both an air bubble and a clog should just cause it to overheat, which you said nothing about. Did you get the overflow hose on the radiator in the right place, you can get it mixed up with the air vent hose coming from the cylinder head to the radiator? If that is not the problem, then I would be checking your head gasket/O rings.

OK, a seal issue won't cause this, it will just have coolant in the tranny oil and vice versa. An air bubble should have burped itself out and it would stop doing it. Both an air bubble and a clog should just cause it to overheat, which you said nothing about. Did you get the overflow hose on the radiator in the right place, you can get it mixed up with the air vent hose coming from the cylinder head to the radiator? If that is not the problem, then I would be checking your head gasket/O rings.

Yea, I will double check my hose routing first thing. Then Ill torque my head. Yea, it is pure coolant so I don't think I am leaking into my crankcase THEN overflowing. Its just weird but Ill finger it out.

if you have access to a pressure testing set for cooling system then you can put that on while the bike is running and watch the gauge. if it is building over 16 psi when you rev it then you know it is building too much pressure which is prolly from head gasket or coolhead o ring. i think you can pick up a cooing system pressure tester for pretty cheap from any parts store. does it show any signs or burning antifreeze? what kinda temp is it running?

if you have access to a pressure testing set for cooling system then you can put that on while the bike is running and watch the gauge. if it is building over 16 psi when you rev it then you know it is building too much pressure which is prolly from head gasket or coolhead o ring. i think you can pick up a cooing system pressure tester for pretty cheap from any parts store. does it show any signs or burning antifreeze? what kinda temp is it running?

you can def. hear the coolant "gurgling" in the radiator when u shut her down. And it drips drips drips out of the overflow. The dripping stops when the motor is off. I am thinking I have a line crossed somewhere... Hmm

hey man, i was just about to launch my own thread, as i have the same prob, just had a rebuild, rebored to 64.25 and new pistons and rings but it was doing it before, its pissing out on to my t5s when riding the mx track here! ive got a stock motor apart from the pipes. hopefully ive got a line mixed up? il have to whip the tank off this week and have a look and try and get it sorted for this weekend. If its no that, a new head gasket then?

alot of times when people get the motor back in they cross the over flow lines, thus coolant dumps into the overflow bottle rather than circulating, the tallest point on the radiator is were the line going into the overflow bottle goes(the fitting on the radiator cap stem) then the small 1/4inch hose of the head goes on the lower fitting on the top right of the radiator(the small turned down fitting)

your head is not sealed properly. i have seen them where they will push coolant out, but pull minimal or no coolant in. that makes it kind of hard to see the problem when you cant see or smell the antifreeze coming out the exhaust.

pull your plugs and see if they look really wet. not gas wet, but water wet. also, pull off the pipes and see if there is coolant in the cylinder or in the pipes themselves. if you have either of these, you can bet its the head.

JD I had this happen on 2 of my friends bike in the past 2 weeks.

First bike it was the plastics gear on the impeller, it had broke in 2 pieces causing the bike to over heat.

2nd bike, one of the orings was crushed while installing the head.

I pulled the plugs and when we stood the bike up, anti freeze was pouring out of the spark plug holes.

I guess it cant hurt to check your hose routing also.

What about a bad impeller?

Just a few things to check

Good luck, prob something stupid

JD I had this happen on 2 of my friends bike in the past 2 weeks.

First bike it was the plastics gear on the impeller, it had broke in 2 pieces causing the bike to over heat.

2nd bike, one of the orings was crushed while installing the head.

I pulled the plugs and when we stood the bike up, anti freeze was pouring out of the spark plug holes.

I guess it cant hurt to check your hose routing also.

What about a bad impeller?

Just a few things to check

Good luck, prob something stupid

I have never done a leak test on any of my motors lol.... I just put a billet impellar in last season, and new o-rings!! Ill pull the head and see whats up. It HAS to be the head.

All of my lines are routed correctly too

mabey i missed where it was asked or stated, but.......did it spit sight away, or after it got hot? did it run a few warm-up cool-down cycles and then start doing it after a later run? have you pulled the rad cap and watched what is going on? is the water flowing? does it start pushing out, or does it just splash? bubbles? did you retorque the head after 2-3 heat cycles?. now, the cooing system has many places where coolant can get trapped when you are trying to drain it out, but no place that air gets trapped when filling it on the level. and, i don't see how 2 different size hoses can get mixed, lol, but the coolant bottle lines are easy to mix up, if they are in factory routing, with all the plastics on. if that happens, it will pull air from the top of the tank when it cools of, and push coolant out the bottm of the tank when it heats up.....untill the radiator gets low enough, and the bottle empties.....easy way to tell is pull the top hose off and blow through it....it should flow freely.

well tonight i whipped the tank off and checked all my lines, pretty sure they are correct, as they are different sizes, but to note the hose from bottom on my expansion tank, (that goes to the top of the rad next to the rad cap), somehow was wedged under my airbox and rear shock mount, pinching it tight, it was pretty tight in there and took some pulling out, no doubt this would be causing some issues.

My bike melted a piston 2weeks ago, hence my new rebuild on sat morn, but its was pushing out water before, and still is now. So im thinking due to the intense heat, i may have warped my head, so i took that off tonight aswell. I put it on my steel workbench which is flat, and there is slight rocking motion, if i press with my finger on the front bolt recess next to where the rad hose connects, it lifts the back side ever so slightly.

Rang my yam dealer early this morning thou, the guy i always deal with there used to personally race banshees in mx, and pretty sure won the Pont De Vaux enduro a few times, he was confident that my problem was the head gasket, so ive got that on the way and he has heads in stock for £30, so il prob get one aswell. Hopefully be sorted by the weekend! Keep you posted

is your workbench true flat, like 1/4"+, or "flat" got a straitedge? i would just have the head planed, or milled, actually, and you will pick up a little power over just replacing the head. also, it has to be parfectly cleaned, with no burrs, or deposits to be square, or the slightest thing can make you think it's warped, not to say it's not, but i'd be sticking a straitedge on it and checking for junk on there.