Tire Help please!

run

these are the infamous ohtsu tires (or Honda tires as most people on here call em :rolleyes: )

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=174

and dont be so hostil there loco :evil: , I kinda figured that post I made would get you stirred up on the talk about what is the best tire. I tell you what, if I could find a good deal on a set of these "honda tires" i'll try em out and post my own review on how they compare to "everything else". you got a good set you'd want to sell for cheap?

im not hostile, im just trying to show you that itp and maxxis have been revamping their junk tires for years. there is nothing new about them other than a little different tread pattern or using a racers name on the side. changing the spacing by just a little does nothing for the tire.

if ohtsu was to come out with a tire and sponsor a rider, of course the rider is going to take free tires for every race. then, all you would hear about is how great they were. thats how advertising works and its obviously working for maxxis and itp.

as you know i run dirt hillclimbs. there is no other type of riding where hooking up is more important. most of the time, the holeshot makes or breaks a hillclimb run. when i first started climbing i tried out probably 10-15 sets of tires to find the hardest hooking tire. nothing by itp or maxxis even came close.

the tires that really shined were ones you rarely hear about, unless its someone like me saying theyre good. those companies rely on word of mouth to sell tires because they either dont have the money to advertise in a magazine or dont want any overhead.

i dont have any ohtsus i wanna sell. they are worth every penny of what they cost from FAST. ive seen them in action at hillclimbs and on my brothers yfz450. they are the real deal. they hook hard and dont weigh a ton.

you can roll your eyes all you want at the "honda tires" but they will out hook any itp or maxxis tires.

i bet you roll your eyes at the stock yfz450 tires too huh? they are another underrated tire and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

LOL....awesome.

Tyler;

I went with the Hook ups because they are a 4 ply radial opposed to a 2 ply, and I saw a set on a buddies bike, and they are FAR more spaced out than the IRAZR and look way more aggressive, they were also cheap so if they dont work I can dump them....

lol.......ah shit I give up.......theres no use arguing about this anymore, you got a far better response to this topic then me lol :notworthy: ......so Im done :flush: lol

but I will say one more thing, and tell me what your think on this. I was looking at the Irazr and ohtsu tread patterns, and they are fairly similar to my eyes. they have close to the same staggered tread pattern, except different shapped and angled knobs, and different shoulder knobs. and on both tires, theres a space between each lug across the width of the tire where it looks like when they spin, there would be a small line of dirt left where the lugs didnt contact the ground because they are not overlapping (like on the razrs/razr2s, holeshots, etc) sorta like this?

razrs/holeshots X X X X ohtsu/Irazr _ _ _ _

X X X - _ - _ - _ -

X X X X _ - _ - _ - _

- - - -

the ohtsu do hook up incredible. i love them. they are great for drag racing against buddies. they work everywhere. you just have to be alittle careful of rocks because they are two ply i think. they even work in sand. you can usually pick them up cheap, used, at atv shops because they all convince their customers to upgrade to razors, holeshot, and the other big names. those big name tires are pretty stiff and cause the rear to spin alot on almost all terrains. then the customer thinks that they need more power because the bike doesnt feel so fast anymore. then they are convinced into getting pipes, and other upgrades. when im drag racing on dirt and i see someone with the big name dirt tires line up, me and my group always see an easy target. we usually can beat them even though their bike is bigger. they are usually confused and pissed off and you can usually see their bike at the local atv repair shop getting huge upgrades. haha. its just like the sand drags. whats the sense of so much power if you cant put it down to the ground correctly. if i were into gncc racing i would definately buy the big name brands because they have a thicker, harder carcass. and the name of the game is lasting the whole race.

LOL....awesome.

Tyler;

I went with the Hook ups because they are a 4 ply radial opposed to a 2 ply, and I saw a set on a buddies bike, and they are FAR more spaced out than the IRAZR and look way more aggressive, they were also cheap so if they dont work I can dump them....

thats cool. to be honest, everyone should run cheaper tires.. that way, when they start to get worn down you dont feel like you have to run them until they are bald. there are a lot of tires out there that once they lose their sharp edge, they are pretty much done. most of the itp and maxxis tires are like that.

lol.......ah shit I give up.......theres no use arguing about this anymore, you got a far better response to this topic then me lol :notworthy: ......so Im done :flush: lol

but I will say one more thing, and tell me what your think on this. I was looking at the Irazr and ohtsu tread patterns, and they are fairly similar to my eyes. they have close to the same staggered tread pattern, except different shapped and angled knobs, and different shoulder knobs. and on both tires, theres a space between each lug across the width of the tire where it looks like when they spin, there would be a small line of dirt left where the lugs didnt contact the ground because they are not overlapping (like on the razrs/razr2s, holeshots, etc) sorta like this?

i dont have any of the razr tires on hand or i would do a side by side comparison on them and the ohtsus, but i have found the tread patter on the ohtsus to be a lot better do to length and width of the lugs and the spacing. i will do my best to explain why the irazrs arent that good.

first, they are heavier than hell. turning weight is everything. the heavier they are, the harder they will be to turn. thats no good when youre wanting wheel speed. second, the lugs arent very tall on them. i was surprised when i initially tested them many years ago at how short the lug is. of the whole group, i think i was least impressed with the irazr. another issue with them is that the lugs dont flex. with the lug not giving under pressure, the tire simply keeps spinning without being able to grab anything. with the ohtsus, the lug is wider and narrower with the inside of the lug being hollow. the legs flex a great deal so once the lug is on the ground, it will keep trying to bite as it keeps rotating, unlike the irazr which will simple skip over the ground.

now, there are different rules that apply to uncut tires and since this thread isnt about that, i wont go into it.

as far as general riding abilities, the ohtsus will hook in a wider range of terrain.

and again, if i had two of the tires on hand, i could demonstrate this better.

the ohtsu do hook up incredible. i love them. they are great for drag racing against buddies. they work everywhere. you just have to be alittle careful of rocks because they are two ply i think. they even work in sand. you can usually pick them up cheap, used, at atv shops because they all convince their customers to upgrade to razors, holeshot, and the other big names. those big name tires are pretty stiff and cause the rear to spin alot on almost all terrains. then the customer thinks that they need more power because the bike doesnt feel so fast anymore. then they are convinced into getting pipes, and other upgrades. when im drag racing on dirt and i see someone with the big name dirt tires line up, me and my group always see an easy target. we usually can beat them even though their bike is bigger. they are usually confused and pissed off and you can usually see their bike at the local atv repair shop getting huge upgrades. haha. its just like the sand drags. whats the sense of so much power if you cant put it down to the ground correctly. if i were into gncc racing i would definately buy the big name brands because they have a thicker, harder carcass. and the name of the game is lasting the whole race.

this is pretty much spot on. if ohtsu would make a heavy duty 6 ply tire, i feel very confident that tons of people would use them. their lug pattern is very good.

If you decide to call out Loco don't let it be on the tire subject. LOL. Im just going to have to try them tires for myself i heard a lot of people other than hq saying a lot of good things about them tires. Might have to try them out.

haha, dirt tires are one thing i have a lot of r&d invested in. in fact i have way too much time in it.

• 1 year later...

Loco whats your opinion on the Kutter XC tires? Last year i ran the "honda" tires but looking for a little more durability this year with a 6 ply.

For the record I ride mostly with the same 3 other bikes almost all the time. Another banshee with Razr 2's a 400ex and dvx400 both with regular razrs. The only place I found significantly less traction with the "honda tires" then they did was in the wet, Specially wet grass.

the kenda kutter XC rears are plain NASTY

you gotta see a set in person to appreciate the nastiness of the knobs, they have a very flat profile as well, like the razr2

they cost about the same as alot of these cheap 4 ply tires like the ohtsu , stock yfz's, etc, if you are concerned about a pound or so.. then 6 ply tires arnt for you , personally i dont give a shit and im out there to ride and have fun, not fix flats and cry at gaping sidewall gashes :P

i am running another pair of GNCC's right now , which have awesome traction, but when they are beat, im switching to kenda kutter XC

the kenda kutter XC rears are plain NASTY

you gotta see a set in person to appreciate the nastiness of the knobs, they have a very flat profile as well, like the razr2

they cost about the same as alot of these cheap 4 ply tires like the ohtsu , stock yfz's, etc, if you are concerned about a pound or so.. then 6 ply tires arnt for you , personally i dont give a shit and im out there to ride and have fun, not fix flats and cry at gaping sidewall gashes :P

i am running another pair of GNCC's right now , which have awesome traction, but when they are beat, im switching to kenda kutter XC

Thats what i was looking for, I know they are a cheaper alternative, to maxxis and itp, and thats why im interested. I have the Kutter fronts and looking to match the back with some 6 ply woods type tires but don't think i should spend more on 2 ATV tires then i spend on 2 truck tires.

For playing on the MX track i have a second set of 18rear/20fronts for light weight tackyness.