tether cord

hey guys. I got my tether cord in today. its the emgo closed circuit to run switch. i hooked it up to where the key switch would normally hook up and i wouldnt get spark. does it have to be tied in to the killswitch that ties in with the light switch? how are you guys mounting connecting them?

hey guys. I got my tether cord in today. its the emgo closed circuit to run switch. i hooked it up to where the key switch would normally hook up and i wouldnt get spark. does it have to be tied in to the killswitch that ties in with the light switch? how are you guys mounting connecting them?

i personally dont use a tether but i think you would ground one wire then run one the the orange coil wire??

I wired my tether to my kill switch by the lights but it is an open circuit to run there. That should work because if you removed the key switch which is a closed circuit to run and replaced it with another I dont see any problems. Also if it is a closed circuit to run if you hooked it to the coil and the ground the coil would always be grounded which would kill the spark until you pull the tether.

Some people claim that hhooking it to the orange wire at the coil will damage the CDI box. If the contacts are closed when the tether is pulled out then it should be wired to the same wire as the off/run switch uses and to ground. If the contacts are open when the tether is pulled then it sould be wired to the key switch wires, if you are keeping your key switch, it should be wired in series with the key switch and if you are taking the key switch off, it can just replace it. Remember, when they say normally open or normally closed, it means with nothing acting on the switch,or the position that the spring moves the contacts to. This means on a tether switch that the cord and the little plastic "key" are removed from the switch, or pulled out. Hopes this clears some things up.

Some people claim that hhooking it to the orange wire at the coil will damage the CDI box.

Yep don't hook it up to the coil. Even Dynatek says not to.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/support/dynatek_faq.aspx#610

Most tether kill switches sold are normally open with the tether key installed. Once the tether key is removed, the switch will close itself, creating a short to whatever circuit it wired to. This should not be used to ground the high voltage signal to the ignition coil.

WARNING: Installation of a grounded tether kill switch to the ignition coil signal will damage the ignition. Consult your individual instruction manual for specific wiring instructions.

RECOMMENDED: Magneto- Source coil CDI (Banshee / 400EX / 250R / MX bikes / etc): Use a NORMALY OPEN tether kill switch connected to the stock kill switch. When tether is removed the switch should ground the kill input into the ignition.