03 shee overheating

just got back from little sahara,when i was there i noticed that the overflow from the radiator would pour out water/steam after justa few minutes of wot....before i left i installed a billit water pump,so assuming that was the problem i took off the impeller and all is well there.it has been on the same rebuild/milled head for 2 seasons now w/o any issues.one thing that i noticed is that with the radiator cap off i cant see any coolant flowing through the radiator,were-as on my other machines you can clearly see coolant flow in the radiator...really need some help on this,btw did a few plug reads while i was ther and the plugs looked great,so i dont think it is a lean situation doing this

im assuming you replaced the water impellar with a billet one to try and solve the cooling problem before you left? Have you done the obvious like spray the radiator out to see if it was clogged with anything (be careful with the pressure washer and spray right at it from a distance, dont wanna bend any fins). How did the old impellar look?

im assuming you replaced the water impellar with a billet one to try and solve the cooling problem before you left? Have you done the obvious like spray the radiator out to see if it was clogged with anything (be careful with the pressure washer and spray right at it from a distance, dont wanna bend any fins). How did the old impellar look?

yes i put in a billit pump,i havent tried flushing the radiator because the fluid always looks like new when i drain it,so i assume there is no debis clogging it.also i think that is should see some water flowing even if it was slightly clogged,on anothert note the fins arent in the best shape as it is,i do alot of mx so i get quit a bit of hard dirt slung into it,however i would really like to solve to flow issue before i go throwing parts at it that arent really nessasary right now

yes i put in a billit pump,i havent tried flushing the radiator because the fluid always looks like new when i drain it,so i assume there is no debis clogging it.also i think that is should see some water flowing even if it was slightly clogged,on anothert note the fins arent in the best shape as it is,i do alot of mx so i get quit a bit of hard dirt slung into it,however i would really like to solve to flow issue before i go throwing parts at it that arent really nessasary right now

has your plastic rock guard been broken recently? the reason i ask is im wondering if your radiator took a rock hit that bent the interal tube and pinched it so that it couldn't flow through. also you should spray out the fins on your radiator as the mud and crap stuck inbetween the fins will bake in and hamper the cooling abilites of the radiator itself...

Are you 100% sure the water pump is in working order. Did you fire it up for a second with the water pump cover plate off?

Your radiator can also get limed up with hard watter deposits. When mixing coolant I always use store bought distilled water, not tap water.

Are you 100% sure the water pump is in working order. Did you fire it up for a second with the water pump cover plate off?

Your radiator can also get limed up with hard watter deposits. When mixing coolant I always use store bought distilled water, not tap water.

yes i am 100% sure that the pump is turning,i took the cover off and i can see it turn over as i kick the motor over,i also can grab the impeller and and there is no play in it,i can almost turn over the motor by turning the pump by hand.

has your plastic rock guard been broken recently? the reason i ask is im wondering if your radiator took a rock hit that bent the interal tube and pinched it so that it couldn't flow through. also you should spray out the fins on your radiator as the mud and crap stuck inbetween the fins will bake in and hamper the cooling abilites of the radiator itself...

that is possible,im sure it has taken a rock or two...i do pressure wash the entire machine,including the radiator after every ride,so i dont think that the fins would be clogged with mud,and once again that still wouldnt prevent flow through it....i will take it out this weekend and run a hose through it to make sure that water flows properley throug the radiator,ill let you guys know what i find,thansk for the advice

I had this issue a while back and what had happened was my waterpump bearing was full of plastic debris from the gear shearing off so therefore it wasnt flowing water and resulted in a blown headgasket cuz it got too hot. Did it smell "hot" or did it overheat on u? When mine got hot, i could smell it baaaad. I put a new gear and billet iimpeller, new headgasket and an inline cooler (which is the biggest rip-off gimmick ever). Those things dont do jack shit but clutter shit up lol!

I had this issue a while back and what had happened was my waterpump bearing was full of plastic debris from the gear shearing off so therefore it wasnt flowing water and resulted in a blown headgasket cuz it got too hot. Did it smell "hot" or did it overheat on u? When mine got hot, i could smell it baaaad. I put a new gear and billet iimpeller, new headgasket and an inline cooler (which is the biggest rip-off gimmick ever). Those things dont do jack shit but clutter shit up lol!

the gear was fine when i installed the impeller as were the bearings,i dont have a temp gauge but it physically smelled hot,and it took almost 1/2 gal of water when it had cooled off,so im assuming it was overheating

the gear was fine when i installed the impeller as were the bearings,i dont have a temp gauge but it physically smelled hot,and it took almost 1/2 gal of water when it had cooled off,so im assuming it was overheating

Pull the head off and look at it and u can tell if the headgasket blew or not. Im betting it blew the head gasket and its not sealiing and keeping pressure.

Pull the head off and look at it and u can tell if the headgasket blew or not. Im betting it blew the head gasket and its not sealiing and keeping pressure.

this may be,however that still wouldnt expain the lack of flow across the radiator,even if the gasket was blown

well i decided to star the quad with the pump cover off and a hose in the rad to make sure it was pumping,when it fired i noticed that there was 2 stroke smoke coming from the water pump area,after closer inspection it was coming from the port that leads to the jugs.so knowing this i figured it had a blow head gasket,so i pulled it apart and didnt really see anything suspect,i run a single layer cometic head gasket.so after cleaning everything off and checking for warpage,i reinstalled the gasket using a thin layer of hilamar(spelling??)i havent had time to fire it back up yet,and i wanted to let the silicone have a good amount of time to set up.the other thing i noticed was that the head bolts seemed alittle lose to me???i had re-torqued them 3 times the last time i had it apart,after several heat cycles,so im not sure what happened there,but i decidedto use a small amount of lok-tie on them this time,well see what happens