How To Stop Leaking Carbs

Many have the problem with carbs leaking over time from the over flow tubes. I am going to skip some of the more general knowledge of how to take your carbs out and disassemble them and ad this little bit of info.

When a carb is leaking, it is either the floats not set correctly (which commonly don't ever change themselves unless either someone has been tampering with them or they dont FLOAT anymore), or the float valve.

Here what i found because i want to replace my float valves (the service guide suggests replacing both the float valve and the seat (copper piece) at the same time)

002-190 float valve and seat part number from Mikuni (I believe)

K&L model number for float only (equivalent to part above made by diff manufacturer)

18-8944

Yamaha Part number

1UA-14190-28-00 This should include both the seat and the Valve

Size 2.8 (i guess this is the size. I didn't see it listed in the Service manual)

007-978 order number from Sudco.com

oldbikebarn.com

carbkitscapital.com

ebay

I emailed the 3 websites to confirm these parts. Just a little heads up to save you some time.

i used StadiumYamaha.com to find original yamaha part numbers.

Thanks ALL!

post-35241-12687203140067.jpg

I ordered both the seat and the float valve from Carbkitscapital.com. They ship from Canada.

It was 27.10 after 2 seats and 2 valves, which is still cheaper then one set from the dealer. Shipping is fed-ex and seems kinda slow.

I will test the product and check the quality.

On another note:

Remember, yes, you can raise your floats to compensate for a leaking valve but this causes your bike to run lean from what i a have seen. Its best to keep the floats where they belong (20-22 mm from what i remember)

Westside, wouldnt it have been much easier to just call an HQ sponsor and order this up:

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=188 ? :confused::cheers:

Westside, wouldnt it have been much easier to just call an HQ sponsor and order this up:

+1 Just remember that the included jets and needles are for STOCK carbs, so if you are currently piped and jetted accordingly, you will reuse those needles and jets. I found this out the hard way after putting the carbs back on... banghead

• 1 month later...

Just Cutting out the middle man. I never found these parts cheaper then the website i ordered them from so i went with it.

FireBanshee - My carbs were leaking when i turned the fuel on, i couldnt ride like that. Besides, Right tool for the right job. Also, Make sure your carb DRAIN BOLT is tight. I talked with someone with a leaking problem and this was the problem

Shiiiiieet! My drain bolts won't come loose!

My damn carbs have been leaking since I put them back together. I think I need to go back in and check them out some more, I might have knocked some crap into the float needle seat. If my floats/needles are worn, what should I be looking for? I checked my needle out last time I had my carbs apart, but I didn't really see anything that stood out as worn.

hahahahaha, funny you should mention the drain screws that is the first thing to get messed up when a needle/seat leaks. they only need to be snug, not real tight. if they don't seal, clean them and try again. first thing to do is remove the float, and needle and clean it. then check the adjustment and put it back together. if it poors, tap the bowl, in case the float is sticking. if there is actually a bad needle/seat, then all it will do is slightly drizzle, not poor, out of the drain tube. few times a week in shout, and several posts again and again show how common, and often all this info is spread around. long story short, this thread will soon be forgotten