You guys ever run into this problem with your K&N pods?

jon321

Any filter maintained properly will work like it is supposed to. Under oil a K&N or foam filter and it won't work. Over oil one and it will clog up.

Get the angled K&N's, should help out. But they may rub on the frame by the top shock mount. Just something ya gotta deal with.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like you have a 1/2 inch spacer in the intake,is there one there?

i was running in frame cpis and 35mm pwk's with pods with no clearance issues.

yes ,i think it may be bigger then 1/2 inch though,lol. whoever built the quad for the original owner stuck those in there if removing those dosent throw anything out of whack ill do it.

Yes but who says it's not rigged. I guarantee you if K&N did a commercial there's would stop everything and everyone else's would let dirt through. I'm not gonna argue either. I ride with probably 6 bikes that all run K&N's. We ride in sand, and some dirty conditions. We all keep the filters well-maintained and when we take them off after a ride there's not a bit of dirt on the inside of the filter, carb, nor reeds.

And I'd also says it's a give and take on performance. All the big bikes I've seen run the K&N or K&N copies, coincidence?

yes ,i think it may be bigger then 1/2 inch though,lol. whoever built the quad for the original owner stuck those in there if removing those dosent throw anything out of whack ill do it.

The reed spacers are sometimes installed to install bigger reed cages without grinding as much material in the intake tract. As long as your reeds fit and open without hitting the intake walls, I Wou

ld just remove them to make room for your carbs. That is a beautiful Banshee, you should be proud.

Don

I'd like to hear why this video is wrong or fake or rigged. Lets debunk this video together.

This quote under the video makes you think...."why did they cut off at 4:20 and showed the "clean" cloth afterwards? they didnt cut off from the other filters so why from the true flow filters?"

The K&N in the video, if it was a K&N was under oiled. I don't know what paper filter they were using, but any good paper filter stops more crap than either foam or K&N, but is by far the most restrictive by far. All in all, they are hawking the foam filter in the test, so who do you think is going to win?

Foam isn't a bad filter, it's just a huge pain in the ass. They suck to clean, they suck to oil just right, and they suck to install. They only thing I have ever found foam good for is muddy conditions, and then I like them warped around a K&N filter to keep the big chunks off of my outerwear, with NO oil on it what so ever.

Can you name me one form of racing that uses a open filter set up that uses foam as the primary filter?

wow dude that is cluttered under there.

What size carbs and filters are you running.

I was running CPI'S 35's and pods and i still had plenty of room.

I had the angled pods so im guessing thats what helped.

I also have heat wraps on the stinger tubes so I do not burn up my pods or outerwears.

i also use the CPI and 35 with 6 inch pods combo and have enough room alll around

The K&N in the video, if it was a K&N was under oiled. I don't know what paper filter they were using, but any good paper filter stops more crap than either foam or K&N, but is by far the most restrictive by far. All in all, they are hawking the foam filter in the test, so who do you think is going to win?

Foam isn't a bad filter, it's just a huge pain in the ass. They suck to clean, they suck to oil just right, and they suck to install. They only thing I have ever found foam good for is muddy conditions, and then I like them warped around a K&N filter to keep the big chunks off of my outerwear, with NO oil on it what so ever.

Can you name me one form of racing that uses a open filter set up that uses foam as the primary filter?

The K&N in the video, if it was a K&N was under oiled.

The same could be said for the foam filter in the video.

All in all, they are hawking the foam filter in the test, so who do you think is going to win?

But you seen it with your own eyes. And the results weren't even close. It was a blowout. Do you think that perhaps the guys who made the video used some trickery or editing trick ?

Foam isn't a bad filter, it's just a huge pain in the ass. They suck to clean, they suck to oil just right, and they suck to install.

I have to totally disagree. They are soooooooo easy to clean. The best way is with a parts washer, just hold the filter under the spray for a bit and it wring it out. Or if you don't have a parts washer, a little bit of kerosene poured over the filter and its clean. And to oil em, all you do is spray em with filter oil and rub the oil in a little bit. How are those two procedures anyway difficult or a pain in the ass ? And I don't under how foam sucks to install. You slip the filter on the flange, and you tighten down the hose clamp. Not sucky at all. And what is the cleaning, oiling and installation procedures of a K&N and how are those procedures easier and better than what I just described for a foam filter ??

They only thing I have ever found foam good for is muddy conditions

Foam filters are better at filtering fine dust and dirt, and not so much mud. All three types of filters can handle mud fine, its the dust in the air that challenges an air filter. Not mud. You have it backwards.

Yes. MX and SX and XC dirt bikes all run foam. Foam is by far the dominate filter used on dirt bikes. Guys racing dirt bikes don't use K&N filters. Charmachael and Stewart both use Twin Air for example. Any dirt bike with a K&N filter installed means the guy who owns the machine is a noob. I'd bet 90% of all dirt bikes that are raced in national races use a foam filter.

I think that guys look at the two filters and think.... "well the K&N filter has to better because it looks like its engineered better, and because the competition is just a hunk of foam. And the K&N filter costs almost double than foam so it just has to be the better filter. And everyone says that K&N's breathe better, so they make more HP." And guys get suckered into a marketing ploy.

Closed course racing is a lot different than the rest of us in the real world, vary rarely are they dusty races, the tracks get watered to prevent that. How many foam filters do you see on say winged outlaw cars? They also run closed course, but make about 10 times the HP as a motorcycle.

This quote under the video makes you think...."why did they cut off at 4:20 and showed the "clean" cloth afterwards? they didnt cut off from the other filters so why from the true flow filters?"

Yep it is an Infomercial. There product is alway supiror. Foam filters and Tornado's are the way to go :headbang:

I have never found dirt in the intake, carbs, or inside of the filters running K&N's with outerwears. K&N hasn't been in buisness for 40 years selling bad air filters.