sellers that charge pay pal fees

SD1026

You also have to remember that if you "gift" it and get burned on a deal, you are not covered at all what so ever.

I would only gift money to someone if it is a buddy, a well known member or family members. So i look at the 3% is just insurance. Basically if you buy off someone you don't know to well and they end up burning you by not sending what ever or sending shit in a paper bag, well at least you have "some" chance of recovering some money back anyways.

Gifting only works if the sender has a verified bank account. If you do not have one or if you choose to use a credit card it will charge the fees. The differance is if they send it as a gift and do not use a verified bank account, it charges the fees to the sender not the receiver.

I never eat paypal fees. If someone wishes to use paypal and have the items sent right away, then it is on them to cover it. If not I also accecpt money orders. I have had a few guys send me money orders becasue they did not want to cover the fees or were not in any rush.

I also offer everyone the chance to use the gift option, but I make it known that if they do not send it as a gift that I will return the money because I will not cover the fees.

because you have the option.. either send a mo.. or pay with paypal. I never met someone that turned down a MO..

I have turned down a MO before, a canadian MO that was going to cost me $10/piece to cash/deposit.

You also have to remember that if you "gift" it and get burned on a deal, you are not covered at all what so ever.

I would only gift money to someone if it is a buddy, a well known member or family members. So i look at the 3% is just insurance. Basically if you buy off someone you don't know to well and they end up burning you by not sending what ever or sending shit in a paper bag, well at least you have "some" chance of recovering some money back anyways.

From all the paypal horror stories ive seen on here it seems paypal does not ever pay out in the event of getting ripped off, this is in regards to sending money directly through paypal and not ebay.

Gifting only works if the sender has a verified bank account. If you do not have one or if you choose to use a credit card it will charge the fees. The differance is if they send it as a gift and do not use a verified bank account, it charges the fees to the sender not the receiver.

I never eat paypal fees. If someone wishes to use paypal and have the items sent right away, then it is on them to cover it. If not I also accecpt money orders. I have had a few guys send me money orders becasue they did not want to cover the fees or were not in any rush.

I also offer everyone the chance to use the gift option, but I make it known that if they do not send it as a gift that I will return the money because I will not cover the fees.

That clears things up, thanks.

I never push paypal fees on to the buyer.As a business owner that accepts CC,i am subject to paying merchant fee.Its part of running a business.The fees should be included in the price of the merchandise,that way the buyer has no ill feelings of getting ripped off.I won't even deal with ebayers who require me to pay transaction fees.Those kind of sellers are douchebags IMO.

I walked straight out of a yamaha dealership last year because they wanted me to pay the merchant fee on a 9,000 purchase and I did not even attempt to haggle the price.In a good economy I can see people trying to squeeze every penny out of a sale,but as hard as the dealership was hurting,i can't believe they let me walk out..So I took my business to a mom and pop dealership,bought the same bike and a quad 2 weeks later,no merchant fee.

The original dealership that tried to stick it to me was a huge Honda store,they went under in january..You can be a little greedy,but not too phukin greedy

So you'd rather the guy/gal paying by MO or check to pay the higher price?

I can understand CC and merchant fees, that's part of business...and it's highway robbery.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree...I'm not eating fees on a few hundred dollar sale.

As long as you're up front about here's the price, shipping is X and if you want to use paypal, add the fees, that's up front.

So you'd rather the guy/gal paying by MO or check to pay the higher price?

I can understand CC and merchant fees, that's part of business...and it's highway robbery.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree...I'm not eating fees on a few hundred dollar sale.

As long as you're up front about here's the price, shipping is X and if you want to use paypal, add the fees, that's up front.

Paypal is technically a merchant account,The account fees may be higher than a regular CC processing account,but its there so the average joe can accept CC payments.

If I had to tell my customers that I had to charge them more because they wanted to pay by CC,they would accuse me of ripping them off and move on to the next store.

Or i could figure out what the margin i need to make on the product and add in the additional cost that would cover any merchant fees.I still pass the merchant fee on to the customer,i just do it in a way that doesn't make me look like Im punishing them for their method of payment..

Debit and gift cards have become the rage.The fees are terrible on these ,rather than deny customers the right to use them,I adjusted the price of my products to compensate the loss i was taking from them compared to regular CC.The increase was minimal and no one questioned it because it was across the board.

Everyone has their own approach,but remember,out of sight,out of mind

I think your approach, being a shop/merchant is right. The only ones that differ (at least around here, not sure about anywhere else) is gas station.

They list a cash and credit price.

I think this thread is more geared towards the average Joe who is not a racer or doesn't own a business.

Guys/gals that just sell parts to support their next build. Let's face it...we're always in between builds...LOL.

I understand your point completely, but from a casual seller, etc., I think as long as you're honest and up front it's fine.

• 1 month later...

Gifting only works if the sender has a verified bank account. If you do not have one or if you choose to use a credit card it will charge the fees. The difference is if they send it as a gift and do not use a verified bank account, it charges the fees to the sender not the receiver.

I never eat paypal fees. If someone wishes to use paypal and have the items sent right away, then it is on them to cover it. If not I also accept money orders. I have had a few guys send me money orders because they did not want to cover the fees or were not in any rush.

X2

I just had a member purchase a part from me last night, I specifically asked for him to mark it as a gift so we could avoid the fees. I received his payment and it was not marked as a gift nor were the fees covered. I told the dude that they will need to be covered before I ship, he instantly got pissy, refused, and told me to keep the payment as a donation. I refunded his cash quickly.(I almost kept and donated it to the HQ)

I don't understand it.

It would be like going into a store trying to buy an item that is $40.00, and you get pissed when the clerk wants you to pay the sales tax.

I would love to know how much money they lost with the "gift" processing....

Damn, it has to be in the 10's of millions i bet . If not more :bolt: