You guys ever run into this problem with your K&N pods?

jon321

I would NEVER run K+N's on anything that is going to see off road conditions. They do not filter well. Use oiled foam filters if you care about your motor. I am not interested in a filter debate, I have seen the amount of crap that gets by these filters and the damage that takes place more then I care to explain. They belong on a street only vehicle.

Don

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would NEVER run K+N's on anything that is going to see off road conditions. They do not filter well. Use oiled foam filters if you care about your motor. I am not interested in a filter debate, I have seen the amount of crap that gets by these filters and the damage that takes place more then I care to explain. They belong on a street only vehicle.

Don

Iv been sayin' the same thing for a long long time.

Don

What do you reccomend for a filter then?

K&N's that are maintained as they should be will not pass any more dirt than foam, add outerwears and they stop more than foam, and stay cleaner longer.

The problem with the set up in question are the reed spacers. Ditch the spacers and life will be good man. You might need to get a different intake to make it clear the clutch arm.

K&N's that are maintained as they should be will not pass any more dirt than foam, add outerwears and they stop more than foam, and stay cleaner longer.

The problem with the set up in question are the reed spacers. Ditch the spacers and life will be good man. You might need to get a different intake to make it clear the clutch arm.

Been building two stroke engines of all types for forty years. Beleive me when I tell you I have seen more then many have. You could not pay me to use a K+N on any motor that I own.

Don

I'm not calling you a liar by no means. I run a foam filter on my dirtbike and it works great for that but I dont have a box on my banshee and that doesn't make any sense having foam pods on it so I run k&ns when installed right with outwears they can become clogged with dust. That means they are holding all the harmful stuff out.

Been building two stroke engines of all types for forty years. Beleive me when I tell you I have seen more then many have. You could not pay me to use a K+N on any motor that I own.

Don

If you want to really hold the dust out, run paper. Oiled foam is about as gay as aids. They clog far faster than any filter and then the dirt works is it's way through. I would never run foam on any thing but a dirt bike in muddy conditions, if it was in the air box.

I ride sand, and I run with guys who ride hard every year, and there isn't a foam filter in the bunch. All K&N's with outerwears. We are talking about banshee's, VW, and auto craft based VW, subbies, rotary, ford 4 bangers, caddy north star, and a whack of other 2 and 4 stroke bikes, trikes, and 4 wheelers. Not one of them have to been rebuilt due to getting dusted through a K&N filter with a outerwear. I'd say the jury is back, and K&N filters with a outterwear when maintained in a correct fashion keeps crap out of engines in the worst conditions know to man (sand) I'd say they work.

I have found dirt and dust gummed up on the inside of foam filters, that means that that stuff made it's way through the filter.

Maintenance on K&N filters is easy to boot, way better than trying to get the goo out of a foam filter, and re-oiled.

I dont have a box on my banshee and that doesn't make any sense having foam pods on it so I run k&ns

Whats your logic here ? What im wondering is the "that doesn't make any sense" comment.

Using an airbox = Foam or K&N.

No airbox - K&N only ?

IMO, you guys are nutz for running a K&N, especially without an airbox.

It doesn't make sense running oily foam filters. I don't have a airbox on my banshee so should I run oily filters so that everything that passes thru the air running or not gets stuck to them. Also think about sandrails what kind of filters do they run on them? Sure wouldn't put a crappy filter on a motor that costs 30k to build

It doesn't make sense running oily foam filters. I don't have a airbox on my banshee so should I run oily filters so that everything that passes thru the air running or not gets stuck to them. Also think about sandrails what kind of filters do they run on them? Sure wouldn't put a crappy filter on a motor that costs 30k to build

But dont you oil your K&N filters ?

And it DOES make sense to run oiled filters "so that everything that passes thru the air, running or not, gets stuck to them." Thats what a filter does, its filters dirt from the air. You want the filter to catch 'everything that passes thru the air". If your point is that dirt gets on the oiled filter when the bike is NOT running, then thats a poor point.

How dusty does it get at the sand dunes ? Big clouds of dust everywhere ?