600rr engine in my shee

Thanks Bro, that has got to be the best dune pic I have ever taken. Besides, some of use don't have a smoke'n hot old lady to drape over our toys!

well shit, if you cant find a hot girl to post with your bike, some cool looking rocks in the middle of the dunes is the next best thing! :headbang:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERY one I've seen has been a turd.. except one.. I'm not impressed at all by them... Keep in mind.. these big power motors will loose 15-20%hp when the get transplanted into a quad chassis. I've beating 90% of the ones I raced with my lil 4mil cub. And I've been beatin by stock stroke stock cylinder builds... Its still cheaper to do a banshee based motor by the time you factor in labor, and it will be faster.

Its all in a matter of how its built. I don't find factoring in labor as much of a downside. I enjoy what it do, its easy for me to do it. It's not like I'm paying somebody to do the conversion for me. If i had to pay somebody to do it then i would definitely go with a banshee motor. Its not all about being fast for me, that think is a absolute blast to ride around the dunes, and i can ride all day on less then 5 gallons of gas. How many 4mil 100hp bikes can do that?

mine was a 600rr motor and that thing was fuckin heavy. i dont see how there could be a huge weight difference between a 600 and a zx9. maybe someone can get the motor specs, but most of those motors are built fairly similar with the exception of bore size. i think my 600rr motor weighed like 130 pounds or so. thats a far cry from the 80 or 90 of a banshee motor.

Yes there is a a very noticeable difference in the motors, the zx9 has separate cases, bigger transmission, clutch BUT and the cylinder and head are separate. The f4i the cylinders are cast into the top case half, but the f4i makes about the same hp as the zx9, just a little less tq. I don't see how a 40lb difference is a far cry, so what your saying is, that if i ride my banshee (160lbs) and i let my fatter friend (210ish) that the banshee become un-duneable? Its no different then setting up the suspension for the weight of a really fat guy.

Yes there is a a very noticeable difference in the motors, the zx9 has separate cases, bigger transmission, clutch BUT and the cylinder and head are separate. The f4i the cylinders are cast into the top case half, but the f4i makes about the same hp as the zx9, just a little less tq. I don't see how a 40lb difference is a far cry, so what your saying is, that if i ride my banshee (160lbs) and i let my fatter friend (210ish) that the banshee become un-duneable? Its no different then setting up the suspension for the weight of a really fat guy.

any idea on weight difference between the two motors?

i dont recall saying anything about it not being duneable. you could virtually dune ride anything.

and im not comparing different rider weights and all that. rider skill and weight equal, a 4mm cub properly setup should run circles around a streetbike setup. ive had both, so im not just talking about something ive never ridden. and these days, a 4mm cub setup can be had for less than $1200.

im not arguing with you by any means about what can and cant be done, because ive been there and done that. i just think for the time and money spent on the build, there are better alternatives.. plus, if i was going to do it, a banshee frame would be my last choice obviously.

any idea on weight difference between the two motors?

i dont recall saying anything about it not being duneable. you could virtually dune ride anything.

and im not comparing different rider weights and all that. rider skill and weight equal, a 4mm cub properly setup should run circles around a streetbike setup. ive had both, so im not just talking about something ive never ridden. and these days, a 4mm cub setup can be had for less than $1200.

im not arguing with you by any means about what can and cant be done, because ive been there and done that. i just think for the time and money spent on the build, there are better alternatives.. plus, if i was going to do it, a banshee frame would be my last choice obviously.

I'm not trying to start and argument by any-means. And as far as the weight id say your pretty close on 130ish since the 600rr and f4i are pretty close to the same. and the zx9 id say easily close to 200lbs it took two people to lift it. VERY HEAVY. And as most of these conversions get started, i got the motor and harness free, and the frame was a blown up banshee of CL (read CHEAP). we have NO WHERE near 1200 bucks into this whole build, as for the time it would take me this long to get a 4 mil together because i wouldn't buy all the parts at once, im too cheap for that i wait for good deals. And i wont need an override and a lockout (yet ;) ).

The banshee was actually my first choice, mostly because of how cheap they can be had, but i also like the look of them better then a craptor. The f4i is in the frame all i need to do is button up the fuel tank im building and a few little things. But its extended 4" and even with a stock shock its doesn't squat much lower then an assembled banshee. So a properly valved shock is on the list in the back but the front is fine (for now)

Its all in a matter of how its built. I don't find factoring in labor as much of a downside. I enjoy what it do, its easy for me to do it. It's not like I'm paying somebody to do the conversion for me. If i had to pay somebody to do it then i would definitely go with a banshee motor. Its not all about being fast for me, that think is a absolute blast to ride around the dunes, and i can ride all day on less then 5 gallons of gas. How many 4mil 100hp bikes can do that?

You have to factor in labor.. Time is money.. even if its your time. If you enjoy doing it thats great. Not taking anything away from that.

A 4mil cub on gas is going to make 100hp and would be dunner friendly.. might not have the same fuel consumption.. but.. it will be faster. The power to weight ratio of these builds is a big down side not to mention the power loss once they're transplanted into the quad chassis.

I agree with tyler.. Cool builds and all. but.. I just think there is better options for some people.

a little while back, i looked at trading my honda 450r for a suzuki z-400 with a gsxr 600 engine in it. The kid who built is was 18 and did an excellent job to say the least. This quad was TRAIL ridden only for over a year, and had absolutely no problems. No rebuilds, great on gas, and you cant beat the sound of a gixxer engine revving up. The quad radared at 134mph and got there quick. When i rode it, it didnt feel very heavy, felt just right. Now i weigh 160, and with the added weight of the gixxer engine, it probably equalled out to a 200lb rider on a stock z400. Not much of a difference there.

I seriously looked into this quad. If you can get a rolling chassis for a quad, a complete engine and computer/dash from a bike can be had for around $700. look around. Now your into a sick quad for about $1500+a ton of labor hours. But get a few cold ones and the job gets fun. Another expensive piece is the fuel cell that needs tobe made. On the z400 i looked at, and rode, the fuel cell was in the place under the seat where the airbox would normally be and the intake(4 k&N filters) was where the gas tank would normally be. All that needed tobe done on the frame was cut the two top supports and make them wider. Other than that, the rest of the quad was stock geometry. The plastics and seat fit real good, no ugly gaps. The chain and rear sprocket need to be swapped out for a bigger size, but other than that, the quad was perfect. The pipes hung down under the frame and came up above the rear axle to a jardine slipon. If you can fab the motor into the chassis, then you should be able to make a skidplate for the engine/pipes. The pipes dont hang lower than the rear axle anyways so no worries about bottoming out on rocks.

The best add on to the quad was a steering stabilizer, much needed now that it was so much faster than stock. Quad was real comfortable and easy to ride. felt as good as stock, just sounded better and much faster. Im looking to build one myself now, the kid sold it before i could trade. Ive seen cbr engines in banshees, but i know for a fact that a gixxer 600 can be put into a z400 frame and look/run great.