Methanol help

Hi guys.

Ive got some 17cc domes on their way and im expecting the compression to be right up there.

Im concidering running 98octane pump fuel, spiked with AV Gas to bring the octane up.

Or....

Run 100% methanol which is easier to get than AV Gas.

I dont know much about it but i understand i will use alot more (not a problem, 20ltr tank(, il need bigger jets and something about needing to flush it after?

Whats it like to start a cold nike on Meth? Will i need to start it on petrol?

Lastly, will the internals of my Keine carbs and and fuel tank be ok with Meth in it?

Ive got some 17cc domes on their way and im expecting the compression to be right up there.

Im concidering running 98octane pump fuel, spiked with AV Gas to bring the octane up.

I would guess that 17cc domes would require 110 or better.

Or....

Run 100% methanol which is easier to get than AV Gas.

I dont know much about it but i understand i will use alot more (not a problem, 20ltr tank(, il need bigger jets and something about needing to flush it after?

Everyone says it takes double the amount of fuel. I think it is more than that. I only get about a dozen 300' passes on a factory tank.

I drain the tank of any leftover alky and pour about a quart of premix gas in then run it till it dies.

Whats it like to start a cold nike on Meth? Will i need to start it on petrol?

Lastly, will the internals of my Keine carbs and and fuel tank be ok with Meth in it?

Starting shouldn't be an issue until the temps get down in the 40 degree F range. I spray the filters with a small shot of starting fluid. Some guys have a squirt bottle with gas that they put a few drops on the filters with.

Your tank, lines, and carbs will be fine. just don't let it sit for long a time with meth in it.

Your carbs will take some major prep to run alky. The dumps need to drilled out to 0.120" to 0.125" range and will have to have adjustable power jets installed. If you run only 300' drags you can get away with larger bowls but if you run any farther than that at WOT you will need a pump. I highly recommend you have the carbs converted by someone with experience or pick up a known good set already set up.

I really like alky so far. It is easy to tune with the power jets and is very forgiving. It can be ran very rich with no power noticeable power loss. It can be a little messy sometimes, you will blow raw fuel out the pipes which makes a mess out of the silencer packing. And be careful about venting the shop, the exhaust will run you out quickly!

Have fun!

Rick

You're not ready for methanol...keep it on 110.

You use twice as much, if it's cold out it's a bitch to start, you have to purge your bike with fuel/oil once you're done running or plan on putting it away...Methanol is very corrosive AND it sucks moisture from the air.

Unless you're a hard core duner or drag racer, methanol just isn't in your bag.

There's a lot of maintenance involved with it...and your fuel mileage is TERRIBLE.

17cc domes are tiny, I hope you have your crank trued and welded. If not...bad idea.

Is the motor ported?

Just bumping the compression alone is not the ticket, build around a good package.

Kingsley, I'm not trying to sound or be a smart ass...

In my opinion, you've got the wrong reasons to go to methanol....

dajogejr- You are probley very correct with your susgestions. Im yet to know what my ratio will be until i recieve the domes and cc it all. I may still increase the dome size if fuel is going to be too much of an issue.

Im not looking forward to the extra maintenance that comes with methanol so that could be the deciding factor for me.

Im running trued and welded 4mm Hotrods crank, Some kind of porting (came with the bike), blaster forged 66.5mm pistons, cool head but with banshee 22cc domes.

I went looking to see why i wasnt getting power that i expected and learnt that my domes wernt suited and were only giving 100psi and the full build. I think i was given some wrong advice and ordered the 17cc domes to suit blaster pistons.

Im just trying to cover all options to make this package work for me.

At this stage i think i may be increasing the domes size to work with 98 octane pump fuel.

Oh Boy!!

I thought you'd have 17cc domes for a stock stroke.

17cc with a 4 mil stroker? Too much in my opinion.

You have a different problem unless you are at 4000 to 5000 feet elevation.

A 4 mil stroker motor with 22 cc domes even ported should be 130 plus in cranking compression on a quality gauge.

You are correct in needing domes cut for the blaster piston, they have a different crown than the banshee piston.

I think properly cut domes in the 20cc range would do you much better.

Put it at 5 degrees of timing to start...and run 108 or 110 race fuel.

You have to check your compression ratio for octane needs...as well as lean a little on how much timing you are running.

Cranking compression with a quality tester is a good idea to measure wear and get a baseline, but cranking PSI does NOT equate to octane needs.

Your cranking compression is effected by port timings, your compression ratio is not.

I hope that makes sense....

Yeah it makes sence and it sound like im understanding it all as i go.

Id like to get away from the use of race fuel as its over $2 a ltr over here in Aus.

Im going to deal with some machinist and experiment at increasing the domes CC's in the chambers once i get them until i reach a ratio that will be safe on 98octane.

My ports must be fairly high then plus the balster pistons to return a 100psi reading.

I have to measure them when i CC the engine and will compare then to stock.